Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Discussion Thread for Atar Notes & other forums

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Re: ATAR Notes vs Bored of Studies

Quote Originally Posted by enoilgam View Post
    I think this is a fair point about BoS. What you have to remember though is that a lot of the Mods on BoS are quite old and removed from the HSC. Like for me, I graduated from uni several years ago and have been working full-time for quite a while now. So for me its hard to post in the HSC forums because it was just so long ago. Also, when you work full-time it can be draining and posting on BoS and doing things like essay marking can be a real drain. I see myself as being more of an elder statesman on BoS and my contribution is more limited to employment (namely because I work in the HR area).

So that being said, Id like to see more younger Moderators who are either doing their HSC or have just finished. I think building that bridge between the mod team and user base is very important. We always welcome applications and I personally wouldnt mind seeing a few more people applying.
    We'll we do have some moderators who 've been here for a while and are working fulltime i.e. Trebla and Carrotsticks

But that said, we do have some young moderators who can relate to people quite well e.g. ppl like Strawberrye, Blit2014 and Katsumi

But ATAR notes isn't really targeted for uni students though (in victoria it is but not in NSW) as opposed to BOS it is

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Simorgh View Post
    The amount of searches over time on Google.

Lets compare the likes on Facebook as of now.

Bored of Studies: 1,160
    ATAR Notes: 12,089
    I guess BOS's popularity has declined over the years? What's the reason for this?

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

The amount of searches over time on Google.

Lets compare the likes on Facebook as of now.

Bored of Studies: 1,160
    ATAR Notes: 12,089
    That's munted though, especially when BOS has been used by HSC students longer than ATAR notes

Also I believe the way ATAR notes markets themselves, is what makes them look popular as opposed to BOS and how they run free lectures and offer free essay marking for people who need it

BOS (IMO) seems popular because it's been existing here for a while and has been originally used by HSC students (remember ATAR notes was orginally used by Victorian's). It kinda starts off with people helping each other out and then people paying by by helping others out, etc. It's sort of like a chain reaction

HSC

If we're going on arbitrary constraints, then I will put this out as I have not seen anything about it yet.

ATAR notes is ugly as heck, the formatting is difficult to follow, so it's nearly impossible to tell where one post ends and another begins.

Compare BOS, where we have the distinct Navy Blue banner which marks the beginning of every post. The simplicity of the layout is easy on the eyes too.
    pikachu975 likes this.
    If I am a conic section, then my e = ∞

Just so we don't have this discussion in the future, my definition of the natural numbers includes 0.

HSC

Past 90 days within Australia. Must have been a busy period with all the Yr 12s preparing for trials and the current exams as of now.

Last edited by Simorgh; 22 Oct 2016 at 2:30 PM.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    That's munted though, especially when BOS has been used by HSC students longer than ATAR notes

Also I believe the way ATAR notes markets themselves, is what makes them look popular as opposed to BOS and how they run free lectures and offer free essay marking for people who need it

BOS (IMO) seems popular because it's been existing here for a while and has been originally used by HSC students (remember ATAR notes was orginally used by Victorian's). It kinda starts off with people helping each other out and then people paying by by helping others out, etc. It's sort of like a chain reaction
    So the main reason for ATAR Notes' apparent increase in recent popularity vs. BOS would be advertising superiority?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by InteGrand View Post
    I guess BOS's popularity has declined over the years? What's the reason for this?
    The high times of BOS were from 2004 to 2011 according to Google. Even from a lot of the older threads on this site I noticed there used to be so much activity until now.

Notice how the HSC comes closer every year activity gradually sky rocketed. Notice all those peaks.

Last edited by Simorgh; 22 Oct 2016 at 2:51 PM.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

The high times of BOS were from 2004 to 2011 according to Google. Even from a lot of the older threads on this site I noticed there used to be so much activity until now.

