BusComp dead, BBusBscit (1 Viewer)

HSC
Trying to find out the subjects for next year I have found that my entire course got deleted from the internets !!!
BusComp is no longer, under the same course number is a new course called
"C10219v3 Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Science in Information Technology"
Here is the info.
changed course structure:

CBK90169 Major choice 48cpSTM90273 Core subjects 48cpSTM90651 Core subjects 48cpCBK90781 Major choice 48cpTotal 192cp

(as opposed to the previous structure which had an elective, 66 credit points of core subjects and an IT submajor)
BBusBscit students now have two majors for respective degrees.

The new majors are:
MAJ02080 Business Information Systems Management48cp MAJ03444 Enterprise Systems Development48cp MAJ03445 Internetworking and Applications48cp MAJ02081 Computing and Data Analytics48cp

Other than that, the new core subjects are:
31265 Communication for IT Professionals 6cp31266 Introduction to Information Systems 6cp31267 Programming Fundamentals 6cp31268 Web Systems 6cp31269 Business Requirements Modelling 6cp31270 Networking Essentials 6cp31271 Database Fundamentals 6cp31272 Project Management and the Professional 6cp

Suprisingly 'Communication for IT Professionals' if i remember correctly was the subject undertaken by students who FAILED the english test before we started our degree, looks like all students need to take this subject now.

They've gotten rid of Computer Fundamentals, YAY!!!
replaced information systems principles with introduction to information systems. and replaced systems modelling with web systems.
Systems development project has taken too.
Entire course strucutre for someone choosing the Computing and Data Analytics Major:

Computing and Data Analytics majorYear 1Autumn semester 31265 Communication for IT Professionals 6cp31266 Introduction to Information Systems 6cp22107 Accounting for Business 6cp21129 Managing People and Organisations 6cpSpring semester 31267 Programming Fundamentals 6cp31268 Web Systems 6cp25115 Economics for Business 6cp24108 Marketing Foundations 6cpYear 2Autumn semester 31269 Business Requirements Modelling 6cp31270 Networking Essentials 6cp26134 Business Statistics 6cp79203 Business Law and Ethics 6cpSpring semester 31271 Database Fundamentals 6cp25300 Fundamentals of Business Finance 6cpSelect one of the following: 6cp 21193 Business Strategy6cp 22207 Accounting Transactions and Business Decisions6cp 31244 Applications Programming 6cpYear 3Autumn semester 24202 Consumer Behaviour 6cp24210 Advertising and Promotions Management 6cp33401 Introductory Mathematical Methods 6cp31251 Data Structures and Algorithms 6cpSpring semester 24510 Advertising Research 6cp24604 Project in Advertising 6cp31272 Project Management and the Professional 6cp35151 Statistics 1 6cpYear 4Autumn semester 24309 Introductory Marketing Research 6cp24207 Strategic Business Media Planning 6cp31250 Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery 6cpSelect one subject from the following: 6cp31284 Web Services Development6cp 31253 Database Programming6cp 31259 Intelligent Agents in Java6cp 31256 Image Processing and Pattern Recognition6cp 31243 Analytics Project6cp Spring semester 59330 Advertising Practice 6cp59333 Advertising Strategies 6cpSelect two subjects from the following: 12cp31284 Web Services Development6cp 31253 Database Programming6cp 31259 Intelligent Agents in Java6cp 31256 Image Processing and Pattern Recognition6cp 31243 Analytics Project

To be honest, i'm liking the new course structure. It seems to be more streamlined, less confusing and it seems as though students will be getting a 'REAL' IT degree. Although there does seem to be less flexibility being forced into one of four majors where as before there were many choices.

Now does anyone know if the current buscomp students just transfer to second year BBusBScit subjects? I'm lookin at you jase :p

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Are you sure your course simply wasn't discontinued as opposed to deleted? I know for example the BA Communications (Information Management) no longer exists unless you are a continuing student and as such is not in the 07 handbook. However people in that course aren't suddenly shuffled into another one without prior knowledge.

ioniser

HSC
uts reviews their courses every 5 years with the industry to keep everything as closely related as possible to the industry. You can choose to transfer into the new course or continue doing the old course you were doing ,thats if the old subjects are still offered.

