Getting into UNI (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
say for UNSW the requirements for a certain course is 85 UAI

if say i got 86 would that guarantee me in it ?

if not what factors make it not true ?

bobo123

HSC
if the demand for that course by the people with UAIs above you exceeds the quota of available spaces.
thats what my career advisor said anyway :)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
There are NO guarantees when it comes to the cut offs! Last years UAIs have no bearing on what they will be this year (although in most cases they should be more or less similar...) The cut off will just be set by this years demand...and cut offs may also change a lot depending on whether the UNI decides to increase or decrease the number of students into the course.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Bobo and Butterfly are correct
UAI is simply supply and demand
as buttefly said, if spaces available are decreased, cutoffs will tend to rise - eg at UNW this year, they reduced the numbers for Commerce and hence the UAI went up to 95.50

it works like this -
500 spaces available for Bachelor of X
2000 ppl apply for this course
these ppl are ranked based on UAI, and then the UAI of the 500th person (say, 85.20) becomes the reported cutoff for that course

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by MinAi
Bobo and Butterfly are correct
as buttefly said, if spaces available are decreased, cutoffs will tend to rise - eg at UNW this year, they reduced the numbers for Commerce and hence the UAI went up to 95.50

it works like this -
500 spaces available for Bachelor of X
2000 ppl apply for this course
these ppl are ranked based on UAI, and then the UAI of the 500th person (say, 85.20) becomes the reported cutoff for that course
Minai is right as usual :)

(Good to see you've gotten off your arse and started posting here gain too ;) :p )

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
course
Yes! But they reduced the numbers because of cut funding! Blame the government! :p

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
You'll find that the lower the uai, the greater it can fluctuate. Something around 85 uai can fluctuate alot, but will most likely be within 3uai.

With that being said, don't under estimate your abilities. Small improvements can easily change ur 86uai to 90uai.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
With that being said, don't under estimate your abilities. Small improvements can easily change ur 86uai to 90uai.
well said.

kini: lol, yeah, its holiday's so I guess I can be bothered now

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
kini: lol, yeah, its holiday's so I guess I can be bothered now
You're not the only one. Except, I've noticed I have become very annoying lately. :rofl:

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-

I agree, if you just apply yourself you can make a huge difference to your UAI :).

Originally posted by Minai

lol, yeah, its holiday's so I guess I can be bothered now
Holidays eh...in a way I'm not so glad about holidays, I'm going to have to fulfil my resolutions about doing some accounting :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kini mini
I'm going to have to fulfil my resolutions about doing some accounting :p
LOL! Accounting takes up so much of my time. Is that the same with you?! :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by flyin'

LOL! Accounting takes up so much of my time. Is that the same with you?! :)
yes, me too
coz we have to do a damn practice set! (a huge book filled with adjusting entries, bank reconciliations, 100 ledgers and journals etc etc)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
yes, me too
coz we have to do a damn practice set! (a huge book filled with adjusting entries, bank reconciliations, 100 ledgers and journals etc etc)
Let me think: Financial Statements (Performance and Position). Journal entries. Adjusting. Closing. Services. Retailer. All things, I really don't need or find interesting. *Shrugs*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)