Help please. (1 Viewer)

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
salut :) (hi),

I'm sorry if this sounds dumb but how can i be an admin or a supermod, do u have to pay or something?
do u have access to other people's password or something ?????
Also when applying to become a mod, could u like mention all ur academic/sporting/music achievements, i need to know cos i've just started my application for mod :)
Merci. (thanks)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
1) Admins and Super Moderators are promoted within the moderator team.
2) No-one has to pay to be a mod.
3) No-one in the moderator team has access to users' passwords.
4) You can include whatever you want in your application. Here's a general tip; a successful application (not just BoS but anywhere) gets to the point in a concise manner and sells the qualities they bring to the job exceptionally well.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
1) Admins and Super Moderators are promoted within the moderator team.
2) No-one has to pay to be a mod.
3) No-one in the moderator team has access to users' passwords.
4) You can include whatever you want in your application. Here's a general tip; a successful application (not just BoS but anywhere) gets to the point in a concise manner and sells the qualities they bring to the job exceptionally well.
Thanks for all the great tips :D
How much should I write ? i've written about 2 A4 pages.
Should I write it like a letter?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Do u need to be certain age or have a certain number of post or rep power to be a mod?
No, there is no explicit requirement but all these factors are considered in our decision.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
So, do u think i have enough rep power or posts and the right age (14) to be a mod?
For me, I don't think that the quantity of rep or your post count matters for becoming a mod, but rather, the quality of your posts and contribution to the BoS community.

As for age, I'm the youngest mod on the current team and if you display enough responsibility and maturity, age doesn't really matter although it would be considered (for me at least) to a lesser extent.

enoilgam

HSC
When I vote on Mod applications, I have four basic criteria which I use to assess the applicant.

Professionalism/Integrity: This is the most important category for me - if someone fails this, then I automatically vote no to their application.

Suitability: Also another important category, for this I consider post count, infraction history, user attitude, maturity and whether the user makes a diverse contribution. In terms of post count, I am fairly rigid - I automatically eliminate anyone with under 1,000 posts because I dont think this shows enough of a sustained contribution. Just to note, I dont think having an infraction history automatically rules a person out from becoming a Moderator - if you have been infracted for going off-topic or something minor, I wouldnt really hold this against you. When I consider this, I look at the severity and the length of time which has expired since the last infraction.

Demand: I look at demand for a Moderator overall and in the specific forums the user has applied for Modship. To me, overall demand trumps forum specific demand because most of our moderating occurs in the general forums.

Commitment: An applicant must demonstrate to me that they are going to stay on once Modded. It irritates me when we appoint a person who promptly disappears from the site when they start Modding. Whilst you dont need to be super active, you have a responsibility to carry out certain duties as a Moderator and a failure to do so makes the job tougher for the rest of us.

The top two criteria are deal breakers for me, whereas I am willing to be more flexible on the last two (i.e. I would vote for a great applicant even if I felt that we didnt have the demand).

enoilgam

HSC
So, do u think i have enough rep power or posts and the right age (14) to be a mod?
As OzKo said, there are no hard and fast rules, but for me your age would be an issue. It is very rare to find a 14 year old posting on BoS, let alone becoming a Moderator and for good reason. In this role, you are required to deal with people who are in their late teens/early 20s and it would be very difficult for someone that young to handle the responsibility. I mean, rumbleroar is the first Mod in their HSC year we have appointed since 2011 (and that was because she was an exceptional applicant).

I think you have the potential to become a Moderator at some point in the future - I'd just encourage you to diversify your contribution and establish yourself within the community.

Despite my last two posts, I always encourage people to apply and give it a go - we are always on the lookout for more Moderators, so dont be afraid to apply.

enoilgam

HSC
Yes please.
Talking strictly from a personal perspective, I think you need to establish yourself more in the community as being an elder figure. You have to ask yourself whether you have the respectibility - people may respect you as a user, but will they respect you as a leader? An orange username does not automatically make you respected - you need that before you become a Moderator.

That being said, that shouldnt discourage you from applying. A failed application does not rule you out of contention - in fact, it raises your profile amongst the team. If you re-apply after a rejection, this can show us that you are dedicated to becoming a Moderator.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
enoilgam; may you also post your opinion on me. I have considered applying to become a moderator but i though my chances were spread pretty thin

enoilgam

HSC
What about the contributions I made to the forums, i.e. the guide to choosing your English course, picking your subjects in year 9 and 10 - you know those threads I constructed?
A lot of users are under the impression that a strong contribution is what we look for in potential Moderators. However, whilst making a consistent and beneficial contribution is needed for Modship, you need to show us that you can do more as a Moderator. All users can contribute by making threads and answering question, it doesnt take Modship to do that. Think of it like this, if you are going for a job interview, you are expected to be well presented (i.e. suit, tie, clean shaven etc). However, being well presented itself isnt going to get you a job (no one gets hired because they had a nice suit).

Haven't I gained the respect of most people? Or is that way off the mark.
You are respected, but you need to be seen as a more senior figure to become a Moderator. Like I said, you have to ask yourself whether people will respect you and your decisions if you become a leader. Keep in mind, you are in Year 11 and it is rare for us to appoint people who are still in HS (in the four years I have been on BoS, I have only ever seen 3 or 4 people Modded during their HSC year and none from Prelim).

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
As OzKo said, there are no hard and fast rules, but for me your age would be an issue. It is very rare to find a 14 year old posting on BoS, let alone becoming a Moderator and for good reason. In this role, you are required to deal with people who are in their late teens/early 20s and it would be very difficult for someone that young to handle the responsibility. I mean, rumbleroar is the first Mod in their HSC year we have appointed since 2011 (and that was because she was an exceptional applicant).

I think you have the potential to become a Moderator at some point in the future - I'd just encourage you to diversify your contribution and establish yourself within the community.

Despite my last two posts, I always encourage people to apply and give it a go - we are always on the lookout for more Moderators, so dont be afraid to apply.
Hi,
Thanks for all the great tips and advice, much appreciated :)
How can i diversify and establish myself?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)