Biggest Tip For Monologues (1 Viewer)

HSC
It's been sed soooo many times yet people choose to ignore it....

DO NOT CHOOSE THE FOLLOWING TO PERFORM...

1. TEEN ANGST
2. SUICIDE
3. ABORTIONS
4. CHEAP 2 MIN MONOLOGUES FROOM TEEN BOOKS YOU GET FROM THE LIBRARY/INTERNET SITES THAT YOU STRETCH OUT BY URSELF
5. DEATH IN A NEGATIVE WAY
6. DRAMATIC MONOLOGUES THAT ARE WAY OUT OF UR LEAGUE
7. ACTUALLY ANYTHING THAT IS WAY OUT OF UR LEAGUE
8. A FAMOUS MONOLOGUE FROM A FAMOUS MOVIE
9. ANYTHING FROM A TEXT YOU ARE STUDYING IN ANY OTHER COURSE
10. DONT GET A MONOLOGUE FROM GIRL INTERRUPTED, TOP GIRLS OR BOMBSHELLS
11. AMERICAN TRASHY MONOLOGUES EG. REDNECK INCEST CRAP

:burn: SRY BOUT THE CAPS BUT I BET MOST OF U WILL IGNORE MY TIPS ANYWAY....if you do the opposite of wat i say... u r gay

jazzmuzik

HSC
great summary there! and yes to all those 2007-ers doing performance take note of the girl! and save us the pain! :)

and dont be detered there is still lots of good material out there, and if you disagree you can still write your own. I recommend finding a novel and taking out the dialogue to be a monologue. i did this with "Curious incident of the dog in the night time" by Mark haddon. it was very sucessful.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
She is right. 100% right. I guarantee you that no matter how wonderfully original you think your teen angst/suicide/rape monologue is, the markers have seen it a hundred times before. Steer clear! :)

booties4

HSC
Another tip:
DO NOT USE TO MANY PROPS
limit yourself.....This is how the markers think-
"The performance was good but the actor has used to many props...it would be hard to set all of their props up at onstage....whats the point of nominating them, they wont get through"
Trust me on this one....one girl last year did an amazing performance, everyone was talking about it and she was practically gauranteeing herself a spot at onstage. Problem was she had to many props when she didnt really need them.

The onstage nomination went to another girl who did alright, but she wasnt as good as the girl who used props.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Hey hey...

I must have started the Bombshells trend, because hardly anyone had even heard of it when I did it.

And even so, most people would've done "the mother", not the crazy cat teenager.

So, how's this forum going? It's been a while...

twisted.fairyta

HSC
Thanks for the information.
I've read it before and l am going to try anf=d follow it correctly.
I am considering doing a monologue about a female that talks about the good old days in cricket and wants to streak across the feild in the Australian and Aboriginal flag in representation of her country and it mentions the history about cricket for the Australian and Aboriginals and how she wants to have a memory always of the good old days.
She wears a trench coat the whole time until the end and l just have to cut out the word penis a few times and it should be totally acceptable.
My teacher says it's fine but l don't want to come off too trashy or worse, get bad marks in HSC preformance.

So basically l was wondering if that sounds acceptable to do, l know already that most of the marks are from private schools and are quiet convsertative in that manner and ect.

Thank you.
x

LumpyLoo

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
She is right. 100% right. I guarantee you that no matter how wonderfully original you think your teen angst/suicide/rape monologue is, the markers have seen it a hundred times before. Steer clear! :)
Hm im writing my monologue, trying to be fairly original and mine is about this chick whos completely obsessed with tis guy. she thinks of him all the time, dreams of him, but hes said that he cant love her the way she loves him. in her dreams, they have.. 'erotic encounters' .. *giggle* (im very mature when it comes to sex haha).. and after they do it.. giggle* he turns to leave and doesnt say why hes going, so *in the dream* she takes a knife and buries it in his heart. then shes talking about how much she hates him for leaving and shes mesmerised by the sight of his blood.. and how passion drove her to do it

ive been thinking.. is that too .. 'ugh, ive seen it a thousand times'? do u think its too 'done'?

Loza33

HSC
Hey guys,

I didnt want to do the whole 'teenage angst' thing.... but the thing is im good at dramatic stuff... lots of emotional heart wrenching kind of things...

So i tried to be different.. im doing an older lady with breast cancer.. and how she deals with telling her family and that kind of stuff....

Things is, its still pretty dramatic and im scared that even though its not 'teen angst' the markers might thing it is similiar....

What do you think?

