Cliche (1 Viewer)

sirius_g

HSC
Well, I thought I might offer a little advise to all the 2004 students out there, especially those suffering with food tech childminders from hell. Just a note - my food tech childminder called me uncooperative and practical dumb eg commented that she would never had given my assessments the mark that my food tech teacher did ( she left) anyway I came in the Top 5 in the state so she can stick that up her an*s ( Donnie Darko was my salvation)

CAUTION - long!!!!!!!!

AFI

This is the easiest of all food tech topics. The important approach here is to pick a company you can use for ALL the remainding topics. Eg MacDonalds is a great multinational company example. There continual product innovations in order to achieve market share means they are a good choice for Food Product Development eg Company Profitability. More important there Salads Plus menu can be used for Reasons for Food Product Development and Health Issues. It can also be used for the Nutrition option. As well Macdonalds which has seen a reduced market presence due to healthier alternatives such as Subway ( which will be the second largest franchiser in Australia by the end of the year) has undertaken a huge publicity campaign to promote the business as green. This can be used in the last section of the food manufacturing topic eg Environmental Issues. If you visit a Macdonalds store you should find a pamphlet containing information ( Even has its own reduce, reuse and recycle section)about how the litres of fat produced from each restaurant is recycled into soap and cattlefeed. Or about how the business has installed controlled water taps to reduce wastage and energy-saving lights.
The laws are really important to know in the 2004 HSC, as they are the only section not to be covered to indepth. Look out for the environmental laws, and trade practices the Excel Food Tech book has great dot points on each law - just remember the main points and then expand. More important be able to relate them to specific businesses.

FM

In studying a product you should choose everyday necessities as these have the most readily available info and also can be used for other product areas eg Milk- line extensions include reduced-fat, skim, iron-enriched, calcium-enriched, omega-3 enriched. This can be used for the nutrition and marketplace options as well as Food product development. Another good option is canned foods eg canned pears. Information on the canning process is readily available ( eg Excel textbook) - foremost knowing a canned product will mean you can talk about the processes and packaging easily. If you have a food tech teacher ask if they can find you a sheet on Golden Circle Carrots it has all the QC and processes. Another idea is Yakult the website has extensive information on everything - and you can use this for nutrition eg active non-nutrients. A note to milk is the dairy-corpation of Australia in order to promote milk produces a large amount of resources check your library for there publications ( its my hero) it has everything from production eg ( AFI) all the food products from milk ( eg yoghurt and there production) its effects on the environment ( eg cows producing methane) and social and economic effects ( eg imports and exports) also marketing eg Is your man getting enough campaign

Food Product Development

The hardest topic in terms of developing a product. Developing a line-extension of Sara Lee Bites may be more fun, and interesting to do, but it will in all likely hood limit your ability to use your knowledge from FPD in other areas of the topic and course ( I took the fun product road, and lended learning milk, just before the exam, however if taking the product is great for Steps in Food Product Development). Eg developing of a bread enriched with omega-3's, vitamin E . Crucially in product development if done well ,you should be able to change your product's name in an exam to a real product eg above product development could be changed to the product Tip Top Up which is Omega-3 fortified bread line-extension by Tip Top.
Apart from this it is the second easiest topic - Just remember examples you need EXAMPLES for everything - the standards package 2002 has a great FPD essay ( exemplar) if you can't be bothered to think of some. And Product Tests , this is part of your syllabus outcomes and has been in every exam so far -
* Note my food tech childminder arrived on this part of the course

Nutrition

Two things crucial - the knowledge learned hear should be applied to Food product Development topic eg Gluten-free breads have been developed due to people suffering Coeliacs disease. Milk-intolerances have led to lactose-free milk. The immense impact of people suffering from heart-disease has called for products to be lower in fat ( especially saturated fat) , salt, cholesterol and fibre eg Arnotts Snack Right.
New things to learn will include FIGAC ( acronyms really help too) Food Industry, Private Agencies, Community groups, Individuals, Governments. However, you should have examples from previous topics eg Food Industry eg Food Service and Catering Macdonalds

To conclude Food Tech is a really great and easy subject. You don't need a food tech teacher ( Eventually my parents got me removed from her childminding sessions) Just examples, and examples which you can interlate to the whole course
It really cuts down your work, you can learn the whole course in a month or week.

Goodluck!!!!!!

sneaker

sounds like you had a great teacher for the beginning of the course, why'd she leave?

Did you end up changing teachers or did you just decide not to go to class? Congrats anyways on your mark, 5th place is MAAADDD!! congrats, did you like get 98/99 for fte or something????

If I were you I would go over to your 'childminder' and rub your marks in her face, but make it clear that she didn't contribute anything to your success! hahaha

Oh and to the 2004s take all of sirius_g's advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)