Onstage 2014: Best of 2013 HSC (1 Viewer)

shayz14

HSC
N/A
To those who are going, or have already gone, to OnSTAGE this year. Which program did you see? Which performances did you like?

Aliy Moon

HSC
I saw both programs -Writers and OnStage
My favourite was Her Apocalypse in the Writers program and Doing it for the Penguins, I loved the concepts and imagination of these two the most and am genuinely amazed at their overall performances

ofallthestars42

HSC
We saw program 2 and loved the New York crime one and thought the one with the witches was funny but a little confusing. We also thought the funeral home one was witty, but all of the GPs aside from said New York detective group left us a little short.
I personally wasn't too into any of the monologues except Doing it For the Penguins. Oddly enough my IP monologue is written my the same guy (Shit shit the pressure)

But the actual event terrified me. Our little hillbilly country public school group stuck out like mad, but it was worth it

Last edited:

kiyene

HSC
We saw both programs. In terms of script I was majorly disappointed in both. The first script, (Neverland, I think?) had a decent concept but a sloppy execution; the dialogue was mostly trite and the intertextuality seemed rather ham-handed. The second script, Her Apocalypse Ft. Zombies was very engaging and I really enjoyed it. However, upon reflection, the concept was really quite weak and contrived and was inconsistently conveyed throughout the piece, giving way for abundant lesbian jokes.

As for the second program our teacher was gushing about the Caucasian Chalk Circle monologue, but most of our class agreed that, despite incredible focus, that she reached the climax too soon which caused her to plateau far too early. Doing it for the Penguins was really quite impressive and I enjoyed it immensely. There were parts where the exposition felt vaguely forced, but that's a fault of the writer's more than anything. The monologue from the King's School with the priest was very powerful and displayed his acting ability but conceptually was dull.

Generally they were all quite good but, as it is with all works, each fell down a little bit in a certain area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)