Advanced vs. Standard (2) (1 Viewer)

Pyrobooby

HSC
I cannot see the thread below this, it seems relevant so that kinda sucks.

Anyways:

If a student in standard english produced essays/answers worthy of a band 6 in advanced, would this equate/average out to be worth a band 6 in standard?

If so, would there be a difference in their final ATAR?

This situation of advanced/standard has put me in quite a quandary.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Less people get band 6's in Standard. However if you were capable of getting such high marks in Advanced, I assume you would also get high marks in standard. Prob Band 6's in both, but less people get awarded Band 6's in Standard (I assume that's attributed to the candidature though) Plug in numbers in the an ATAR calculator to see what effect it has on the ATAR.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
It's VERY, VERY hard to get a band six in standard english when compared to advanced, I've heard.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Marks in Standard and English, i.e. if two students got 85 their ATAR would be the same (assuming everything was the same or equivalent). Standard and Advanced scale the same, but I imagine that Advanced aligns better than Standard.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
After playing with the ATAR calculator. The results showed that there was no or little significant to your ATAR when getting Band 6 or above in both English Advance and Standard (Yes, Adv. aligned slightly better). However if you get band 5, there is a 0.15 difference. Basically lower bands favour Advance English.

Directed to OP, if you believe you can acquire a B6 in Standard. Then by all means keep it.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Directed to OP, if you believe you can acquire a B6 in Standard. Then by all means keep it.
However, do keep in mind that Standard English is less equipped to teach you to get Band 6 than Advanced.

FrozenSky

HSC
I used to do English Adv in yr 11 then dropped to English std in yr 12...
There's a few points i would like to point out...

Similarities:
-The difficulty between Advance and Standard is EXACTLY the same (unless you absolutely hate Shakespeare or the texts provided by adv)...
- The scaling is VERY similar (however @ lower bands, e.g band 5 in std and adv - adv will scale a tad more)

Advantages of Std:
- A majority of the people who does STD either absolutely despise english/weak @ english, thus allowing you to gain higher ranks easier (assuming that you work hard)

Disadvantages of Std:
- Now unless you go to a selective school or something, you'll be surrounded by dropkicks and idiots, thus ultimately dragging your marks down (unless you're highly ranked)

Now back to OP's question,
IF you manage to score a b6 in STD, it's basically the same as a b6 in ADV and vice versa... However, scoring a band 6 in STD seems to be quite difficult (2009, 0.5% scored b6 in std roflmao...)

Last edited:

nilynily

HSC
Well i did Standard and was ranked 3rd internally and was 1st externally (boo ya!), but it did require a lot of hard work due to a varying of factors including:

1) Teacher pretty much don't give a shit, they only care when you start CARING

2) More than half the people didn't give a shit about English, actually more than 70%.

3) As a result from above factor, you pretty much feel like you're the only one battling against the macabre nature of English as opposed to Advanced English where passions run wild among the students and further enhanced by a passionated teacher.

4) Although good ranking is easier to acquired, normally the top 1% of Standard is equal to top 25% in Adv English... so you have to work really hard.

From my experience and for a better year 12 for YOU, it's better if you choose Advanced English as your environment and peers will spontaneously drive you into full gear in obtaining better grades.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Pyrobooby

HSC
Thank you for all the input guys.

I am confident I can maintain my rank in standard (1st).
The environment of the class... well my school is public and thus there's more standard classes than advanced classes, but the English faculty decided to set up classes in relation to the students relative performance, so compared to other standard classes the class I am in currently is not too bad. I've also discussed this with my teacher, and she's up for the challenge to aid me in my goals of achieving a band 6.
I feel comfortable where I am as I don't have a driving passion for English, rather I feel its something I do because it is compulsory. That being said, I still enjoy reading and analysing texts to write essays which I feel is of top quality.

Just another question:
If I gained 1st internally and 1st externally, would my cohort affect my HSC at all?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you for all the input guys.

I am confident I can maintain my rank in standard (1st).
The environment of the class... well my school is public and thus there's more standard classes than advanced classes, but the English faculty decided to set up classes in relation to the students relative performance, so compared to other standard classes the class I am in currently is not too bad. I've also discussed this with my teacher, and she's up for the challenge to aid me in my goals of achieving a band 6.
I feel comfortable where I am as I don't have a driving passion for English, rather I feel its something I do because it is compulsory. That being said, I still enjoy reading and analysing texts to write essays which I feel is of top quality.

Just another question:
If I gained 1st internally and 1st externally, would my cohort affect my HSC at all?
Not one bit. This is both a good and bad thing... your class can't drag you down, but if you screw up in the exam (and the rest of your class is pretty shit) then your marks are going to be severely damaged - this was my case is just about every subject except English (my class was awesome).

lusiv

HSC
Not one bit. This is both a good and bad thing... your class can't drag you down, but if you screw up in the exam (and the rest of your class is pretty shit) then your marks are going to be severely damaged - this was my case is just about every subject except English (my class was awesome).

What does it mean by if you screw up in the exam ( and the rest of your class is pretty shit) then your marks are going to be severely damaged ?

My class is fairly decent, mix with the intelligent and standard English people doing standard English. Just want to know if my class can damage my ATAR ? and how ?
Thanks

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
^ your class can't damage your ATAR IF YOU DO WELL!
If you come 1st in English Standard, the class DOES NOT pull you down (unless you do shit in the actual exam).

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Pyrobooby, if you gain first internally and externally, you take your own exam mark. Let's say you get 95 in the actual hsc exam. your examination mark will be 95 and your assessment mark will also be 95 (since you're the top student in your class, you take the top examination mark which was your own)

lusiv

HSC
Pyrobooby, if you gain first internally and externally, you take your own exam mark. Let's say you get 95 in the actual hsc exam. your examination mark will be 95 and your assessment mark will also be 95 (since you're the top student in your class, you take the top examination mark which was your own)
Oh ok ... So say i get 80% in my actual hsc exam and im in top 5 in the class what would happen then ?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Whatever was the 5th highest mark in the HSC exam by your cohort; that becomes your internal mark.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Whatever was the 5th highest mark in the HSC exam by your cohort; that becomes your internal mark.
Nope. they take the highest and lowest mark in external, and give it to the highest and lowest in internal, then they look the gaps between ranks in internal to work out their internal mark. therefore, it's not necessary to get the 5th highest mark in the HSC exam for your internal.

e.g. there are three people doing a certain subject.
internal place / hsc mark / internal mark
person 1 - 1st / 92 / 92
person 2 - 2nd / 31 / 50
person 3 - 3rd / 50 / 31

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)