Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Any 2014'ers here? :D

  1. #1
    Survivor of the HSC rumbleroar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    7

    Any 2014'ers here? :D

    ^

    what unit are you guys studying first? We did AFI and Policy + legislation first!
    B/Civil + B/Arch @ USYD 2015

  2. #2
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    Same! Pretty boring in my opinion. How'd you find it?

  3. #3
    Survivor of the HSC rumbleroar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    I found a lot of it pretty interesting :P I admit some parts of it is a bit repetitive, but I really liked learning about the emerging technologies part. V. interesting!! Policy and leg was a massive blur though I remember nothing LOL

    which topic are you excited for?
    B/Civil + B/Arch @ USYD 2015

  4. #4
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    Hmm maybe it's because of my teacher. I was writing notes during these holidays for that topic and found it more interesting reading out of the textbook then learning it in class haha. I'm excited for the nutrition topics as always. How about you?

  5. #5
    Survivor of the HSC rumbleroar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    Aw sorry about your teacher. my teacher is amazing haha she makes the class very interesting!

    how long are your notes? are you using FT in action as well?
    I'm excited for nutrition as well!! I love that topic, it's so interesting also interesting in packaging/manufacturing (especially the business/marketing aspects - I really like analysing stuff like that!)
    B/Civil + B/Arch @ USYD 2015

  6. #6
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    It's okay cause I'm going to have a different one this year. She wasn't too bad, it just feel that I learn a lot more out of a textbook I guess haha. How do you feel about the scaling rumors/facts about food tech?

  7. #7
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkrider View Post
    I wish my school offered FT - they have Hospitality which is more practical orientated, so I decided not to continue the course from year 10 on.
    Yeah, I don't think hospo would have been my cup of tea either.

  8. #8
    Survivor of the HSC rumbleroar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    Quote Originally Posted by s-tressed View Post
    It's okay cause I'm going to have a different one this year. She wasn't too bad, it just feel that I learn a lot more out of a textbook I guess haha. How do you feel about the scaling rumors/facts about food tech?
    hpoe your new teacher is good haha what type of learner are you

    and tbh I know the scaling stuff exists, but I try not to be fazed by it. no point in worrying in something that could potentially not affect you if you do well (by well I mean like > 95 haha) I'm just going to try my very best (aiming for SR!) and not worry too much about scaling. I think those types of superficial fears only harm your performance so yeah, jsut going to focus on myself and doing the best I can :P
    B/Civil + B/Arch @ USYD 2015

  9. #9
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    Quote Originally Posted by rumbleroar View Post
    hpoe your new teacher is good haha what type of learner are you

    and tbh I know the scaling stuff exists, but I try not to be fazed by it. no point in worrying in something that could potentially not affect you if you do well (by well I mean like > 95 haha) I'm just going to try my very best (aiming for SR!) and not worry too much about scaling. I think those types of superficial fears only harm your performance so yeah, jsut going to focus on myself and doing the best I can :P
    I'm the type of learner that likes to read to take in the information, likes to be quizzed and also likes to be told the information. Not sure if I fit in a particular category haha.

    and yeah, that's how I feel as well. I just hope the hard work pays off in the end.

  10. #10
    Survivor of the HSC rumbleroar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    Quote Originally Posted by s-tressed View Post
    I'm the type of learner that likes to read to take in the information, likes to be quizzed and also likes to be told the information. Not sure if I fit in a particular category haha.

    and yeah, that's how I feel as well. I just hope the hard work pays off in the end.
    haha I think you're a rote learner by the sounds of it! not 100% sure, but that's what I'm leaning towards

    Best of luck for this year how many people in your class btw?
    B/Civil + B/Arch @ USYD 2015

  11. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    hey everyone
    I did food manufacture first... not sure why. Then im doing: food product development, nutrition and finally Australian food industry

  12. #12
    Cadet favvify's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    Hey Food Tech-ers, there aren't much of us out there and on this site, so I'm just letting you know that you can message me if you need any help or guidance.

    I finished with a 97 in the HSC (and that was a very weird paper), and overall just loved the subject - with nutrition being my definite strongpoint. Good luck to all of you!
    "Lord, what fools these mortals be!"

  13. #13
    Survivor of the HSC rumbleroar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    Quote Originally Posted by ncisisthebest View Post
    hey everyone
    I did food manufacture first... not sure why. Then im doing: food product development, nutrition and finally Australian food industry
    We started food manufacture this term :P weird how you guys do AFI last! there's quite a bit to remember, especially with policy and legislation :P but overall, it was a pretty good topic any tips for food manufacture?

    Quote Originally Posted by favvify View Post
    Hey Food Tech-ers, there aren't much of us out there and on this site, so I'm just letting you know that you can message me if you need any help or guidance.

