Disadvantage going to UWS? or not? (1 Viewer)

smiley20

HSC
N/A
Anyone feel there is a disadvantage in going to UWS than going to one of the 'prestige' universities?

Would like to hear peoples thoughts..

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
For me personally, I don't think its a disadvantage. For me it was either going to be environmental management and tourism at UWS or environmental management at Macquarie. And I loved tourism during high school, so UWS was my only option, otherwise I would have to move to Albury to study a similar degree, which didn't allow the flexibility that UWS offers.

I love having the flexibility to study subjects that I'm interested in, from whatever discipline, and I also love the environment. Its not rush, rush, rush everywhere. I actually find it quite relaxing going to uni, like a sorta mini holiday everyday :p

The job outlook is very good for me as well. Having had to do 10 weeks of work experience through my degree, certainly improves the chances of getting a job. And many of my friends who do go to the prestige unis don't have to do work experience, so they only learn in the classroom and from textbooks.

T

talene

Damage Inc. said:
Of course you're disadvantaged. Everyone know UWS is a shit uni. Employers definitely know.
This is complete bullshit. I really can't stand pretentious talk like this (and no, I don't go to UWS). I know graduates from UWS who have very good jobs with great career prospects. You should really look at what courses are accredited before making judgements.

I have a friend who does Arts at Sydney, and another who does Journalism at UWS. I seriously doubt that the Arts student is going to have a one up on the other just because she studied at Usyd.

As for what employers think, I've spoken to family friends who own their own businesses and a couple have said that completing a degree at uni level is something that is definitely recognised...as for which uni is more regarded on that piece of paper, the most common response is something like *shrugs*.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
why is it disadvantage? i never knew that giving people more opportunities was a disadvantage. personally, i'm finding uws perfectly fine, i'm doing med sci, and other uni's have this with a uai of 90 +, i had the chance to transfer to one of the other uni's, but i didnt, simply because i didnt want to, i didnt have any reason to change uni's basically, i believe uni is uni, and ppl should be grateful that they are advancing their education at any uni at all, plus i for one, don't like the city, uws is a much more quieter choice that actually helps in many ways with ppls studying.

smiley20

HSC
N/A
LOL Damage Inc.

Contact me in 5 years and we'll see where we are then LOL

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Seriously, UWS is one of the lamest uni's in Sydney. Look at the UAI's. No one wants to study there. Except people who didn't get into USyd or UNSW.

You guys keep telling yourselves that employers don't care about which uni you went to. Keep denying it. Keep telling yourselves that you're going to a good uni.
Granted that UWS students have comparably lower UAIs than more prestigious unis such as UNSW and USyd, the UAI isn't an indicator of how they will perform at uni. Some respond much better to the university environment, so you'd have those who had low UAIs topping subjects at uni, and similarly those with high UAIs doing below average.

In my opinion, students who recieved high UAIs are probably more likely to be capable of efficient studying, so I can imagine UWS having a larger number of bludgers. I know I haven't been to uni yet, but my boyfriend is a UWS student and his friends aren't exactly hardworking.

Reputation matters to some employers, and this is probably the biggest or only disadvantage.

Damage: I think you are way too prejudiced.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
He's a troll. Leave him and he'll get bored.

And no, I don't think UWS students are disadvantaged.

smiley20

HSC
N/A
sorry about asking a question outta the topic, but what does BOS stamp of approval mean and how do you get that?

Thanks

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
smiley20 said:
sorry about asking a question outta the topic, but what does BOS stamp of approval mean and how do you get that?

Thanks
It means you are a Benefactor or a Moderator. A Benefactor is someone who is (supposedly) helpful around school/uni forums and has an "altruistic and geniune desire to help others". You can apply to be a Benefactor in User CP > Group Memberships.

L

LaraB

Damage Inc. said:
You guys keep telling yourselves that employers don't care about which uni you went to. Keep denying it. Keep telling yourselves that you're going to a good uni.
some employers do care about what uni you went to but - those are (generally) the top few firms in their field which getting a job at is ridiculously hard unless you have connections there so has little to do with uni anyways..

apart from those places - going to uws will not disadvantage you as far as employment provided you do well at uni... it's the same everywhere - no employer will be impressed by your uni name if you are a P or low C student...

