UWS Reputation (1 Viewer)

placebo

HSC
Just completed HSC this year and am seriosuly considering a UWS as an option, however one thing that has always bugged me is the line of 'UWS has such a bad reputation'....is this true or is it just a stigma that has been attatched. I mean, once your out there with a degree in law or whatever does it really matter that you attended UWS instead of Syd., is it that big of a deal?

michelleanne

HSC
Hi!

I can understand that you are hesitant about coming to UWS because of all the bad reputation nonsense. Please don's listen to this, it is a fantastic university with a great teaching staff.

I have just completed (in the last few weeks) a bachelor of health science and a bachelor of laws degree at the Parramatta campus. I have found my experince of the university fantastic, and I recommend the university.

Of course, a few students experience administration problems. But you can't tell me which other uni doesn't have admin issues. They all do!!

Apart from that, Studying Law at UWS is great. From your post, it looks as though that you may be considering law. There are a great number of electives that you can choose from that are taught by expereinced lecturers.

Also, the teaching style at UWS (within the law faculty) is a more conducive learning style for many students. Most subjects are Seminar based and not lecture and Tutorial based. This means that is more like a workshop with about 20-30 people and there is more time spent on discussion and group work. Also, there is more of a chance to stop the lecturer and ask questions and debate certain facts. This is extremely important in law.

The facilities at UWS are great. The library resources are current and you can always request the books that you need from other UWS libraries to your home camps. Journal databases are all current, and you have access to basically all of the jounral eithier on-line or in print form. This is the same with law. All law resources for law, case law( Australian and international) , statutues, journals, books, on-line dataabases are all current and quite extensive. Resources are also archived.

There are also, a number of moot courts at both Parramatta and Campbelltown that are all equiped with the modern conveniences. The teaching staff are always there for guidance and help, all you need is ask.

The Law course at UWS is of a very high standard and it a renowned law course accross the board. The law faculty promotes mooting competitions against other univeristies, and UWS does very well and ha infact won many of them.

Other courses from what I hear, are also excellent- and a course at UWS is exactly like studying at another university. The content, and the actual degree you would graduate with is exactly the same.

I have also found from Health Science an excellent excellent course!!

At UWS, you also have the option to choose the times of your classes. This helps arranging class times around your own needs, especially if your going to be working.

So please keep UWS in mind, I cant praise it enough. If you have any questions, please just ask.

Just remember, UWS is still a young uni compared to sydney that is over 100 years old. Therefore, UWS is still building on its reputation and from all reports, UWS had a high graduate employment rate and well respected courses.

Hope this helps,

Michelle....

klh

HSC
its funny...most lecturers graduate from unis that are perceived to be the best, i.e. unsw/usyd/uts etc. Some lecturers work in more than 1 uni!
So answer to the questiosn is that uws isnt bad as its reputation says. Good on ya michelleanne, show em what uws grad are made of!! off topic but have you landed a job?
[just say yes, try to improve our image ;) ;)]
to some, its a big deal to others is isnt.
I mean what about the other unis? if oyu grad with a CSU degree or La trobe or southern cross unis, compare them to unsw/usyd etc. Some will decide that since alot of grads come out of these unis and that only the one with the highes uais enter means that their candidature is the best. While other, and more smarter, may consider you as a person working for them and analyse the person not jus the degree they hold.
UWs is great! Although i also heard about uws and its perceptions, my findings contradict these statements.
also search for reputation in this forum adn general, you will get more threads like this as well. ;)
[just telling you that its been debated fro alon gtime]

Jacks

HSC
I sort of thought that way, not really but people were always telling me that UWS was crap...but I'm studying there and I like it there. I was in your position this time last year worried about its so called "bad reputation" I've found no real evidence of it though...I mean I can't compare it to anything else but I'm getting a degree, the tutors are nice and always ready to help...a lot of them also tutor at other unis like UNSW...so there isn't a lot of difference there...the people are cool, everything is fine...so don't let what people say stop you from enrolling at UWS...uni is uni and at the end of the day a degree is a degree and it doesn't matter where you get it...if anyone looks down at you for coming here it's really their own problem so I'd say just come and judge for yourself...you'd realise all the talk amounts to nothing...I just finished my first year at UWS and I've had no problems there :)

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I was never put off about the reputation of uws ... the high school i went to actually encouraged us to go there. The people are really nice and so are the lecturers ... the lecturers i have found will go out of their way to help you.
The reputation crap is so annoying ... ppl generally bag mouth uws and i bet you that they have never even been to a class.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I put uws in 8 out of the 9 preferences ... i didn't care what any of my friends thought of it ... i know that they are still pissed off at me for going to uws ... but the course which i am doing is basically the only ecotourism course in sydney.

