Changing my major (1 Viewer)

rokkuguhyo

HSC
I know there's been similar threads on this, but I have my own specific questions.

I'm so confused; I'm doing my first semester of arts with a major in psychology, and I want to change my major to primary teaching, but I don't know whether to apply to transfer for the spring semester or next autumn semester.

If I apply to change my major for next semester, will I have to overload since I didn't complete the education units for the autumn session?

And if I apply to change my major for the next autumn session, will I have to retake first year core arts units?

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Provided you pass your first year core art units, you will not need to retake them as they are common to both the Arts and Arts (Pathways to Teaching) degrees. When you transfer, you should apply for advanced standing in these.

In the Pathways to Teaching, the education major is in addition to an arts major. You'll still be able to major in Psychology (8 unit unaccreditted major as opposed to the 12 unit major + submajor accreditted stream) and apply for advanced standing in the psych subjects that you have passed or choose a different major.

Not sure for as to whether you transfer internally or through UAC, perhaps visit student central for this one? I'd look it up but my net is slow and the UWS site isn't loading sorry :(

Hope that helps a little :)

rokkuguhyo

HSC
Thanks, your answer helped me a lot. :)

So I should just continue on with BA Psych until the end of the year, and then transfer next year?

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
You could try transferring mid year, that way you can do an education major subject next semester.

Even if you don't transfer midyear, you can always do an education major subject as an elective, that's what one of my mates did before she transferred across.

Best to speak to student central to double check everything of course, the BA has gone through a lot of restructuring so a lot of info I have is outdated now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)