Help with Standard (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
`So I am not extremely bad at english, but im not Band 6 yet

I generally get 80's but i really want 90 at least.

I always fail at essays in exams because i see it is my structure. I always find myself rushing in exams and end up doing bad

Can anyone suggest like anything to help with this

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Write lots of practice essays and submit them to your teacher for marking. Get feedback.

Rinse and repeat.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Also, write notes for your text and make sure you analyse the thematic concerns, context, values, techniques. Then memorise the notes and then practise your essay.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Write lots of practice essays and submit them to your teacher for marking. Get feedback.

Rinse and repeat.
I do, but i really fail when i have time limits, but only with English!!

I can write great essays for economics/business/legal in time limited situtaitons but not for english

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I do, but i really fail when i have time limits, but only with English!!

I can write great essays for economics/business/legal in time limited situtaitons but not for english
Do you have detailed knowledge of your text?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
That's the word you should probably avoid. Never EVER retell a story in an essay.
lol i know, i never re-tell stories in essays

I was saying that i could probably rewrite the text from memory because i know it well enough

jnney

lemon
HSC
first of all, i dont believe in english tutoring. that's a waste of money.

ask your teacher for practise questions. do them. give it back to your teacher. have it returned with feedback.

you'll DEFINETELY improve. because i did. =:)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
annotate the text as you go along, like make notes in the margins, underline important qutoes and techniques etc.

HSC
Depending on your school, an 80 for each essay can possibly become equivalent to a band 6 in the hsc. I personally memorised generic essays and practiced adapting them to questions in order to get a band 6.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Depending on your school, an 80 for each essay can possibly become equivalent to a band 6 in the hsc. I personally memorised generic essays and practiced adapting them to questions in order to get a band 6.
My school is ranked in the 400's

but we do have about 3-5 people each year with ATAR's of high 90's

HSC
For an ATAR of 96, a high band 5 will do but if you're after that band 6, I would suggest just keep going with your current method till you get really good at it.

Webcamhottie

HSC
I got 92 for standard english and received around the same mark for my trials. So if you do any of the texts: Billy Elliot, Briar Rose, The Shoe-Horn Sonata and Peter Skrzynecki. I would be glad to give you my essays :) . So yeh just pm me if you need them.
Also, i just wrote out prepared essays to different questions and practiced that way like others have said. I also had a few backup quotes / techniques just incase. To me English took minimal effort it was my least favourite subject and i only did minimal study for it. For me PERSONALLY writing out prepared essays and practicing them on different questions IS YOUR BEST BET at getting a band 6! Well that's what worked for me. :)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
a high Band 5 will do provided that you also do consistently well in your other subjects. I know Band 6 students who scored in the low 90s because their other subjects weren't Band 6.

I got a state rank in English. I wrote essays throughout the year. I wrote essays on different questions, handed them into my teacher and got feedback. Every time I got some feedback, I'd rewrite another essay and hand it into the teacher. Eventually I knew my texts really well. I memorised my essays into the exam.
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.

as long as u can adapt a memorised essay to any essay question you're good to go :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)