Dean's Scholars - Creative Arts (1 Viewer)

sj1990

HSC
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some first hand information about the Dean's Scholars program at UOW. How many students do they allow in per faculty/over all? What do they look for in a student? Is it at all possible that you can get in if you have an ATAR/UAI less than 90? I'm just not a 100% sure if I'll get into the 90s yet ... my estimate is around 87 but has the potential to go up, depending on my performance in these exams. Apparently applicants have to send in academic results and school reports ... do they base judgement only on these, because my marks haven't been as great as they could have been due to educational disadvantages (personal illness). However, I'm hoping to wow them in interview/portfolio. Has anyone ever heard of anyone who just missed out on a UAI of over 90, but got in to the course because of creative potential?

That being said, it sounds like a fantastic course and an amazing opportunity. What's the employment rate for UOW graduates?

Cheers

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
There's a lot of questions there I can't answer, but I'll do what I can with the others, since I'm in the Dean's Scholars program, except in the Arts Faculty.
I'll assume you've actually read the information, since you know about the 90 ATAR.

This information is coming from Arts, but I know the two faculties tend to think in a similar way and have many students in common, so here goes.
At the moment, our Dean's Scholar program has somewhere around 20-30 people (not sure exactly, I don't go in very often).
In general, the purpose of the program is to introduce the students to the faculty in a more personal way; mentors are there, not just for academic questions, but to help with any questions you might have. They're a valuable resource, because otherwise it generally takes students a year or two to make contact with staff they share interests with.
I don't know how strict they are on the ATAR, but I'm aware that brilliant interview/portfolio students for Arts are considered if their marks are respectable. I'd explain the situation about marks in an interview as well.
What they're looking for is potential, as well as talent. They're looking for someone who is potentially going to stick around, which is why they create linkages not only with staff, but with postgraduate students. The program offers invitations to seminars and other programs which are generally not available to undergraduates.
On our side of the fence we're also offered resources such as free printing, a computer room, and extra library privileges such as extra borrowing. The group is a fairly tight-knit one, and is a good place to meet like-minded people.

It would be worth asking the Faculty if you are able to transfer in to the program, as this is what I did in Arts (I transferred into the program in 3rd year).
I don't know if there's any BCA(Dean's Scholar)'s in here, but I hope I managed to pass on some useful information.

As for employment:

UoW Website said:
A DECADE OF GRADUATE SUCCESS

2010 marks the tenth year in a row that UOW has scored five stars in the categories of Getting a Job, Positive Graduate Outcomes, and Graduate Starting Salaries in the independent Good Universities Guide. Overall, UOW scored five out of five stars in the following categories in the Guide, placing it in the top 20% of universities nationwide for each:

1. Getting a Job
2. Positive Graduate Outcomes
3. Graduate Starting Salary
4. Research Intensity
5. Graduate Satisfaction
6. Generic Skills
That's from Facts and Figures - Awards and Achievements - About the University @ UOW . I don't know if you'd actually get the employment rate.

sj1990

HSC
Hey thanks so much! Very useful information, and has "cured" some of the doubts I had before.

On a more personal note, did you live in Wollongong prior to Uni, or did you move once there? I'd have to move from Sydney's North Shore as commuting is near impossible - what's the general atmosphere of the uni/general area? Still not sure if I want to move from home, so any information you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I lived in Wollongong until 18, then I moved to Sydney for two years. (And then moved back for uni).

Wollongong is good if you like beach/mountains. Wollongong is not so awesome if you like good nightlife (if anyone posts a positive response about Glasshouse, I WILL shoot you). There's a lot of bogans around, but if you hang out mostly around the uni/at the beach you'll avoid most of them (never ever go to Warrawong).
As someone who grew up here, I'm not the biggest fan of the place, but friends of mine who moved here from elsewhere pretty much love it.
There are some nicer suburbs to live in than others, but in general it's not such a bad place to live :)
And yeah, commuting would be disgusting in that case.. depending on the sort of person you are, on-campus might be fun, but I know plenty of friends who have created some really quirky and awesome households. Especially if you don't mind dodgy houses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)