bachelor of social work (1 Viewer)

HSC
it's basically a copy of my thread on usyd page but no one seems to answer it so i don't think alot of people here do social work but if you do know something about it, then please post any details.

i'm planning to do social work at sydney uni next year if i don't get into commerce or business. but i don't know alot about the social policy major. is it possible to get a job after graduation? and how many hours do i need to attend uni if i do bachelor of social work?
also, can i work in any other fields other than counselling if i decide to take up the social policy major.

HSC
I don't do Social Work, but this is just info I have picked up from a few of my friends doing social work @ sydney and unsw. Basically social work at usyd is a b arts for the first two years of the course, and with work placement in the third or fourth year. I'm not sure about the job prospects, but if you do the work placement, that should help your chances of getting a job. But I'mnot sure if it is to do with social policy; the person I know on work placement is doing Centrelink counselling, making sure whether they have a claim for a payment. Not sure if thats the general social work thing, or just an individual thing.

I think if you do B social work, you the same hours as an arts person, so about 12-14 hrs, from what my friend tells me. Not too sure about the structure of the course regarding majors, you might want to check out the online handbooks etc.

Btw, can I ask why you have social work as a preference after commerce-y subjects? They seem very different...or do you want to concentrate on policy making/government type subjects in the commerce degrees or something?

Reading back, I dont think this helped you much, but hopefully it gave you a bit more info... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)