the strength of UWS and its underrated reputation (1 Viewer)

uwsstudent

HSC
i am new to the site, but i am a year three psychology student from bankstown campus. i was truly unhappy during the first year and as time passed by, i gained more knowledge about uws, i made myself stronger and now i take great pride for the very chance that i have in uws, i hope for all those new comers they can find their pride in coming to uws.

uws is a young uni, but it has so many shocking strengths, i mean really really kicking ass ones that u can say one the only or amongest the best in australia. take psychology for example, uws is the number one psychology faculty in NSW, it is the number two psychology faculty in austalia, its biological and education psychology rank number 8th in international class(the amount of contribution and quality of its content), other uni say mac, they don't even have a professor in the psychology department, ok some uni has four professors, but uws has more than 20 professors, look at their degress, some are local some are from international background, such a formula of building psychology teaching, anybody will regret if they didn't know uws is the undeniable choice for psychology

let's say business, man it's amongest the best teaching in all the uni, policing is another proud strength, language is well known(not by the dumb public), aviation is the hightlight in uws, IT and medicine are the rising focus of uws, i mean comon for a uni who has only been here from 1989, what more can u ask for?(here i'd like to apologise for talking more about psychology strength, cause that's what i study, i am proud of our school, but i also know all other courses kick ass with facts).

move onto government now, they are smart when it comes to making money. they have promoted enough for sydney, mac to attract overseas rich dudes to study. last year our uni uai for art was 75, that just means uai is nothing but a changeable number, our uni can change to uai of 85 next year if that suits the whole situation in australia. the dude who invented hotmail, he sold 300millions to bill gates, now he was a IT student, but how many IT students could really grasp the essence of computing, they are all average people that's all. u earn money by ur skill, i need to cure disorders or else i will be fired no matter whichever uni that i graduate from.

we may have heard friends complaining about our uni, they are under pressure, they are pushed by their families, they don't know what's good, look public is really blind when it comes to everything, public doesn't know information enough to wipe away the sterotype view, back 1960s mac university was just a young uni too, Dr phil didn't go to harvard, he even divorced once, now he is the best psychologist in usa. the best skill is in u, university if just a place to get the knowledge and a chance to learn. people need social acceptance, they talk rumors about where is good or bad to feel confirm their own choice in life. let's be proud of the things that we have in our uni, if u haven't find that pride feeling yet, don't worry, that means u are still worrying about what others think of u, rather then spending energy remebering the positive strength and pride that u can find in uws. most people actually don't know where to go, they go where they get accepted by their families and friends, do something for urself and make urself understanding ur pride can be found in uws

HSC
the only people that look down on uws are the people that aren't uws students....or fat asian nerds that made it into wollonging, claim they are mature, but still diss uws students.

kag86

HSC
N/A
I got accepted into UOW to do B/Arts which was originally my 2nd pref. I've now changed my pref to include UWS. I really hope that i can get into B/Social Science so i can major in Psychology.... I can do that right??? It's all confusing coz i keep changing my mind about where i wanna go. Fingers crossed that i get in, i mean i clear the UAI and there are vacancies in the course. I guess i should have had more faith in UWS before. Now I've go t Wollongong uni and I don't want it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I've talked to my dads lawyer, who owns a firm of 40+, i was told that UWS is fine and that if i had a distinction average and another person from usyd had a distinction average it would come down to personal qualities from an interview, not down to the uni.

uwsstudent

HSC
i agree

that's right if u have got better mark in uws, other students in other uni have poorer mark, then u kick ass, cause it revolves around one fact, this society wants u to do something useful, so if u have got skills, then u are welcomed everywhere, if u sux and can't be useful in ur chosen field, then nobody wants u no matter wherever u come from.

also if u study B social science, u can do psychology, u will do three years of undergraduate study, if u do well, u can enter honour, alternative path is postgraduate diploma which is the same prestige, then the next stage is either master or go out get supervised training for two years, all add up is six years, then u enter APS and government registering as well. the goal here is one for psychology students to be real useful to the society, two u make to the APS and also government registering, no matter where u go it's these two points, look at usa, harvard doesn't get mentioned alot in psychology, it's those people who truly love psychology make the contribution, plus uws is so kicking ass in this area, cause government wants to develop our uws, so it has to start somewhere, that's why psychology is one of the focus

spark

I've decided I'm going to work much harder this year and onward. Do 1st year marks matter?

