Macquarie Lifestyle (1 Viewer)

Cuenca47

HSC
What lifestyle does Macquarie University have? What kind of people go there and what is its vibe?

Last edited by a moderator:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Spelling done for you, do try and take a bit more care next time :)

Its a fairly small and quiet uni, there are basically a number of groups which are present, and account for the vast majority of the one's you'll find elsewhere. The general vibe is laid back though, you wont have the hustle and bustle nor the competitiveness at Macquarie that you'd find in other universities like USYD or UNSW. The campus is not 'small' but its not large either, you could easily make it from one end to the other in under 5-10 minutes.

Having said that, you could easily not spend anytime on campus or choose to spend most of your time on campus. I didn't spend too much time in my first semester/year but have since come to love it :)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
My first year was sort of crap... I only made a few friends and I could go to uni any day of the week randomly and not see anyone I knew...I felt pretty lonely, uni life was nothing I had imagined. If i did meet up with someone I'de have to ring them and organise a date and time. So there wern't many run-ins with people. However it's your first year so you do tend to spend a lot of time with the few friends that you've made at the bar n stuff.

2nd year was awsome- made friends that were very outgoing and not shy, circle of friends expanded 4-fold. Going to uni, meant running into someone you knew and cud have a lil chit-chat with.

3rd year (this year)- I can tell this year is going to be better than previous years, not only because your circle of friends have expanded but because i think i've changed (more outgoing, will talk to anyone etc) , going to uni, now means actually running into several people at uni that are good mates and having coffee and lunch with them, whilst meeting even more people through them.

My first year was crap and I think 2nd year had a lot to do with the type of subjects I did... BBA111, BBA102 and some other 2nd year subjects involved doing group projects and speaking up in tutes and making your presence known. You tend to make a lot of good friends in your second year I think.

I think lifestyle-wise... its nothing like highschool, no one cares if you walk around by yourself, not even you.. you go on with your business, whilst meeting new people and having a coffee with them along the way.

How deep the friendships you make at uni and how many parties you goto are totally dependent on you and how much effort you put into it. You can talk to everyone at uni and no one will give you that "why are you talking to me" look.

HSC
N/A
MQ to me has a real "make your own lifestyle" kind of vibe. There's no real pressure to be anywhere or do anything or be in a particular group, so a lot of people are really laid back :)

I like laid back.

CieL

HSC
Well.. people like us go there.. and if you browse through the MQ forum, it's pretty much about stalking people =]

But yeah, it's my 2nd week of uni and I've met quite a range of people.. from my primary school friends, to people I knew at church years back, to some random outgoing TAFE people, to n00bs like me..

Actually I think people are pretty nice.. I was with my friend just at the Arcade and the guy he was playing with on the game just started chatting to him..

OoOOhh my mentor leaders were really outgoing.. they were cool..

Yeah ok, enough about the people.. but that's all I know.. X]

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
It's got the 'green' vibe. It's friendly, laid-back and non-judgemental. If that is what you want from uni, you'll like it.

sly fly

HSC
It's the best....it's very social, very 'bright/colourful/active' if those terms are correct, people there are very friendly and it's not as competitive as some other uni's :)

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
I found the uni to be like a firneldy city almost. If you are stuck or lost, more often than not, you dodn't even have to ask, people come up to you and ask if you need help cause you look a bit lost or bewildered. It is much better than high school,
I think lifestyle-wise... its nothing like highschool, no one cares if you walk around by yourself, not even you.. you go on with your business, whilst meeting new people and having a coffee with them along the way.
This is so true - you don't feel like a loner, you feel like an academic individual.
I have only been at univeristy two weeks, and I feel I have already 'slotted' in place - the vibe and flow is just so easy to get into and yeah - i like it very mcuh :D *cheesy smile*

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
lol its fob...

even friken upstairs is fob-alised

BRING BACK THE ROAST!

H?

buddy
HSC
:: ck :: said:
lol its fob...

BRING BACK THE ROAST!
Does anyone else think that the "asian foodcourt" is utter crap?

I'm asian, and am used to takeaway asian food, but I doubt I could stomach some of the gruel on offer there.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
:: ck :: said:
lol its fob...

BRING BACK THE ROAST!
Depends where you hang out, I barely see any fobs anymore

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
H? said:
Does anyone else think that the "asian foodcourt" is utter crap?
YES! I was so dizzy and lightheaded and nauseaus (how the heck do you spell that?) after eating that stuff. Never going near it again.

X

xeuyrawp

Skittled said:
YES! I was so dizzy and lightheaded and nauseaus (how the heck do you spell that?) after eating that stuff. Never going near it again.
That's disgusting.

From that one testimony, I am never going to even buy a drink from that place.

Tabris

HSC
Skittled said:
Ii prefer the old cafeteria isntead of the asian food court, after seeing the food, its obvious its 2nd rate. The rice is so poor that u cant hold it with the chopstick and the dishes looks nowhere near your average take away quality.

What was more startling was this little girl. Judging by her appearence she looked like she is 6, walking around with dishes in her hands. At first i though she was someone's daughter, but she had a blue dish cloth in her hand. She was wiping the tables and collecting the plates as people left!.

SAM must be going bad if they are contracting the cafeteria to some 2nd rate food provider, using cheap and child labour.

Edit: i miss the days of roast beef/steak with chips and red wine gravy.....

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Tabris said:
...SAM must be going bad if they are contracting the cafeteria to some 2nd rate food provider, using cheap and child labour.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. SAM's (apparently) the provider of the 'student lifestyle'.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ok, i'm getting the vibe that they have changed the upstairs cafe? i haven't been up there yet this year. does that mean there aren't any kebabs? :uhoh:

why aren't sam making things better so we want to pay fees next semester?

H?

buddy
HSC
iambored said:
ok, i'm getting the vibe that they have changed the upstairs cafe? i haven't been up there yet this year. does that mean there aren't any kebabs? :uhoh:

why aren't sam making things better so we want to pay fees next semester?
There were kebabs??

Damn, I've missed out - seems like the old outlet was better.

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
I find the foodhall scary - so i just bring food from home :p
If you find the prices/food bad - why not just buy at MQ Centre on the way to uni or during break or somethign - more choice, better food, less cost

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
its amazing at how much money you save buy bringing lunch from home

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)