LumpyLoo

HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
The first part sounded pretty alright until it got to where she takes a knife and buries it in his heart... How are you going to do that?
+ stay away from the whole blood thing. Markers dont want to see that.
The thing is, she doesnt fully .. well.. but... hm.. if i give it to you, and u just read the end.. wanna post some feedback?

Thats the only thing in there.. after that she just fixates on how much she hates him and... how heartless he is.. kind of.. haha

lemme know ;)

Love Lumpy xxx

jessal

HSC
booties4 said:
Another tip:
DO NOT USE TO MANY PROPS
limit yourself.....This is how the markers think-
"The performance was good but the actor has used to many props...it would be hard to set all of their props up at onstage....whats the point of nominating them, they wont get through"
Trust me on this one....one girl last year did an amazing performance, everyone was talking about it and she was practically gauranteeing herself a spot at onstage. Problem was she had to many props when she didnt really need them.​

The onstage nomination went to another girl who did alright, but she wasnt as good as the girl who used props.

suprisingly,not everyones aim in life is to get to onstage.

who would've thunk it.

booties4

HSC
jessal said:
suprisingly,not everyones aim in life is to get to onstage.

who would've thunk it.
Yes but being nominated for onstage generally means you got full marks!

Loza33

HSC
booties4 said:
Yes but being nominated for onstage generally means you got full marks!
Yes, but you can get full marks and not be nominated for onstage.. while someone who got say.. 97% might.... they look for variety as well..

Im more concerned with my marks than onstage, seen as im not plannin gin being in sydney around the time of onstge so i would most likely have ot turn it down..

Onstage isnt everything

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Loza33 said:
Yes, but you can get full marks and not be nominated for onstage.. while someone who got say.. 97% might.... they look for variety as well..

Im more concerned with my marks than onstage, seen as im not plannin gin being in sydney around the time of onstge so i would most likely have ot turn it down..

Onstage isnt everything
Well actually...

...They say that not everyone gets full marks that gets a nomination, but I was nominated, and everyone I spoke to, including the people that select the pieces, said that only full mark pieces get nominated for onstage.

Although I think if it's a group piece and for some reason one group member got, say, 29 instead of 30, that would be considered.

But Loza is right, despite how bitter she may sound. Onstage is pretty shit. It's unneccessarily competitive, politically swayed and tame. The REAL drama pieces are often overlooked because of content constraints.

Sede2113

HSC
I am doing an IP monologue and it's about a nun and she's very old-fashioned and beyond her time and she's trying to teach fundamentalism to a bunch of kids and they keep stirring her up. I'm worried now though that this won't really work because the character has to come to some sort of realisation or conclusion or 'go on a journey' (drama teacher's words). or i'm worried that this time of comedy won't impress the markers.

Can anybody give me some advice?

lyzzidc

HSC
i have to agree with all of those apart from the not doing a monolgue from Bomshells, a girl got into On Stage last year with a monologue from Bomshells

lyzzidc

HSC
asvice for Sede2113
go through your monolgue and write out the basic plot line, then go through the plot line and see if you can change it to 'go on a journey' or to have a realisation and conclusion. After the plot line has a basic structure, go back and write your monolgue

blondesdoitbeta

HSC
hmmmm i getting worried bout my IP performance- i've steered clear of any teenage issues cuz i do believe that they're over done!! Mine's about a over melodramatic girl and its a kind of "support group" set up i dont really want 2 delve into the theme etc (due to copiers yes i know how pedantic but i really like my idea) anyway its comical but the staging is chairs in a semi circle to create the "AA meeting atmosphere" and that limits movement quite alot..

any hints???

Cyberwaste

HSC
SuNrIsE_oVa_sEa said:
It's been sed soooo many times yet people choose to ignore it....
I got all this from my drama teacher, and I agree, I.P performance should not have an obvious meaning. You as an audience member would have to do more than scratch the surface to find what it all revolves around...

But here's another thing, find monologues where you can draw experience from and add it to your character because you know that aspect, because you've been there...

That's my thoughts anyway.

stine03

HSC
blondesdoitbeta said:
hmmmm i getting worried bout my IP performance- i've steered clear of any teenage issues cuz i do believe that they're over done!! Mine's about a over melodramatic girl and its a kind of "support group" set up i dont really want 2 delve into the theme etc (due to copiers yes i know how pedantic but i really like my idea) anyway its comical but the staging is chairs in a semi circle to create the "AA meeting atmosphere" and that limits movement quite alot..

any hints???
my drama teacher actually informed me to stay clear of talking to things on stage, if your talking to the chairs etc. as it does get tiresome for the markers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)