Yeah, that does seem to be the case. Perhaps after such a long time, people just got bored of Bored of Studies.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by InteGrand View Post
    So the main reason for ATAR Notes' apparent increase in recent popularity vs. BOS would be advertising superiority?
    It's really the way they market and advertise themselves to the general public (well to be more exact HSC students). Like how they keep saying things like "we understand the HSC is hard, and we wanna help you go through it" and how they claim to offer free services such as "free essay marking" and "free lectures" as opposed to other businesses that charge money. Also they claim that they "tutor" people "for free" when really all they offer is free help for nothing in return

They also say things like "our service becomes better when you invite more people to join ATAR notes", hence I am getting this feeling ppl are spreading the word of ATAR notes (also for free essay marking and free lectures)

I remember in one of their lecture slides it said "ATAR notes, just like Boredofstudies but better"

HSC

They also say things like "our service becomes better when you invite more people to join ATAR notes", hence I am getting this feeling ppl are spreading the word of ATAR notes (also for free essay marking and free lectures)
    The thing with something like this is sustainability. As I said before, eventually Mods get older and they just cant keep providing this kind of service. It has to be a perpetual thing whereby new users come on and start providing the service. Ive always been an adherent to the logic that Mods dont create, they facilitate.
    mreditor16 likes this.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

HSC
    Uni Grad

Notice how the HSC comes closer every year activity sky rocketed. Notice all those peaks.

thats when I was around

#famous

HSC

Notice how the HSC comes closer every year activity gradually sky rocketed. Notice all those peaks.

My pulse rate tbh.
    If I am a conic section, then my e = ∞

Just so we don't have this discussion in the future, my definition of the natural numbers includes 0.

HSC

I probably shouldn't have called my ATAR Notes account Orwell...
    HSC 2017: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, SOR 1

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
    I probably shouldn't have called my ATAR Notes account Orwell...
    Used the same username since I thought I wouldn't being using it .-. Oh well rip
    HSC 2016: EE2 | MX1 | Chemistry | Physics
    UNI 2017: B Advanced Science / B Engineering (Chemical Engineering)
    tfw like, 5 rip

reminder that turntaker is a qtpa2t white grill stop the h8 don't discrimin8:
    Quote Originally Posted by turntaker View Post
    I am going to confess to bos that i recognise as a female.
    please refer to me as female. thank you.

HSC

Nah, I only made an account because some chick had her EE2 Major up for download and I needed an account to get it. I didn't nor do I plan on using Atar Notes as opposed to BOS.

Btw, is Atar Notes in its infancy? Their notes aren't as excessive nor substantive as BOS.
    HSC 2017: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, SOR 1

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
    Nah, I only made an account because some chick had her EE2 Major up for download and I needed an account to get it. I didn't nor do I plan on using Atar Notes as opposed to BOS.

Btw, is Atar Notes in its infancy? Their notes aren't as excessive nor substantive as BOS.
    They have been around since 2007 and their still much more popular in Victoria. However they only recently started targetting the HSC and students in NSW like only this year I believe. So most of their notes and forum for HSC is of this year.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

They have been around since 2007 and their still much more popular in Victoria. However they only recently started targetting the HSC and students in NSW like only this year I believe. So most of their notes and forum for HSC is of this year.
    Do you have an account?

HSC

Another fact to consider..that the people running Atar Notes get paid so they can work full time there and help the kids out with essays and what not..but mods here work voluntary...Carrotsticks doesn't get paid making BoS trials while when they run the Lectures they get money from universities and advertisements. Personally I don't see any 'battle', my sole purpose to use both sites is to help me through HSC.
    Last edited by Green Yoda; 22 Oct 2016 at 4:28 PM.
    2016 Preliminary

Maths Extension • English Advanced • Biology • Legal Studies • Physics • PDHPE

2017 HSC

Maths Extension 2 • English Advanced • Biology • Physics • PDHPE

Atar aim: 97
    Desired Course: Physiotherapy

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Rathin View Post
    Another fact to consider..that the people running Atar Notes get paid so they can work full time there and help the kids out with essays and what not..but mods here work voluntary...Carrotsticks doesn't get paid making BoS trials while when they run the Lectures they get money from universities and advertisements. Personally I don't see any 'battle' my sole purpose to use both sites to help me through HSC.
    That's people like Brenden who are the op managers of ATAR notes, not moderators like Jamon, Jake and Elyse (uni students) though who actually work for ATAR notes. You have to remember that ATAR notes is mainly situated in Vic (and there isn't as much attention to NSW) and BOS is associated with the HSC

I think the way they get paid is through selling those revision booklets, not the essay marking because they offer essay marking for free.

