Amount of band 6s (1 Viewer)

Aysce

HSC
Approximately how many students (or the percentage of NSW) scored band 6 in 2010? :spzz:

Last edited:

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Lol it's not over 9000, that's just an internet joke, and I'm trying to be funny.

Umm, yeh it's a really small percentage that gets one, don't buy in to a lot of the specific numbers that people throw around, most are way off.

Seriously, just try your hardest, and get whatever mark you can, cos you can't change to Advanced English half way through.

jnney

lemon
HSC
That doesnt mean you can't get a band 6. Don't compare yourself to the statistics.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Mhm, and all it comes down to is writing practice essays and papers. A lot of them. Send them into your teacher and ask for feeback.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
my standard teacher already told us noone in our class is getting a band 6 :( I have to get into advanced next year!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That doesnt mean you can't get a band 6. Don't compare yourself to the statistics.
That's like saying, "That doesn't mean you can't get a 500/500 aggregate score for the HSC. Don't worry that no one else in the history of the HSC has done it before!"

Point is - 60 or so students got a mark above 90 in Standard English. Standard and Advanced English are put onto a common scale. There are, if I recall correctly, around 35 000 who do Std. English.

Yes, we're trying to be supportive - but let's be realistic. Standard English people pretty much don't get Band 6's because they aren't good at English.

If the person was any good at English - he or she should be in Advanced. You know what I think the correct question Standard English people should be asking? It should be "How can I maximise my mark?"

You pretty much shot yourself in the foot when you picked Standard English - so don't even think about getting one, because there's a 99.99% or so chance you're not getting one. So figure out how to maximise your mark - and hey, who knows, you might get a Band 6 on a fluke.

So you want to get as high a mark as possible? Write your practice essays and get continual feedback. Being in Advanced is so much better because there - half the class isn't herp derp - so you can move through material quicker and via the Pygmalion effect, you'll find you do better.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Too assuming? The only reasons a good English student would pick Std. over Advanced would be "Oh, I don't like Shakespeare" or possibly "My friend does Standard" or "My school wouldn't let me do Advanced". These account for very little of the entire candidature.

Standard English students are, for the most part, standard English students.

sinophile2

HSC
N/A
if youre good enough to get a band six in standard english why the fuck are you in standard english

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Okay, then I still believe that if we take those people - we're still talking a very small percentage, perhaps at most 1 or 2%.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
But not everyone in that situation will automatically get a Band 6. I was considered "good at English" but I only got high Band 5.

kBOS

HSC
N/A
It's actually quite rare to get a band 6 in Standard, but if you do, you're doing BETTER than about the bottom 40% of Advanced :) Let's all prove those teachers wrong and get Band 6s!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)