My employer/supervisor/manager - nb yes this is an employer's opinion Damage Inc. not some crap that i pulled out my ass like your posts - said that i will not have ANY trouble getting a job because i have good marks and can communicate blah blah blah - he said he never hires based on uni because
(a) it's illegal because it goes against anti-discrim and eeo policy/legislation
(b) because marks are more important than uni
(c) because experience is more important than uni
(d) because even if UAI was indicative of intelligence, selecting based on uni wouldn't mean picking 'the best' since full fee paying and deferred entries UAIs are almost always lower

of course some firms will not hire you just because you're from uws but that is so with EVERY!!!!! uni. eg firm a friend did work experience with - media related field - said they would generally not hire a usyd grad since their journo/media courses aren't as practical so unless students have experience from employment they don't have the same skills as people from other unis or private colleges....

eg - another accounting firm said they generally don't hire CSU students because of the way the course is structured.. dunno what exactly is wrong with it in their opinino but yeah...

just coz some firms have that view doesn't mean you will be disadvanataged - there are countless other firms that don't have those backward ideas...

as long as you're a good student and perhaps get some experience under your belt for furtehr advantage, you will not be disadvantaged by being a uws student

L

LaraB

natstar said:
I dont know why he bothers to argue. Ive already stated that I have pretty much already obtained a grad job, I know people who have graduated with the same degree as I and have good jobs. Many of the law students at UWS on this forum, namely LaraB and JonathonA are hardly into their degree and have already scored jobs that are a starting point for their careers in law. I only know of one person from this forum who has graduated from UWS and they scored a job at ninemsn a week after graduating.

As I said you are hardly in the position to judge as you have not started uni.
Your not an employer and have no factual evidence, so why bother even trying to argue with us?
lol - might i add to that that i have been more or less told i have a place waiting for me for my PLT and for eventual employment if i choose to work in that particular field - and yes - they are well aware i am a uws student - i was 'invited' to apply for the job via a uws lecturer....

obviously if high up people in a highly reputable business will take the advice of a lecturer of uws students as truthful and valid the various statements that uws students will not get jobs are just plain wrong

i know of students working at the Downing Centre, CCA, as judges associates etc who are all uws students like me - not finished degrees anywhere near yet..

if we were such shit students and such shit employment prospects, why are we beating out the so called 'prestige' unis for jobs huh?:rolleyes:

L

LaraB

smiley20 said:

Thanks

unrelated question - what's the thingo in your sig?

smiley20

HSC
N/A
Just a comprehensive student service we're opening around mid-february during o-week time.

We'll have stalls in usyd and unsw, but UTS and MQ didn't have any vacancies and i don't think UWS o-week is too big so we didn't bother with them for the moment.

Just keep an eye out on the website. At the moment, we're currently looking for people who would like to work in the stalls actually, paid work =)

give me an email sting105@hotmail.com or add on msn

L

LaraB

smiley20 said:
Just a comprehensive student service we're opening around mid-february during o-week time.

We'll have stalls in usyd and unsw, but UTS and MQ didn't have any vacancies and i don't think UWS o-week is too big so we didn't bother with them for the moment.

Just keep an eye out on the website. At the moment, we're currently looking for people who would like to work in the stalls actually, paid work =)

give me an email sting105@hotmail.com or add on msn
the only reason why people don't think its big is because we have over 50 000 students at several campuses so naturally each one is smaller...

and jus so you know - "comprehensive student service" doesn't really help any:p

and the uws thing is actually quite big especially at parra... all teh stall peoples are paid and all that kind of thing too... but then again - as with all other assumptions about uws, non students wouldn't know...

L

LaraB

Damage Inc. said:
Yeah, there's no point to go to UWS.
oh yeah - what an intelligent statement!

you think, incorrectly, there is no big o-week at uws so there's no point in going to the uni...

wow - all the hsc students should come to you for advice, they'd be so much better off...

smiley20

HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
and jus so you know - "comprehensive student service" doesn't really help any:p

just being careful with how i describe it =) heheeh

L

LaraB

smiley20 said:
just being careful with how i describe it =) heheeh
unless you're some secret sect i dont get why you need to be "careful"....

L

LaraB

Numero Uno said:
lol man ur a retard
ur doing a dead end degree
good luck in the future
lol those kinda posts really don't help those of us who disagree lol.. although i do agree with some parts of that lol:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)