How Do You Find Multimedia ? (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
hey ii know the industrial tech. boards aren't very popular but if anybody is willing to help or reply, could you please tell me how people are finding multimedia ? like if its easy ? pros & cons ? what skills are actually needed ? and what do you do in the subject ? ii really wana do this subject and if ii really wana do it ive got to fight for it kos its not supposed to be running at our school but ii could so like yeah .. PLEASE HELP !!

n@ttyb

HSC
for me and my whole class is was boring, shit and worthless, we had shit teachers who had no clue wot they were doing.

Besides that... i wasnt really interested in computers and stuff so i dont no y i chose it lol.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
lol ermmms okaaay .. well ii totally love computers !! .. ii saw a major project and ii totally loved it !! .. ii wanted to make one fo my own !! ><" but is the whole course like that ? ii dont think it is .. so like yeahh .. more opinions !! ><"

n@ttyb

HSC
lol i dont think any1 else is gonna contribute... basically year 12 is all on the major project... year 11 we did shit all.

I did a proj on Nrl in flash...pretty basic but was the best one there.
If u like computers then go for it

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
n@ttyb said:
lol i dont think any1 else is gonna contribute... basically year 12 is all on the major project... year 11 we did shit all.

I did a proj on Nrl in flash...pretty basic but was the best one there.
If u like computers then go for it
yeah ii realised that .. ahah .. but its still worth a shot .. ^^

hmm .. is there an aim for the major ? .. like anything you have to follow ?

& ii toally love computers !! ..

but also .. ii heard that some reports or something are worth like ALOT .. reports on what ? and are they really that hard ? is the subject in a whole quite easy ?

HSC
I do industrail tech graphics but the multimedia is in our class as well and are both run by the same teacher as their are only 2 students.

So far you dont really need to mcuh knowledge just a love for pc's and technology I guess. You create a major work which is 50 % of your hsc mark and is not to bad as you do it for all of year 12 and its your choice what you want to do. So far for year 11 the multimedia students have done a website, powerpoint and a flash movie. Then you learn about industrail techonology which is really easy and simple. You will work alot by yourself so if you like that then go for it. I think it is a great subject and easy to do well in and wouldnt have minded choosing it myself had i not wanted to be an architect.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
agentcheeseball said:
I do industrail tech graphics but the multimedia is in our class as well and are both run by the same teacher as their are only 2 students.

So far you dont really need to mcuh knowledge just a love for pc's and technology I guess. You create a major work which is 50 % of your hsc mark and is not to bad as you do it for all of year 12 and its your choice what you want to do. So far for year 11 the multimedia students have done a website, powerpoint and a flash movie. Then you learn about industrail techonology which is really easy and simple. You will work alot by yourself so if you like that then go for it. I think it is a great subject and easy to do well in and wouldnt have minded choosing it myself had i not wanted to be an architect.
omgg .. wow .. you sure hell make me want to pick the subject !! II LOVE COMPS !! and ii feel as if im so gona love yrs 11 & 12 from what you say !! xD but what is actually industrial technology ? ahaha .. stupid of me to ask but im not really sure .. ^^" but you make it sound simple enough .. =] & II LOVE WORKING BY MYSELF ! ii love it with a passion !! =D & thanks for that ..

btw because there are 2 students doing multi. in your class .. is it a disadvantage to them because they are mixed with graphics ? because ii wana get the course running but im not sure what ii can do with only 1 student who wants to do multi. ><"

THANKS LOADS AGENTCHEESEBALL !! =]

HSC
Well I think it would be a great subject to do. Dont worry its not a stupid question I myself had no idea until we actually started learning about it. What it basicly is is learning about any industry and stuff like OH& S and crap. Most of it is common sense and the test is really simple i got 88% without much study. 60% of the test is on the industry crap which you do against everyone who does industrail technology then your other section which is worth 40% is totally on multimedia. The industry study stuff is really easy a bit boring but you basicly learn it in year 11 for like 1 period a week then the rest would be on multimedia.

