be mediocre in advance or be good in standard? (1 Viewer)

tantantan

HSC
Hey guys im not sure what to do
I'm stuck in the mediocre range in advance English get like 15/20 usually for my assessments.

this recent one i got 15/20 speech and 17/20 for visual rep
I try really damn hard on these assessments. I asked for my tutors opinion about this he on went on a 50 minute rage to prove to me advance is better cos scaling, alignments, etc.

can anyone who has done standard offer some advice? anyone :confused:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
As the others said, don't drop to standard. Besides, those listed marks aren't that bad, you can definitely improve two-fold over a year (plenty of time). And if you're really dedicated in your studies, why not aim a bit higher rather than be mediocre? You could potentially achieve a b5, or even b6, provided you work hard.

Good luck!

Confound

HSC
Hey guys im not sure what to do
I'm stuck in the mediocre range in advance English get like 15/20 usually for my assessments.

this recent one i got 15/20 speech and 17/20 for visual rep
I try really damn hard on these assessments. I asked for my tutors opinion about this he on went on a 50 minute rage to prove to me advance is better cos scaling, alignments, etc.

can anyone who has done standard offer some advice? anyone :confused:
I have done standard and dropping down to standard will be the BIGGEST MISTAKE OF YOUR LIFE.

Stay in Adv.

- Confound

p.s. those marks aren't that bad, you still have plenty of time

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
mediocre in advanced is much better than a good in standard. In standard there is no good, it is always shit, anyone that can do 'good' in standard belongs in advanced.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Medicore in adv levels out to good in standard really.

Stay in ADV honestly. Standard is an ATAR killer. 0.4% of the standard population get band 6's....compared to ADV which is 12-13% (I think). And ADV has Gatsby. That shit is awesome.

tantantan

HSC
Aww thanks for all the responses guys :tongue2:
ADV so hard tho

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Aww thanks for all the responses guys :tongue2:
ADV so hard tho
I can tell you right now that Advanced English isn't as hard as it looks (srs). If you have enough belief in your abilities, there's no reason why you can't excel in the course. Trust me, I used to be shocking at the subject in year 10; didn't even know how to write an essay back then lol. Come around to year 11, by the end of the prelim year, I was in the top 10 for my cohort. The first term of year 12, I handed in my discovery creative writing piece for my first assessment and I'm confident that I will attain a solid mark. How do you think I improved? Through sheer practice - I constantly sent scripts to my teacher/tutor for marking, in which they pointed out my weaknesses. I knew exactly what the markers wanted in good responses, I made sure my essays pertained to the rubric as much as possible. Which leads to my next point: ANSWER THE BLOODY QUESTION.

And if you're frightened of Shakespeare, just read other versions of the set play your school gives; by the end, you should come out with a holistic understanding of the the themes, characters, scenes, etc.

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
Trust me, I used to be shocking at the subject in year 10; didn't even know how to write an essay back then lol. Come around to year 11, by the end of the prelim year, I was in the top 10 for my cohort.
I think we're twins lol. I was exactly the same. Despite my shocking ability to write ANYTHING, I chose Adv English, got a tutor, and then :hammer:. However, the peeps doing standard English in my cohort are all screwed. MOST of them just left half way through the exam lel. While us, the advanced crew smashed our exams (hopefully).

P.S. Choose Advanced. Even if you get average, it's equivalent or even better than a 'good' in standard. Trust me, Advanced isn't even advanced tbh

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I was personally in standard for the entire HSC and the top 1-2 students in Standard can typically sit in the top 5 of advanced quite comfortably (and if you are not in the top 2 for standard ripatar). Definitely mediocre in Advanced and just work on your English over time

Feynman

HSC
Also standard doesn't kill ATARs. Someone got 99.2 last year with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)