How do I get better at English? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I struggle with it a lot, I'm in Year 10 and I didn't know where to post this. I got an D on my half yearly report. I am taking Standard English next year which my teacher reccomended. I just feel like I am not meant for English; I just don't have the patience to read through a long text and then analyze it. I used to be really good at English in Year 7, but since then I have gotten worse. Any tips on how to get better at it? I don't want to do it next year, but it is compulsory. I don't struggle with grammar or anything fundamental, but I struggle with grasping what techniques are and how to use them.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I struggle with it a lot, I'm in Year 10 and I didn't know where to post this. I got an D on my half yearly report. I am taking Standard English next year which my teacher reccomended. I just feel like I am not meant for English; I just don't have the patience to read through a long text and then analyze it. I used to be really good at English in Year 7, but since then I have gotten worse. Any tips on how to get better at it? I don't want to do it next year, but it is compulsory. I don't struggle with grammar or anything fundamental, but I struggle with grasping what techniques are and how to use them.
Exactly how I felt in Year 10. But now I am semi-enjoying English. The best thing for you to do next year is to keep submitting drafts to your teacher and getting feedback. Trust me English is not that bad.

HSC
My teacher said on my report that I have to be more consistent in my efforts. We had an speech assessment and a Poetry assessment; I got 8/20 on the speech and 7/15 on the Poetry assessment. I feel like English has become too heavily based on analyzing texts, which I am just not good at, because I just can't go that in depth in study. I know I have to get used to it because of the importance of Year 11 and 12 but I don't know how because I just can't get my mind to think like that.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
My teacher said on my report that I have to be more consistent in my efforts. We had an speech assessment and a Poetry assessment; I got 8/20 on the speech and 7/15 on the Poetry assessment. I feel like English has become too heavily based on analyzing texts, which I am just not good at, because I just can't go that in depth in study. I know I have to get used to it because of the importance of Year 11 and 12 but I don't know how because I just can't get my mind to think like that.
Look at the sentence you just wrote. I can see high potential in you human. Keep submitting! Even though you cannot right the best essay there is right now, you have a year to improve. In Year 11, it's time to expose your flaws to your teacher and receive critical feedback and improve. That's how you approach English. Keep trying. Coming from a mathematical person, I have never written until Year 11. I have found that I am above the rest in creative writing. I have discovered many skills of English that I never knew I had. Now, you need to use your potential, get out and go get some! Now it's your turn young one.

Good luck.

My story so far:

I have never ever enjoyed English before Year 11. Let alone score decent marks in it. I have always hated giving speeches, writing and especially reading those long novels they gave out during Year 7-10. But then a though struck my head! If I am hating English, then most likely some of the state will too. Another thought struck Spiral's mind. If I could some how improve on English, I will be miles ahead of some of the state! Eureka! Read, write, repeat. Marks are slowly climbing. So far it has paid great dividends. Do not give up young one. In Year 11 and 12, you will be able to choose your own related material and write about it.

Are you mathematical? Chances are you have never written before. Chances are you have never read before. How are you going to grow apple trees without planting apple seeds?

If you write and fail. It is okay. You have 4 more quarter's to go! The game is not over yet. Write, give it to your teacher and say, "Hey, how can I improve this by October next year?"

The thing that most interests me in English personally, is reading material that I can relate to. Especially belonging and journey texts.

You probably have people in your class that are "smart" and get 100 in their English assessments. It's okay. "Sometimes it's not about skill, it's about will."Etthehiphoppreacher. Work hard and get what you set out to achieve. So what if they are ahead of you? So what if they are smarter? I have news for you, it's all about hard work. So while your opponent sleeps, you are studying. When he is on the internet, you are working. Eventually you will catch up.

Spiral's Law of the Universe: "Every object and person will get what they deserve in the end."

Last edited:
HSC
Are you in Year 12? I see you do English Advanced, and you felt the same way about English like I did in Year 10. How did you change your approach to it?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Are you in Year 12? I see you do English Advanced, and you felt the same way about English like I did in Year 10. How did you change your approach to it?
I am in Year 11. Just edited it. Re-read what I wrote.

HSC
I think I can do okay in English if I try harder, I don't always try my best in tests so I don't always get good marks, but everytime I did, I have. But I always have trouble with concentrating and getting books out and studying because I have so many distractions (fb, music, youtube, etc)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I think I can do okay in English if I try harder, I don't always try my best in tests so I don't always get good marks, but everytime I did, I have. But I always have trouble with concentrating and getting books out and studying because I have so many distractions (fb, music, youtube, etc)
Still editing it. Hold on. It takes time to develop study habits.

Last edited:

Gigacube

HSC
You should make an attempt to try harder. It's good to know what you're capable of. I know how it is with all those distractions but you've got to cut them down & use them as rewards. E.g. You want to try and read Othello by Shakespeare but you're distracted by the internet. What I would do is read 20 mins of Othello away from the distractions and reward myself 5 mins on the internet and repeat. After I've done about 60 mins of reading in total I usually allow myself a longer break of 20 mins and move onto something else.

Do you know your learning type? As in are you an Auditory learner, Visual learner or Kinaesthetic learner?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Practice is your best bet.
If you can afford a tutor, I highly recommend one.
Utilize your teacher, they are invaluable.
Memorisation of papagraphs, helps too, the people who get top marks, don't just come up with whole essays on the spot :).
Good luck!

HSC
Btw, how much work is Year 11? About 2-3 hours a day, or more, or is that Year 12? I would think at least 2 hours a day should be sufficient enough? And Year 11 marks don't count towards the HSC, correct? Our school doesn't tell us all this.

Gigacube

HSC
Btw, how much work is Year 11? About 2-3 hours a day, or more, or is that Year 12? I would think at least 2 hours a day should be sufficient enough? And Year 11 marks don't count towards the HSC, correct? Our school doesn't tell us all this.
It differs. I don't think it's 2-3 hours per day unless you're preparing for a test. Maybe 1 hour or less per day.

No marks in year 11 go towards your HSC. Year 11 is 3 terms which means HSC starts in Term 4. You'll need to understand the concepts you learn in year 11 for HSC.

HSC
I had an study skills thing at my school, and the organizer said that Year 11 is a LOT of work, like at least 3 hours a day and those that are really motivated it's like 4+ hours. I was like "WHAT?"! LOL

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
For a second there I thought you said "Done eating strawberry"
I don't eat people all the time.

I had an study skills thing at my school, and the organizer said that Year 11 is a LOT of work, like at least 3 hours a day and those that are really motivated it's like 4+ hours. I was like "WHAT?"! LOL
They are lying. Study smarter not harder.

Badger your teacher continually, worked for me.
Do that. Go to their houses at midnight if you have to. Actually, use email.

Last edited:

Gigacube

HSC
Some subjects have a larger workload than others. What subjects are you thinking of taking next year? We'll be able to give you a better idea that way of how much work you'll get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)