food tech advice (1 Viewer)

sek94

Hey everyone doing food tech!
I did the HSC last year and came first in the state for Food Tech. I just thought i'd share a few things with you to help:
#1 For every point you write whether it be in short answers or extended response make sure you have an example. Use relevent examples- like products on the market today or recent innovations. It may help if you go into a supermarket and spend a decent amount of time looking at all the different products- thier packaging materials, their advertising, their nutritioal panels etc and tie them in with any of the areas of study.
#2 Milk is a perfect example for most product questions- it comes in different packaging- glass bottle, plastic, UHT tetra packs and many diffferent forms to meet consumer demands- low fat, flavoured, condensed, powdered etc. Be sure to know all the properties of the packaging. Also know what effects choice of packaging- e.g B and C vitamins are loss as a result of light and/or heat exposure and know how to store it and why (fridge- microbial growth etc)
choose a few products like milk and bread and try to relate them to every topic in the course. Know their pathway throughout the food industry. I reckon examiners love it when you interrelate topics and use nice relevant examples.
You guys proabaly know all this of coarse.
Umm...oh yeah and i have a few freinds who reckon food tech is scaled down and you can't get a good UAI from it- NOT TRUE! i did it and got 98.25. Oh and please, don't stress. The HSC is soooo over rated. Just do your best and don't freak out.
Good Luck!!!
Shelley Keating

sneaker

thanks for the advice,
just a question, did you get close to 100% for your trials last year? because I am curious as to how much of an indication they are...

sek94

I didn't get 100% in either- i got 97% in my trials and 97% in the HSC. I have a few friends who did better in the HSC than the trials and so thier overall mark (which is roughly an average of the two) was pulled up.

sek94

I'm at Uni of Wollongong doing Exercise Science and Rehabilitation. I did food tech coz i thought i wanted to do sports nutrition, but like almost everyone i know, i changed my mind.

swangal

those marks were awes! congrats! relieving to kno its not tru that food tech gets scaled down to nothing..97% is an excellent HSC mark

Brownie

foodtech is treated as a science, so it doesnt get marked down at all....anyone who thinks foodtech is easy obviously doesnt understand the point of it!

bechope

In reponse to Brownie, Just because its regarded as a science does not mean that it gets scaled in any particular way..its scaled or 'marked down' or up depending on how food tech students go across the board compared to their other subjects. If the average is high, it is seen as an easy course and the average is then scaled down. That is why maths scales well because generally the average is around the 50's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)