And yes the mods on BOS do things voluntarily for the benefit of others and so do some other moderators in ATAR notes

ANd the lectures run at UTS are actually for free. They have to ask them to use the rooms free of charge

HSC

Do you have an account?
    I have one becuase I wanted to have a look at their notes. But never posted.

HSC

Only posted on atar notes for the maths HSC thread since they have solutions there but other than that no, because the format is so bad.
    Paradoxica likes this.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

HSC
    Uni Grad

If you guys have ideas to better the site, and more importantly believe you have the dedication and commitment to help us make the site better-then I welcome you all to apply to be a moderator-a site will only be as good as the willingness of people to work towards changing it. We need more people to be willing to step up to the responsibility, moderate this site and expand on what we offer. The chance is in your hands (don't complain and expect other people will always be able to change it-there is only so few of us who moderates the forums regularly, and even less who post regularly, hence when you ask questions, also think about what you can give back to the BOS community in return-it really is a cyclic thing.

HSC

That's people like Brenden who are the op managers of ATAR notes, not moderators like Jamon, Jake and Elyse (uni students) though who actually work for ATAR notes. You have to remember that ATAR notes is mainly situated in Vic (and there isn't as much attention to NSW) and BOS is associated with the HSC

I think the way they get paid is through selling those revision booklets, not the essay marking because they offer essay marking for free.

And yes the mods on BOS do things voluntarily for the benefit of others and so do some other moderators in ATAR notes

ANd the lectures run at UTS are actually for free. They have to ask them to use the rooms free of charge
    They are sponsored my uts with the lectures, so I think uts pays $$$ to them for the publicity tbh

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    If you guys have ideas to better the site, and more importantly believe you have the dedication and commitment to help us make the site better-then I welcome you all to apply to be a moderator-a site will only be as good as the willingness of people to work towards changing it. We need more people to be willing to step up to the responsibility, moderate this site and expand on what we offer. The chance is in your hands (don't complain and expect other people will always be able to change it-there is only so few of us who moderates the forums regularly, and even less who post regularly, hence when you ask questions, also think about what you can give back to the BOS community in return-it really is a cyclic thing.
    I'm going to second this. Moderator applications are highly encouraged and needed to keep the site going. I'd suggest giving it a go if you at all want to play a direct part in the running and improvement of BoS.

If anyone wants to discuss anything about modship/apps privately you can always PM me
    4025808 and mreditor16 like this.
    Site Moderator: Business Studies, Community & Family Studies, Information Processes & Technology, Information Technology,University of Technology Sydney, All General Discussion Boards

Bachelor of Commerce (Finance & Banking) @ University of Sydney
    Operations @ Big 4 Bank

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    I'm going to second this. Moderator applications are highly encouraged and needed to keep the site going. I'd suggest giving it a go if you at all want to play a direct part in the running and improvement of BoS.

If anyone wants to discuss anything about modship/apps privately you can always PM me
    Isn't there a certain criteria you must meet in order to become a mod Katusmi? (e.g. your contributions to this forum, your infraction history, why you want to become a mod, etc)

BTW I forgot to mention (I'm talking mainly to you Simorgh) but in ATAR notes, if you get IP banned, you account(s) get permanently banned as well, so if you try to go on another computer under another IP and login into your original account, they'll IP ban atar notes from that computer as well, so yeah if you wanna come back to ATAR notes, then do it under another username and a brand new IP

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information