    I finished with a 97 in the HSC (and that was a very weird paper), and overall just loved the subject - with nutrition being my definite strongpoint. Good luck to all of you!
    wow, congrats on your amazing HSC mark! sounds like a state-rank kind of mark do you have any advice to give for managing the heavy theory content?
    B/Civil + B/Arch @ USYD 2015

  14. #14
    Cadet favvify's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    Quote Originally Posted by rumbleroar View Post
    wow, congrats on your amazing HSC mark! sounds like a state-rank kind of mark do you have any advice to give for managing the heavy theory content?
    Listen in class:If you have even just a basic knowledge of what your teacher is talking about, it makes it a lot easier to go home and study later. I was so exhausted during year 12 because of the workload + early bus, so sometimes I would drift off and not really take much in.

    Work out how you learn: I learn best by reading and writing (writing out notes, and then summarising them, etc), so I would go through my textbook and highlight important sections and out them into my own words. I also wrote up my own comprehension type questions that I would complete the following day, week, or month (e.g. a red pigment in tomatoes, (lycopene) is a phytochemical that may assist in preventing (hormonal cancers) such as those of the (prostate) and (breast).)

    Two days before my HSC I made up colour coded flashcards that I just went over and over and over again until my exam. My main reason for doing so was the fact that I sucked at legislation, and no matter how hard I read over my work, I could never get them into my head. So, I categorised them into federal, state and local levels, as well as what they reflected (environment, worker safety, consumer safety, etc) - please keep in mind that they can ask you specifically about something, such as 3 examples of environmental legislation at a state level and their influence. I had these colour coded, and different patterns on the card (e.g. hard lines, dots, zig zags) reflected a different level of government. Then I had a separate set that just had these distinctions on the answer side, so I had to know them, and list all of the points on the back without a prompt.

    Trust me when I say that the only way to get through legislation is to memorise them all and know their categories. Knowing the Food Act and Trade Practices Acts isn't enough to get you through. Trust me.

    Go above and beyond:You've probably worked out already that it is relatively easy to pass food tech, but almost impossible to make it into the top bands. EXTRA RESEARCH WILL BE YOUR BEST FRIEND. Nutrition was my best topic, and I ended up reading so much extra material on it just for reference notes. The HSC is about backing up everything that you say. A number of my teachers would ask me a question and ask "why?" after each justification I made. It was really annoying, but if you get into the habit of backing and linking up your points with justification and the question, that is exactly what they are looking for. ATSI are at a higher risk of type 2 diabetes? Why? - because of the thrifty gene - because of their nomadic and unpredictable primal lifestyle - for survival - sugar (esp. fructose) > insulin spike > weight gain > over consumption of sugar > overproduction of insulin > abdominal weight gain > type 2 diabetes ~ limited access to education/fresh wholesome foods/limited economic resources/etc - then back it up with statistics and/or a quote from an esteemed med journal or book.

    If you have linking subjects (e.g. PDHPE, CAFS, Bio) you'll be studying for a number at a time, which helps. Same reason why I made sure that my Belonging and Conflicting Perspectives English Advanced (of you do standard your teacher may choose one for you) related text could relate to both - only had to learn one really well! (my back up could also have been used for both).

    Figure out how your teacher marks:My teacher was a really tough marker, and I topped my class' trial HSC mark with a 76. Just before the HSC she told us all not to worry because a 70 by her standard of marking was more like a 90. So please consider this. I know at my previous school a number of my friends kept going on about how they were getting 95s in their exams, and NO ONE from that school achieved a band 6, two only just scraping in with a band 5. Another way to work this out is to look at your school rank. HSC school was ranked in the top 90, old school was ranked in the 300s.

    I know that is all a bit over the place - if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. I've created a specific FT help thread that you can find here that I will be patrolling reguarly as well.
    "Lord, what fools these mortals be!"

  15. #15
    Survivor of the HSC rumbleroar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    bump, would be great to see any 2014'ers out and about!
    B/Civil + B/Arch @ USYD 2015

  16. #16
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Jamisontown
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    Hi we are doing AFI and Food Manufacture.

    Personally I found AFI boring, but I think that food manufacture is interesting because you get to see the different methods of food manufacturing.

  17. #17
    Survivor of the HSC rumbleroar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Any 2014'ers here? :D

    Quote Originally Posted by amz96 View Post
    Hi we are doing AFI and Food Manufacture.

    Personally I found AFI boring, but I think that food manufacture is interesting because you get to see the different methods of food manufacturing.
    we're doing similar topics too!
    I quite like both topics right! I think policy and legislation for AFI was pretty intense and I can barely remember a thing about it haha
    where are you guys up to in food manufacture?
    B/Civil + B/Arch @ USYD 2015

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •