Which uni do you think is the most prestigious (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyBoy

HSC
Out of the unis within NSW, which universities do you think are the most prestigious? (without this turning into a uni bashing excercise)

Personally i think its between USYD, UTS, UNSW, ANU.

I think it would be a hard choice to decide which is most prestigious when it comes to social reputation.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hehehe wonder why you didnt put UWS.
Well I wouldnt say UTS or ANU are prestigious.
It's a head to head battle between usyd and unsw.
Usyd (from memory) is the oldest, and has for a long time been attributed to prestigue (spelling?)
A prestigious sports prog, a prest union a prest library, a prets campus etc etc.
Whether it is the best uni atm is hard to say though.
But strictly speaking in terms of your question, I think usyd is the one

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
In terms of prestige, USYD wins quite convincingly. Most of its campuses are sandstone campuses, and it's the one which has the best reputation. That said, it has the shittiest student cards of any university.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
but its so out of the way :p ...unless ure a canberian (if thats what theyre called)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
USYD. It's the oldest. Age equals prestige.

But the G8 are the prestigious uni's in Australia.
how does UTAS rate? after all, Tasmania did establish their Supreme Court earlier than NSW.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
MINE!!!!!!!! is the most prestigious.... why??? because I'm there!!!
HAHAHAHAHHAH OOOOH AHAHAHAHAH........ no. go away. youre not funny

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Sorry to be blunt... but this is such a stupid question.

Different unis have good reputations for different areas and different reasons.

Different people have different opinions on different unis based on what they have heard.

You may have heard that USyd is the best uni in Australia.... or you might have heard that a large proportion of the student population are pretentious and snobby.

You may have heard that ANU is a "country" uni... or you may have heard that they have the best law education in Australia.

You may have heard that UTS is ugly and has a crap campus... or you may have heard that they have good industry focused education and a practical approach in a variety of their degree programs.

You may have heard that Macq is the best for actuarial.... or that it is out of the way.

You may have heard that CSU is crap because it is in the country... or you might know that they offer some excellent health science courses, as well as other courses, and provide an invaluable service to regional areas.

Everyone has different opinions on prestige, you can't judge it. E.g. in my home town it was prestigious to be moving away to Sydney or Melbourne, or even Canberra, to go to uni... it didn't even matter what uni it was. In fact, in my home town, actually going to uni is a bit of an honour.

In my opinion, people who care about this so called "prestige" of a uni are uncertain of themselves and feel the need to validate themselves through the name of their university. You should pick a course based on the content and the quality of the course at that particular university. You shouldn't pick a course based on this non-existant apparently all encompasing aura of "prestige"......

berghousemaa

HSC
Typical of someone who doesn't go to a prestige uni.
While prestige may be subjective it is far from being valueless.
Two identical job candidates, one went to CSU the other USyd, most employers would go for the USyd candidate

Generator

HSC
N/A
berghousemaa said:
Two identical job candidates, one went to CSU the other USyd, most employers would go for the USyd candidate
Even with similar grades they would not be identical... Despite the similarities and the common benchmarks set by the registering authorities, each institution offers its own degree programme and as such you cannot just assume that an employer would automatically choose one student over another as a result of the 'sandstone' influence. Prestige helps, but it isn't the deciding factor.

berghousemaa

HSC
No it's not the deciding factor but you're not denying that going to a prestige uni will enable you to have a slightly better chance at a job with most employers.

Generator

HSC
N/A
No, I'm not. However, the prestige factor counts for little if you do not make use of the entrenched networks and the resources and facilities that the prestigious university has to offer.

In Australia the prestige factor isn't a great concern in general, though.

ohne

HSC
ANU is easily the best Uni in Australia. After that all of the GO8 Unis are good.

LazyBoy

HSC
i created it becaause im interested in the discussion. this wasnt meant as a uni bashing thing, its nothing to do with which uni is better because thats a complete other and more intensive discussion. This is simply which uni is the most pristigious. eg which is the oxford of NSW etc.

btw i wouldnt say maquarie is out of the way, its the closest by far to myself. the city uni's are out of my way. lol

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's not a matter of opinion. It's cold hard facts.
Did anyone else here about some sort of amalgamation between USyd and ANU today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)