Shen86d

HSC
oh man.. cape.. whenever i see the schumacher pic i keep thinking its the red ranger from power rangers xD

Shen86d

HSC
oath... y wuld ur friends b pissd for.. unless they wanted u to go to their uni's?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Its mainly cause they were all asian so they had high expectations of going to unsw and usyd ... they saw uws as a hole and a crap uni with crap lecturers.

And there was no way in hell i was going to go to nsw and usyd ... apart i didn't have the uai cause it was only in the 60s.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
i'd consider going to nsw to do the tourism course ... but theres no way i'd be going to syd even if they offered me the world!

but dispite the travelling i do everyday ... i love going to richmond for uni.

Jacks

HSC
well I don't know what my friends think, I don't think they looked down on my decision to go to UWS...but I wouldn't have made my decision based on their opinion of it...plus the only other course I liked was a UTS (Journalism and international studies) and was high 90s, since that was never happening I was content with UWS hehe...bankstown particularly because I can still do italian there. :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
i know someone from nsw and hes so nice ... but i agree with u uws people are really nice. they are so relaxed ... not completely stressing ... i made the mistake of going to mac uni one day near examination time and omg ... talk about people who stress! they were still studying on the bus even though it was like a 5 min bus trip.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
"im better than u" as in im actually performing better than a ex UNSW kekeke

69^boi

HSC
N/A
arent uws in huge debt or sumfin? i read somewhere in this year that a comitte(made up of lecturers+professors) voted against pushing prices in hecs inorder to compensate it, but yea they went against it?.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I think that they are in debt by about $14 million or something, this is why theres changes to many of the courses and subjects to reduce costs.
I don't think that uws didn't want to rise hecs cause it would put university out of the question for many people who attend uws.

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
8 of my 9 preferences are for UWS. All my prefered courses are Business related.
I hear a lot of talk that UWS is shit, but if end up going there, do well, like the course im doing and like the environment i am in, then whats the point of going to UTS, UNSW or USYD?

PS - Do any of you people know what the Business faculty is like at UWS? My career adviser said it is pretty good.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Sounded like my preferences last year, except mine had a tourism focus. But the environment at uws is fun and relaxing ... its not stressful like most other unis ... i don't know about other unis, but how many of them let you come to a lecture drunk??? someone did that in the first semester, lol.

and i heard that the business faculty is good as well, but i don't know.

Jonathan A

HSC
We get this crap all the time. The truth is, UWS is a very good university and I dare people to compare our university with theirs. Sure they can say I am successful, landed a top-paying job, etc.... In this world, its not always what you know but who you know. So those little elites with families whom are millionaires (not intending on bagging anyone just raising a point), who send their kids to University of Sydney, when those kids graduate, they are more likely to find work because of the position their parents are in, as opposed to "I graduated from Sydney Uni"

UWS has a bad reputation for the following reasons:

-Western Sydney - associated with high crime, poor resources, etc... REALITY: Western Sydney is more peaceful than most unis and the people are warm and friendly.
-UWS is a combination of Advanced Colleges, not always a university REALITY: This is true, BUT WE ARE A UNIVERSITY NOW, and the only uni to be ranked 7 in the world for best psychology faculty and we haven't even been open for that long compared to the other unis.
-UWS is spread out REALITY: Yes, but that makes us in terms of land, the largest Australian University - with Liverpool Campus opening soon and somewhere in Eastern Sydney too!!

SO the things to look out for.....

- A New Medical School to be opening soon;
-A new Commercial organisation (UWSConnect) running our facilities.
-The technology craze that many universities simply cannot match;
-Infratrsucture improvements and ease of access;
-A warm friendly atmosphere, free of snobs!

I chose UWS because UWS is the only University that will offer a Criminology degree without the fancy stuff that means nothing. I wanted hardcore understanding into crime, and I am getting that. So far, I have learnt theories, understandings and models of crime and I am studying with different groups of people, including policing students, psychology students and the like. I also had the oppurtunity to do law units, now USyd wont let you do that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)