This has happened to several engineering degrees such as telecommunications,computer systems and software have all turned into complete computer courses now named ICT engineering

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
DigitalFortress said:
Trying to find out the subjects for next year I have found that my entire course got deleted from the internets !!!
BusComp is no longer, under the same course number is a new course called
"C10219v3 Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Science in Information Technology"
Here is the info.
changed course structure:
My comments:

General:
-Hmm yeah i stumbled across this a couple days ago as well..
teh change looks secksy indeed- no systems development project if your not doing a major in enterprise systems development =) =)
-Business Information Systems Management looks cool to me =) when can i transfer? (again)
-What is weird is if you going for a standard BScIT DipITProfPrac (http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10152.html) you still have to do 2 separate sub-majors- as BBusBScIT will get to do one of these new IT majors.

Other:
-I don't see the point of the change of names for some subjects:
Information Systems Principles = Introduction to information systems
Networking Principles = Networking essentials
My point is: couldn't they have just changed coursework rather than make up another course name.. a fresh start i guess
-Communication for IT professionals: hmm sounds like the subject that you have to do if you don't do well in the english test (before first year) opps dane said that =O

btw dane, systems modelling looks like business requirements modelling onoes
web systems looks like computer fundamentals (unix stuff)

ioniser said:
You can choose to transfer into the new course or continue doing the old course you were doing ,thats if the old subjects are still offered.
yeah.. what happens to us old BBusBComp people.. if the old core IT subjects are being destroyed what will we do..

Last edited:
HSC
well computer fundamentals had absolutely nothing to do with unix, it was logic gates and memory caching and shit D:

Maybe i can email our course co-ordinator or something.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
ugh the exemptions i got are completely different to the subjects to the ones in BBusBComp..

i got computer fundamentals exceptions from principles of distributed computing (half logic gates/half unix stuff)..
same goes with object-oriented programming which i got exceptions for programming fundamentals.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
start.it website:

New versions of C10148, C10152 (and other related courses) and C10219 will be introduced in 2007. This mainly affects NEW students. As the years pass some subjects may be unavailable, so if you have failed several subjects, are a part-time student, or are doing the course in a strange sequence, some subjects on your program may cease to be available. Substitute subjects can usually be found.

Information for substitute subjects can be found at http://wiki.it.uts.edu.au/start/UGSubstitutes_2007

In some cases students may be able to transfer to the new courses, but this will often involve loss of credit points. For this enrolment period, choose subjects suitable for your existing course.

Pre-2007 Subject 2007 Substitute Subject
31465 Object-oriented Programming 31267 Programming Fundamentals
31466 Principles of Distributed Computing 31268 Web Systems
31467 Networking 1 31270 Networking Essentials
31468 Information Cladssification and Control see Jim Underwood
31469 Object-oriented Design 31244 Applications Programming
31470 Distributed Computing Architecture 31284 Web Services Development
31471 Networking 2 31277 Routing and Internetworks
31472 Introduction to Collaborative Systems 31266 Introduction to Information Systems

BBus BComp, GradDip IT and majors and sub-majors for other Faculties

Pre-2007 Subject 2007 Substitute Subject
31060 Information Systems Principles 31266 Introduction to Information Systems
31424 Systems Modelling 31269 Business Requirements Modelling
31484 Information Systems Foundations 31266 Introduction to Information Systems
31485 Systems Development 31269 Business Requirements Modelling
31487 Data Management Systems 31271 Database Fundamentals
31508 Programming Fundamentals 31488 Programming Foundations
31509 Computer Fundamentals 31268 Web Systems
31516 Networking Fundamentals 31270 Networking Essentials

HSC
thanks heaps alistair.
Does this mean that current BusComp students can transfer to the new course next year? and have all their credit points count towards the subjects???

Interesting....if that is possible i probably WILL transfer but i won't mind if I cannot transfer.

HSC
i tried to enrol into networking fundamentals and it directs me to the subject held at malaysia instead. :confused:
not sure what to do yet

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yeh, as someone above has already mentioned, pre-2007 students continue in their old course structure up until the subjects aren't available anymore (though most subjects should be available). If the subject isn't available then just do an equivalent subject but still under the same structure. The Business side should still be the same.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
DigitalFortress said:
thanks heaps alistair.
Does this mean that current BusComp students can transfer to the new course next year? and have all their credit points count towards the subjects???

Interesting....if that is possible i probably WILL transfer but i won't mind if I cannot transfer.
According to that website we'll all have to continue on our pre-2007 course structure. It hasn't been removed off teh internets lol: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/2006/it/ug/c10219.html (old handbook link).
'In some cases students may be able to transfer to the new courses, but this will often involve loss of credit points.'

