Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chickencoop

Thread: HSC Exam Thoughts 2016. Drastically reduced participation?

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

HSC Exam Thoughts 2016. Drastically reduced participation?

After BOSTES gets the previous years exams uploaded, I usually like to take a look at the "Exam Thoughts" forums to get a feeling for how the students found the exams.

For some reason the participation in the 2016 exam thoughts forums seems to be drastically reduced compared with previous years. Well at least for the subjects in which I'm interested, Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the reason for this downturn. Is it a simple lack of interest in post examination discussions this year, or is it due to the rise of alternate mediums for discussion that has caused this?

Any ideas?

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC

Re: HSC Exam Thoughts 2016. Drastically reduced participation?

Competitor websites

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Thanks Queenroot. I thought that might have been the case.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by uart View Post
    After BOSTES gets the previous years exams uploaded, I usually like to take a look at the "Exam Thoughts" forums to get a feeling for how the students found the exams.

For some reason the participation in the 2016 exam thoughts forums seems to be drastically reduced compared with previous years. Well at least for the subjects in which I'm interested, Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the reason for this downturn. Is it a simple lack of interest in post examination discussions this year, or is it due to the rise of alternate mediums for discussion that has caused this?

Any ideas?
    I think the website as a whole (not just post-Exam threads) may have declined in popularity drastically over the years. A good resource is Google Trends, which provides data of relative search popularity on Google over time for any phrase you're interested in. The search term "Bored of Studies" appears to have declined in popularity over the years (with a major drop around 2011-ish), as this shows:

https://www.google.com.au/trends/exp...20of%20studies .

(Of course, there are seasonal spikes corresponding to more activity around HSC Exam time each year I think, but the overall trend is negative.)

HSC

I dont want to sound like a bummer, but i feel like the students who care about education in each year 2015, 2016...etc is gradually decreasing and the general consensus about exams and exam thoughts depreciates alongside with it..
    Zoinked likes this.
    Class of 2016

HSC Subjects: Physics, Economics, Advanced English, Extension 1 Mathematics, Extension 2 Mathematics

ATAR Goal: 88
    ATAR: 96.05
    2017 Uni: B. Psychology at USYD

HSC
    Uni Grad

I'd say more people prefer shitposting on those hsc fb groups, coincidently they became popular from 2013 onwards

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not

~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by chickencoop View Post
    I dont want to sound like a bummer, but i feel like the students who care about education in each year 2015, 2016...etc is gradually decreasing and the general consensus about exams and exam thoughts depreciates alongside with it..
    True. Education in Australia unfortunately isn't valued that highly.

2016 ATAR: >90
    2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) @ Mq Uni

aoc
    Cadet
    HSC

As ive sat my HSC this year i will have to agree with the sentiment that education is not as highly valued as it was before and i would also have to agree with the notion that people prefer posting about their thoughts of tests on facebook and social media opposed to websites such as this

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMx View Post
    I'd say more people prefer shitposting on those hsc fb groups, coincidently they became popular from 2013 onwards
    definitely seen that

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by aoc View Post
    As ive sat my HSC this year i will have to agree with the sentiment that education is not as highly valued as it was before and i would also have to agree with the notion that people prefer posting about their thoughts of tests on facebook and social media opposed to websites such as this
    Absolutely correct.
    2016 HSC

Advanced English (89) | Business Studies (92) | Legal Studies (94) | History Extension (47) | Ancient History (92) | Modern History (92)

ATAR: 97.55

Bachelor of Communication (Social and Political Sciences), Bachelor of Laws @ UTS

Thread Information