Hsc drama ip monologue; indecisive (1 Viewer)

zanny131

HSC
Hey all :)

I have to begin preparing my monologue for drama but I am continuously torn between performing an adaption of act 1 from Les Miserables (As Jean Valjean), Performing an adaption of Sweeney Todd (As Sweeney) or performing a Samuel Beckett piece.

I am most confident with doing Sweeney Todd, however this had already been done last year and made Offstage (onstage runner up). Is it too soon to perform the same monologue?

My adaption of Les Mis was quite tough to write. Re-writing Javert's dialogue into a Valjeans words seems to attack the rhythm and flow of the piece (as it is originally sung; Although some parts are still sung, the monologue is mostly spoken)

And Samuel Beckett's A piece of monologue does not have enough physicalisation and worries me that it may be lacking as a result.

My frustration between the three is very hindering, and with my teacher not helping at all, refusing to read and suggest anything other than her own chosen pieces, I am left without the expected support in this worsening final year. Which is why I have turned to the lovely people on this forum to help me

What I am asking is, In your opinion- which piece would be most appropriate based off the description i have given? :smile:

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Hey all :)

I have to begin preparing my monologue for drama but I am continuously torn between performing an adaption of act 1 from Les Miserables (As Jean Valjean), Performing an adaption of Sweeney Todd (As Sweeney) or performing a Samuel Beckett piece.

I am most confident with doing Sweeney Todd, however this had already been done last year and made Offstage (onstage runner up). Is it too soon to perform the same monologue?

My adaption of Les Mis was quite tough to write. Re-writing Javert's dialogue into a Valjeans words seems to attack the rhythm and flow of the piece (as it is originally sung; Although some parts are still sung, the monologue is mostly spoken)

And Samuel Beckett's A piece of monologue does not have enough physicalisation and worries me that it may be lacking as a result.

My frustration between the three is very hindering, and with my teacher not helping at all, refusing to read and suggest anything other than her own chosen pieces, I am left without the expected support in this worsening final year. Which is why I have turned to the lovely people on this forum to help me

What I am asking is, In your opinion- which piece would be most appropriate based off the description i have given? :smile:
Hmm, given the limited time frame you unfortunately have, I'd say go with Sweeney Todd, especially considering it's the one you are most confident with. People reuse monologues all the time and my drama teacher estimates that sizeable portions of the state end up doing the same monologues. And even in the unlikely event that your examiner knew about that particular IP, it's still fine since they are marking you for your performance skills, not how unique your piece is (though GPs are different ball park apparently)

That said, all three of your ideas sound very solid, but I guess since it's already term 3 you have to consider a lot of other factors as well; the main one being time.

Good luck with it :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The Beckett is by far the best piece, but it's also the hardest to perform. All things equal, that's the one to go with, but given the circumstances, the Sweeney Todd is the safer option.

I'd skip the Les Mis altogether.

zanny131

HSC
Thank you for the response!

I'm really excited to do Sweeney Todd, but my teacher is yet to agree it is the best decision -.-

zanny131

HSC
i would agree with the Beckett, however to reduce a 16-18 minute piece to 8 minutes would butcher the piece altogether so I am going with Sweeney! Thanks for the comment!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)