non-australian uni's (1 Viewer)

Meesh

hey, does anyone know how it works when applying to say, an american university? would they look at your UAI or just your HSC raw score or what? what do u think?

-meesh

dissonance

Well american universities are strange.

They'd look at your UAI and raw scores but might not really understand what they mean. They'd look for SAT scores (if you've taken them) and your high school grades from year 9 onwards as well as recommendations, an essay you have to write for them as well as the application stuff you have to fill out for them...

They wanna know more about you than just academics.

I just filled out a couple applications during the holidays actually...by the way you can and should apply before you finish yr.12 cause thats how they do it over there.

Year 12 in America is an absolute bludge. you know what uni your gunna go to by the time your half-way through the year
...you can't even explain to them how much work the HSC is.

On the note, how would you try to explain the HSC to someone who has no idea what it is.

(I don't know about how any other countries work)

Meesh

thanks

yeah, ive done some reasearch on them... ive already filled out all my extra curriculaur and the essays... i was just wondering about my UAI and raw scores...

i have even emailed a few, and they say i dont have to take ACT's or equvilant (SAT) unless uve been in an american system for 2 or more years...

Sarah J

HSC
What about in a country like england or something. How would I go about applying to them, or finding out more infor about which uni is which. I asked my careers advisor about going to uni overseas and she just looked at me blankly and said, "No one's ever asked me about that before...I'll look something up for you." That was about 3 months ago.............

dissonance

yeah I don't know anything about england uni's.....

Meesh; It just depends on the university. Some will demand it some wont. Out of interest, which uni's are you looking at???

bex

HSC
i know that a lot of Australian unis allow students to defer studies in aus for a year and go on exchange o/s. You can then do subjects in whichever country that count towards your credit points here... and you still pay aussie fees instead of the currency o/s...

p00_p00

any1 considered Kyrgyzstanian Univeristies (or academy's) as they are called!

U dont need a UAI or anythin..... just pretend that u know what ur talkin about and theyd probly put u in nuclear division!

Lee

Originally posted by bex
i know that a lot of Australian unis allow students to defer studies in aus for a year and go on exchange o/s. You can then do subjects in whichever country that count towards your credit points here... and you still pay aussie fees instead of the currency o/s...
thats what i plan on doing for UC.

and poo poo! shut up with the nukeing stuff!!!+

AcCeSs-DeNieD

well I know one thing about the england universities.... the interviews they give you are a major factor in attending there as well as your grades and shit....

I know a friend who is like 95% in every subject but got denied from Cambridge because her interview didn't go very well... she's now in Yale over in the US now... so I guess the story had a semi-happy ending.....

chait

Originally posted by Meesh
hey, does anyone know how it works when applying to say, an american university? would they look at your UAI or just your HSC raw score or what? what do u think?

-meesh
RE American unis

this post might be a bit late, but you still might find it helpful..
this is from a friend's email to me..

"I found that Americans tend to spend more time in the classroom during lecture and spend less time doing self-study and no time in tutorials. Two Australians I met at uni in the US, thought the American system was a bit boring and that there was too much instructor guidance. I, on the other hand, thought that the instructors in Australia were hardly accessible. The conclusion that have come to is that in the American system uni instructors are at university to teach students and their research is secondary. In the Australian or British system, it seems that an instructor's research is their primary focus and teaching is their side-job".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)