Referencing (1 Viewer)

*sarah*

HSC
Hi, i'm writing my first uni essay at the moment :S and i just have a question about referencing. See i seem to be referencing every single sentance so im ending up with 10 or more refernces a page!

Plz can someone tell me if this is too many, cause to me that just seems wrong.

Thanx heaps

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're referencing every single sentence, I suggest you try and put things into your own words more often. References should be used to support your argument, not dominate it.

*sarah*

HSC
I have put things in my own words, but dont u still have to reference it, cause it is based on someone elses ideas?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Pretty much, and it is much better to over-reference than be caught out for under-referencing (you would think so, anyway). However, just remember that it is your argument and that it is being supported by the ideas of those you are citing, so even if you appear to be referening paraphrased ideas or direct quotes all the time just remember to clearly articulate your own position as often as necessary.

I hope that that helps, and that it in some way conincides with what others may say, too.

santaslayer

HSC
For a 7 page essay I had 16 references and I was still caught under referencing. Fuck them.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
You reference everything that isn't your own idea. Being your first essay, its quite typical that you know nothing, and are referencing all the time.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Just make sure you've got a few sentences in which you have said something original, and thus do not need to reference.

Tabris

HSC
I finishing up my economics assignment and every bit of content is written under my own words from the textbook (its a textbook assignment basically), i heard that u still have to reference, but seeeing how nearly everything is paraphrased from the book, how much do i have to reference?

so far i got about 10 footnotes for 500 words and 4 diagrams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)