Jonathan A

HSC
spark said:
I've decided I'm going to work much harder this year and onward. Do 1st year marks matter?

If you can't get the D average, you might want to at least further your studies by doing a Masters or PhD - gives you that extra edge.

kag86

HSC
N/A
I agree with Natstar.... uwsstudent, you're making me want to go to UWS even more now. I mean everyone goes on about UOW and how everyone's so friendly there and how it's all community based. Now being a shire girl myself i had always thought so too, but now I really would prefer to go to UWS. There is absolutely nothing wrong with UWS and all of you seem very friendly. Even though I've accepted my spot at Wollongong i will ring them up and tell them i've changed my mind if i get into UWS in the next round!!!

klh

HSC
great rant....
shouldnt this also be in the general forums??? or might that cause more uproar/arguements. it migth be some use to new uws'ers but this has to be told to all. how do we represent a positive image to the public? remove the bad name we have ffrom the uni we go to?
One solution is to do the best you can do at uws and show your strengths just as uwsstudent said. if you cant beat them, do it yourself, like that hotmail story.

L

LaraB

i know this is an old thread but thought i'd revive it to combat some of t he ignorant negative rants at the moment, particularly in the "uws is shit" thread :p

this just goes to show that all thos enon uws students in here saying how we're all dumb, our uni's shit, we're only here coz we couldnt get into their unis, are soo sooo wrong!

It's a great uni!

i mean, eg, all these people doing law particularly are always saying "go to unsw or usyd or you'll never get a job" - i largely chose uws as i was told by an international law firm in MLC centre and QC's at St James Hall, amongst other practitioners that they have huge respect for the course and they'd strongly suggest i go to uws as not many employers at all care about all the prestige bullshit of late...they more care about what you learnt at the uni...some even said that sure a D average is nice, but if you cant put it into practice its useless so they'd prefer a person who didnt do as well but can communicate and has good people skills etc - something which i reckon uws gives you a lot of - i mean, you have to b e a genius in people skills to get an answer outa admin people :p

but i mean - its nice to see people saying how good the uni is!! :)

so please people - dont fill this thread with 'uws sucks' comments because its a good uni and just coz it desnt have the rep of a group of 8 uni doesnt mean its not a good uni and that the people at uws dont enjoy going there

:)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
LaraB, I was told by one of my lecturers, that employers look more at the subjects that you did, not what uni you went to. I don't know if this is the case for law though?

rekyj

Random Stranger
HSC
uws, you make my heart sing, my live worth living, my dreams and hopes now seem possible. i will sing loyal cantons to the reverberate hills that echo your name... UWS... UWS...

ha.

its a UNI!!!! chances are, you'll find friends (or won't) at ANY uni and a DEGREE IS A DEGREE.

ugh. stupid pretentious people.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
uwsstudent said:
, i mean comon for a uni who has only been here from 1989, what more can u ask for?(

wow! 1989? u mean im older than the uni? thats cool!

my primary/high school was also founded in 1989! and now its ranked no.9 in NSW! :D

and uws is a great uni! just that some ignorant employers believe that uws got to uni through second chance- thats what my friend told me, but discrimination is everywhere!

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
mr EaZy said:
wow! 1989? u mean im older than the uni? thats cool!

my primary/high school was also founded in 1989! and now its ranked no.9 in NSW! :D

and uws is a great uni! just that some ignorant employers believe that uws got to uni through second chance- thats what my friend told me, but discrimination is everywhere!
I dont know, i guess it depends on what industry and career ur in, cause i remeber at work experience some of the lowerrung Accountants (i think they were Accountants) were debating UWS in front of me, one of them went to UWS Parra (i think) and said it was good but the others were crap, and the other ppl were saying UWS as a whole is crap, but the senior Accountants didnt say that UWS was crap

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
Oh nothing. It's just seem relevant to poke fun cos of that comment from Korn. Being asian, I know about 384540078275 family friends who are accountants/married to accountants/have kids studying to be accounts. Hell, my aunt, her husband and my cousin are accountants too. So klh, I didn't mean it as an insult in any way.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
They have little to no personality, the only people they know outside of their profession is the next door neighbours and are generally disliked as money grabbing theives almost as much as lawyers. :)

Of course that isn't entirely true, although it does seem to be for my father :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)