ACU or Notre Dame? (1 Viewer)

tcurtis7

HSC
Hey guys,

Basically I've been offered (and accepted) positions for both ACU and Notre Dame for 2013 doing a Bachelor of Commerce at both but I am unsure as to which to attend.

It's equal travel time to both for me and so far the only big difference is being that Notre Dame will be cheaper and that ND was an ATAR of 70 and ACU was an ATAR of 59 to get in.

Any one kind enough to share some experiences or reconmend one or the other for any particular reasons?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Notre Dame for sure, I would say ACU if it was B Teaching because its easier to get into catholic schools apparently.

enoilgam

HSC
Hey guys,

Basically I've been offered (and accepted) positions for both ACU and Notre Dame for 2013 doing a Bachelor of Commerce at both but I am unsure as to which to attend.

It's equal travel time to both for me and so far the only big difference is being that Notre Dame will be cheaper and that ND was an ATAR of 70 and ACU was an ATAR of 59 to get in.

Any one kind enough to share some experiences or reconmend one or the other for any particular reasons?
I would encourage you to check out both unis and see which one suits you best - sometimes it comes down to personal feel with uni. I do Law/Commerce at Notre Dame and I think that it is definitely of a high standard. A lot of people bag the uni because it lacks "prestige", but in my experience this is just elitist talk. The people are great and from what I have seen, the teaching standards are definitely on the level of other unis with greater "prestige".

tcurtis7

HSC
Cheers guys, turns out I'm gonna go to Notre Dame so hopefully all turns out well.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Notre Dame for sure, I would say ACU if it was B Teaching because its easier to get into catholic schools apparently.
isn't Notre Dame a catholic uni?

Also, I now understand why people with ATARs of 99+ put ACU teaching as their top preference for the late round so dumb people don't get in and ruin the next generation of students.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Money, fame, prestige; phrases which are collectively recognized by the legal system.
(1:25) - the law doesn't (does not) have it wrong. Prestige is life. Life is prestige.

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
The fact that you know someone that goes there doesnt mean change the facts.
What's the facts? Your opinionated speculation?

If you're willing to do well in university, have good extra-curriculars, that will override any "prestige" which seemingly differentiates the universities.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
What are you basing your views off ^? (flashy)

enoilgam

HSC
Neither. Pick a proper uni.
The fact that you know someone that goes there doesnt mean change the facts.
I'm not going to comment on the impact of prestige on employability, but but based on my experience, the quality of Notre Dame is great. Of course that is subjective, but dont forget, many degrees require certification from industry bodies (i.e. Law, most Commerce majors, teaching etc). So the quality of education has to at a high enough standard to meet the requirements for certification. It's pretty foolish to think that just because you go to a "prestige" uni, you are getting a better quality of education.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not going to comment on the impact of prestige on employability, but but based on my experience, the quality of Notre Dame is great. Of course that is subjective, but dont forget, many degrees require certification from industry bodies (i.e. Law, most Commerce majors, teaching etc). So the quality of education has to at a high enough standard to meet the requirements for certification.
This. You don't graduate from UWS or Notre Dame with a 'lesser law degree' where those at UNSW get the 'complete law degree'.

You can't have a "shit" uni that teaches med/law/commerce etc...

Also, most of it is up to the student. It's just like someone at a rank 250 school getting a 99 ATAR. He has to work hard to get there, but he's attained the same as a person from James Ruse with a 99 ATAR - where the individual from James Ruse got 99 with arguably less effort and a more supportive/competitive environment where it was easier to get that.

Same thing goes with university, if you're going to be an idiot at UNSW, you're no better off than an idiot at UWS. You need extracurriculars and ways to differentiate yourself from the candidature.

enoilgam

HSC
Same thing goes with university, if you're going to be an idiot at UNSW, you're no better off than an idiot at UWS. You need extracurriculars and ways to differentiate yourself from the candidature.
I just want to reinterate, my previous post WAS NOT a comment on the impact of prestige on employability. I'm just talking about the actual quality of the uni in terms of teaching and stuff.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
What are you basing your views off ^? (flashy)
I'm not going to comment on the impact of prestige on employability, but but based on my experience, the quality of Notre Dame is great. Of course that is subjective, but dont forget, many degrees require certification from industry bodies (i.e. Law, most Commerce majors, teaching etc). So the quality of education has to at a high enough standard to meet the requirements for certification. It's pretty foolish to think that just because you go to a "prestige" uni, you are getting a better quality of education.
Well for a start, look at any global unversity rankings and tell me if you see either of these universities feature in a half respectable manner?

And I disagree with enoilgam that prestige means a uni is better. In fact its the opposite way around. Universities such as USyd and UNSW, for example, have gained their prestige from providing a better quality of education. And yes theres certification tests but they test for the MINIMUM allowable standard. Just because a Notre Dame student may pass this, does not mean they are as good as a student from any other uni. Im not saying a graduate from a good uni is automatically better than a notre dam graduate, but due to them probably coming from a smarter base (as the 'better' unis would have higher entry requirements, and yes i know ATAR isnt sole representation of intelligence) and being exposed to better resources and teaching, they would be a better candidate more times than not.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well for a start, look at any global unversity rankings and tell me if you see either of these universities feature in a half respectable manner?

And I disagree with enoilgam that prestige means a uni is better. In fact its the opposite way around. Universities such as USyd and UNSW, for example, have gained their prestige from providing a better quality of education. And yes theres certification tests but they test for the MINIMUM allowable standard. Just because a Notre Dame student may pass this, does not mean they are as good as a student from any other uni. Im not saying a graduate from a good uni is automatically better than a notre dam graduate, but due to them probably coming from a smarter base (as the 'better' unis would have higher entry requirements, and yes i know ATAR isnt sole representation of intelligence) and being exposed to better resources and teaching, they would be a better candidate more times than not.
University rankings are a measure of research.

Prestige was not developed because of quality of teaching but rather the fact they've been around for a long time so they've been able to develop that reputation in research circles and within the student community. They are seen as safe bets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)