hi is it possible to get high bend 5 or 6 in standard eng? (1 Viewer)

moniyoo

HSC
hi is it possible to get high bend 5 or 6 in standard eng? especially when you are in really bad ranked school?
myschool rank--->
rank- 336/412
2009 rank- 264
total credit- 121
total year12 student- 434 (it's big school)
total attempt- 2461
2010 success rate - 5%<--- loook at this Ohhh nooo
but any way where should i be to get good marks in eng so i can get my atar around 90's
is it possible to get around 90's if you go really good in other subjects?
and what is the common highest bend for st ENg?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
High band 5 or 6 in Standard English... yeah, you wish. You can't even spell 'band' properly. You'd need to be ranked like... 1st in your grade and get exceptional marks in English - which you're not gonna get with writing like that.

Can you get a 90 ATAR? Sure, depends what your other subjects are - and if you're much better in them than you are at spelling and grammar.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Now there shadow, don't be mean

Offcourse you can get it, just need to work hard... very hard.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
iRuler, with writing like this:

hi is it possible to get high bend 5 or 6 in standard eng? especially when you are in really bad ranked school?
myschool rank--->
rank- 336/412
2009 rank- 264
total credit- 121
total year12 student- 434 (it's big school)
total attempt- 2461
2010 success rate - 5%<--- loook at this Ohhh nooo
but any way where should i be to get good marks in eng so i can get my atar around 90's
is it possible to get around 90's if you go really good in other subjects?
and what is the common highest bend for st ENg?
I'll be surprised if the person breaks Band 4.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
High band 5 or 6 in Standard English... yeah, you wish. You can't even spell 'band' properly. You'd need to be ranked like... 1st in your grade and get exceptional marks in English - which you're not gonna get with writing like that.

Can you get a 90 ATAR? Sure, depends what your other subjects are - and if you're much better in them than you are at spelling and grammar.
Spelling and grammar is almost irrelevant in the HSC. It's your bullshitting skills that gets you marks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Spelling and grammar is almost irrelevant in the HSC. It's your bullshitting skills that gets you marks.
Yes, but if your writing doesn't make sense and it's littered with spelling and grammar mistakes - you're clearly going to get a lower mark than what you would've if it was written nicely. Some people might disagree but I would think that as there is no definitive marking system, you're going to lose one or two or a few marks because it doesn't read well.

And that'll especially hold in the creatives sections.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
My teacher said this.

She always says, as long as your message is clear spelling doesn't count (as long as it is obvious what the word was meant to be)

@Shadow, my teacher would disagree with you, spellling mistakes won't make an affect

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad

Agreed. In such a low ranked school, you must be coming atleast 1st or 2nd at minimal and continually topping the grade in order to have a descent chance at high band 5 or 6...

Just try your best!!!!!

lol shadow :)

Im not sure, don't think spelling and grammar is that significant in the HSC also. I guess your ideas and quality of essays covers it up.. Especially in my case situation has worked fairly well..

Last edited:

anne1010

HSC
whats your english rank and how many people do the subject? also, how many people get a band 5 in std english in your school? do you have a good english cohort? if say last year 10 people got a band 5 and your ranked 15, you ace externals and get that band 5 you wanted.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
Poor spelling and grammar detract from the sophistication of your writing and may be the tiny difference between a high band 6 super script to low band 6. So it is somewhat important to have good spelling and grammar.

Anything is possible, but the probability is low. Only 5 or 6 people last year in standard obtained a band 6 in AOS and they would be at the highly ranked school one would imagine. I'm with Shadow on this one.

Last edited:

lukasheights

HSC
Yes, but if your writing doesn't make sense and it's littered with spelling and grammar mistakes - you're clearly going to get a lower mark than what you would've if it was written nicely. Some people might disagree but I would think that as there is no definitive marking system, you're going to lose one or two or a few marks because it doesn't read well.

And that'll especially hold in the creatives sections.
This. It needs to flow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)