Drama Half-yearlies - BEWARE!! (1 Viewer)

Downfall

HSC
Just finished my half-yearly Drama exam and studied for the complete wrong question that we were told to prepare for, and got no details on staging at all from our teacher. We got a question on staging, and I sat there for a while just staring at the quesiton wondering how I will change "The seeds of tragedy are in the protagonist" to "Heroes suffer the fate they deserve; Compare the staging of both texts, Death of a Salesman and Oedipus Rex".

FML?

Anyone who hasn't done their Drama half yearlies yet - prepare more for staging techniques as well because I prepared an essay beforehand all about theatrical techniques and pretty much everything that this question wasnt.

Just beware is all im sayin'.

EDIT: It would be cool if this could be moved to exam thoughts - I didn't see it amongst the massive mountain of forums :p

Last edited:

Glamophonic

HSC
DRAMA HALF YEARLIES = TRAGIC!!! (No, realy. It was about tragedy and WAS a TOTAALLL tragedy... =_=")

kawaiinlove

HSC
That's why you don't prepare essays - you prepare notes. But I understand what you mean when teachers expect you to know something but never mention it.
I'm not really sure what to think of mine, the question was something like "Ruby Moon and Stolen reflect Australian society, explain and provide techniques that explore the way in which these plays show how people deal with change."
I answered the question, I know I did, I provided dramatic techniques and examined how they reflected change etc. but it was the first Drama essay I'd ever written under exam conditions and to top it off, I'd just had two English exams prior and no doubt that reflected in my writing -_- they hate when you get English essays mixed up with Drama ones.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
prepare more for staging techniques as well because I prepared an essay beforehand all about theatrical techniques
Staging techniques are theatrical techniques. Do you mean dramatic techniques, as in, textual based analysis?

Downfall

HSC
Staging techniques are theatrical techniques. Do you mean dramatic techniques, as in, textual based analysis?
Yeah I typed that at school pretty quickly :p It was based on textual techniques in the writing such as dramatic irony. We researched techniques like that and instead got presented with "How would you stage this?" so it wasn't the best exam question in the world.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
In the exam, you're pretty much obligated to talk about staging techques. So I guess its good prep for you, even if it wasn't expected.

yo gabba

HSC
Ours was on the conventions nd conveying something or other about th removalists and th chapel perilous ... i STUDIED my arse off , but thinking i still have failed!
FML

Brady_Girl

HSC
The same thing happened to me. Our teacher made us study australian theatre we didnt even touch our plays ruby moon or stolen we did some workshopping of them but no proper anaylsis. I was lucky enough to have had notes from aprevious drama student which i used for study and wrote a practice essay on an old hsc essay whish ended up to be the question for half the yearlys. However i know many others in my class left completley guttered and devastated having studied for the entireley wrong thing. thanks to the teacher.

HSC
but the whole thing that makes drama exams...drama exams is that you have to talk about them staged. you could be as academic and insightful as you wanted and get a bad mark because you always have to talk about theatric conventions. our teacher has raked this through our brains soo many times! we have lessons where we just make up "in class workshops" that give us examples of staging and characteristation to reference for the plays we haven't been able to see.

KatShaw

HSC
N/A
Your in class workshops ARE your learning for the text - some classes don't even READ the text together... It is presumed that you will discuss the text as a performance, not as something to be analysed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)