I am going to be taking up Hospitality next year... (1 Viewer)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
And l was wondering if anyone who has done it for a year or two could enlighten me on what you do exactly and how hard it is and any study guides or notes you used (excel etc)

Thanks.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
why would you miss a lot of school? I also heard that the uniforms are very VERY expensive.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Also, can u get an excel book for hospitality? And is hospitality the same as food tech??

Funky_Junky

HSC
u have to do work placement or some crap like tat and it costs u 2 precious(kiddin) weeks of skool!!

uniforms are expensive, there are like $100...

Last edited:

Funky_Junky

HSC
oh yeah u can get an excel book for hospitality.

one more thing food tech and hospitality aren't the same coz food tech is all theory while hospitaliy is mostly practical.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sarah_#1_eel
why would you miss a lot of school? I also heard that the uniforms are very VERY expensive.
Hey Sarah, well at our school over yrs 11 and 12 we did about 3 or 4 functions, which usually take a day up of school, then we had to prepare, etc before hand. We also got to hire a uniform and tool boxes over the 2 yrs.

carla

HSC
N/A
i havnt done it but friends have. the uniforms for yr 12 are VERY expensive, its a full on chefs outfit. for yr 11, (at my skool anyway) its just a white top and black pants.
the knives and everything are also very expensive..but i guess, look at it this way, if you wanna be a chef, at least you will have most of the stuff.
i think theres quite a bit of theory to learn (well it seems that way anyway) about various cooking methods and stuff.
there is an excel book.
you take a week in yr 11 and a week in yr 12 to do work placements, so your not really missing THAT much time off.

ok, hope that helped ;)

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
you miss a wk of school in yr 11 for work experience which is usually 35-40 hrs of work that wk
then in yr 12 u do work exp for another wk.
so u miss 2 wks of school over 2 yrs for work placement u have to do the work placement it is part of the course. then u will prob only miss a few days here and there doing functions.
its a easy sub to pass! one of the easiest exams ive ever done, if you know ur work its all cool.have fun!

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Oh ok, thatnks for helping. One more question, what do you do in work placement? Do they expect you to cook for their customers, like really big meals..or what?? Bceuase l get REALY nervous when l'm under a lot of pressure to perform well..

l also want to do REALLY well in my subjects next year... :)

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Oh ok, thatnks for helping. One more question, what do you do in work placement? Do they expect you to cook for their customers, like really big meals..or what?? Bceuase l get REALY nervous when l'm under a lot of pressure to perform well..

l also want to do REALLY well in my subjects next year... :)
oh for placement i went to 2 places the first place in yr 11 was awful, all they made me do for the week was clean , and they were quite rude aswell, it wasnt what i call work experience because i hardley did a thing with food. But in yr 12 this yr I went to another place and I had heaps of fun and exp there. we helped with food preperation, doing stuff like making salads, chopping up foods, preparing diff foods etc. They dont expect u to cook really big meals or anything coz they know ur just learning and stuff.. u should have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)