Food Manufacture (1 Viewer)

sneaker

Can anyone give me a brief overview of how the Impact of food manufacturing technologies please? the only thing that i can think of is over-processing... please?

swangal

how?? impact on environment or what??
off the top of my head - overpackaging = increased landfill
more machinery=greater use of natural resources
But if ur talking generally doesnt it refer to things like technology has resulted in new heating,packaging mathods..eg. sous vide,, um food being developed for the military n space missions,wllows people to gain greater convenience in thier food choices and to enjoy a busier lifestyle thru things like single serve microwavable meals...
not sure if thats what u meant or whether wat i wrotes right but hope it helps

sneaker

thanks for that but could you explain how food manufacturing technologies impact on nutrition? (it's a dot point in the syllabus)

[my fault for being so vague]

sek94

All the low fat/low salt/ high fibre products are being manufactured in response to CVD awareness and blood pressure problems etc. Also the increase in omega 3 products (like eggs which had a decrease in sales because of choleaterol levels but then were re introduced into the market as the 'body egg' with omega 3's and are successful again). The AFI has also responded to nutrition by increasing the production of poultry (e.g chicken) over the fattier red meats, and introducing game meats like kangaroo which have predominantly polyunsaturated fats. Technologies baking, not frying potato crisps are popular as well as centrifuging crisps to remove fat e.g those vegetable chips (forgotten what brand). Just think about the market and all the health food products that are booming in the market.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)