**freakstar87** said:
i tried to enrol into networking fundamentals and it directs me to the subject held at malaysia instead. :confused:
not sure what to do yet
Networking 1 (31467) = Networking Fundamentals (31516) = (NEW) Networking Essentials (31270)

"If the subject on your program is available, enrol in it
If not, use the following substitutes, and send an e-request to change your program."
-http://wiki.it.uts.edu.au/start/UGSubstitutes_2007

Last edited:

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
So international students are supposed to do an english test before beginning the degree?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
I think all students entering IT courses have to do the English Test. I don't think International students would be able to avoid it.

Well now that all IT students do a subject named: "Communication for IT Professionals", I don't see the point of the English Test anymore (unless they get special assistance from ELSSA...).

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
hey guys, well im a uow student but my ICT course was also not on offer after 07. I was actually ready to transfer into another computing course, but got a letter saying that the course was just redesigned and so were subjects.
So now what they do is the new IT degree subjects are equivalent to my old ones so i do them and every year they send out a letter too us ICT students saying which subjects we can do and stuff.
Shouldn't be a problem to you bcomputing students either, i was scared when i heard my course was no longer offered....

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Correct.
The FIT student centre was changing the old subjects to the new (equivalent) subjects, and this doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

I spoke to Jim Underwood about some of my subjects and we did some E-requests to change some subjects (which weren't changed by the staff).

There is some info for pre-2007 students on the "old" submajors here:
http://wiki.it.uts.edu.au/start/SubMajorsPre07

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Actually Communication for IT Professionals is fairly different to the communications subject that the students who failed the ELSSA test did. This subject assumes you have a good level of English already. It more has to do with teaching you how to research and reference properly (which was previously covered in Information, Classification and Control). It also covers the IT ethics stuff and researching IT issues, which was previously covered in the final year subject IT Professional and Society (ITPS). ITPS was previously the subject that gave you professional level accreditation to the ACS, so now this new subject replaces that, so it is a MUCH more important subject than people are lead to believe. ITPS was a fairly simple subject, so it is not much of a burden for first year students to be learning what was previously taught in the final year.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
I'm so annoyed ._. IBT sub-major is falling apart. Basically, I've only got 3 subject choices next semester, then 1 for Spring 2008 (Intelligent Agents in Java). I wanted to do IMP next semester which is now PotI but it's at 6-9pm..ughhh! Can anyone confirm whether they're actually exactly the same or not? Enterprise Development with the .NET Framework is at a nice time (2-5pm) which is a couple of hours after PMQA for me so it fits in nicely..but after doing AIT..I don't know if I want to do anything like that :/

And can anyone confirm about the difficulty of IAJ? I so don't want to do anything like that..sounds hideous. My only other option is doing Project which I'm not to keen on because I hate doing research.

I wanted to do HCI and Network Servers after my great experience with AIT, but now NS is no longer offered and HCI has disappeared off the list in the pdf but is still available when I try to enrol in it I think (actually I haven't tried).

*sigh*

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Enterprise Development with the .NET Framework is easier than AIT, and much more useful given how a lot of newer apps are being developed with .NET. I didn't do IAJ, but it is most likely challenging. If you had to choose between IAJ and .NET I would definately go with .NET.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
jasee said:
Enterprise Development with the .NET Framework is easier than AIT, and much more useful given how a lot of newer apps are being developed with .NET. I didn't do IAJ, but it is most likely challenging. If you had to choose between IAJ and .NET I would definately go with .NET.
The problem is .NET is offered in Autumn only (and I want to do PotI) and the only subjects I have the option of doing in Spring are IAJ and Project (everything else is in Autumn/not offered in Spring).

*sigh* I'll likely end up picking Project. I guess the plus of that is one less final exam in my final semester?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
ragnarok said:
I wanted to do IMP next semester which is now PotI but it's at 6-9pm..ughhh! Can anyone confirm whether they're actually exactly the same or not?
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/31748.html
Looks pretty similar to IMP. Seeing that you did AIT already, you should breeze through POTI. My only concern in IMP was the quality of the teaching, but otherwise is isn't too bad.

ragnarok said:
*sigh* I'll likely end up picking Project. I guess the plus of that is one less final exam in my final semester?
Projects are only allowed to be taken on merit aren't they?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)