I wouldnt say it is a disadvantage at all. There is only 6 people doing graphics and 2 doing mulitmedia then alot of the graphics will drop so there will be only 2 or 3 of us next year. I see it as a advantage as the teacher has more one on one time with you to help you soley with your project and studying or anything you dont understand. If you have a love for pc's you can do very well in it I am certian. As long as you can stay focused and not bum around.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
agentcheeseball said:
Well I think it would be a great subject to do. Dont worry its not a stupid question I myself had no idea until we actually started learning about it. What it basicly is is learning about any industry and stuff like OH& S and crap. Most of it is common sense and the test is really simple i got 88% without much study. 60% of the test is on the industry crap which you do against everyone who does industrail technology then your other section which is worth 40% is totally on multimedia. The industry study stuff is really easy a bit boring but you basicly learn it in year 11 for like 1 period a week then the rest would be on multimedia.

I wouldnt say it is a disadvantage at all. There is only 6 people doing graphics and 2 doing mulitmedia then alot of the graphics will drop so there will be only 2 or 3 of us next year. I see it as a advantage as the teacher has more one on one time with you to help you soley with your project and studying or anything you dont understand. If you have a love for pc's you can do very well in it I am certian. As long as you can stay focused and not bum around.
LOLS .. ahah .. oh okaaay .. well the ind. tech. stuff dont sound so fun .. but easy enough in a way .. LOL .. but im like looking at your ext. 1 eng. physics & ancient .. & im like ahahah .. = =" .. you must be smart ! LOL .. well yeahh ..

& so the ind. tech stuff will be taught throughout all the ind. tech subjects ? .. is that how it works ? hmmm .. if so .. thats kool !! .. ahah .. ill see if ii could try join the classes together .. =] & im sure this is a really good subject for me ..

thanks again !1 ^^

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Its really a shame. I loved ITMM, but I find a LOT of the teachers lately dont really knwo anything abotu the subject theyre teaching. I did really well in ITM (top 0.07% of the state for ITM in the HSC)....

I am really worried about todays students who do ITMM, because there really is a lot that you can learn and do, but teachers just dotn seem to teahc it. Its not boring at all its very interesting, again its what you put into it. I was fortunate enough to have a great teacher, but if your teachers crap then you have to be prepared to take your learning outside the classroom. Even with a good teacher I still did this and it paid off :) I was soooo extatic with my ITMM I couldnt believe it.

Dont take the subject lightly. Its LOTS of hard work, especially around major project time. I would reccommend it, but only if your prepared to put the effort in.
PM me if you want to know more.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
flipsyde said:
Its really a shame. I loved ITMM, but I find a LOT of the teachers lately dont really knwo anything abotu the subject theyre teaching. I did really well in ITM (top 0.07% of the state for ITM in the HSC)....

I am really worried about todays students who do ITMM, because there really is a lot that you can learn and do, but teachers just dotn seem to teahc it. Its not boring at all its very interesting, again its what you put into it. I was fortunate enough to have a great teacher, but if your teachers crap then you have to be prepared to take your learning outside the classroom. Even with a good teacher I still did this and it paid off :) I was soooo extatic with my ITMM I couldnt believe it.

Dont take the subject lightly. Its LOTS of hard work, especially around major project time. I would reccommend it, but only if your prepared to put the effort in.
PM me if you want to know more.
pm*ed .. ^^

hmmm .. ii think ii would probably put in the effot in a subject like this .. its something ii think ii would enjoy so therefore making it alot easier .. hmm yeahh .. could somebody tell me bou the pros & cons ? .. just yeahh .. id like to hear many other opinions too .. =]

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
Pros - easy marks. Get to play games regularly.
Cons - bad teachers. Boring theory.

The only reason I do half-decent is because the day before the exam I go through basic OH&S legislation, ergonomics, and other such lame and (sorry flipsyde) boring stuff, as opposed to the rest of my classmates who decide to teach themselves stuff just before the exam, but most don't bother to even do that.

HSC
Trust me you dont need to be that smart to do well in the subject at all. If you have an interest in the subject and are willing to work you should do ok. But the teachers is an issue my teacher is great and knows quite a bit about both of the industrail tech classes. He even takes courses to brush up on his skills needed for multimedia.

n@ttyb

HSC
flipsyde said:
Its really a shame. I loved ITMM, but I find a LOT of the teachers lately dont really knwo anything abotu the subject theyre teaching.
Thats exacly my thought. One after the other they were fired, none knew what to do. Eventually for the last few weeks we were given a metal work teacher, so it was up to us to do our major proj- thats the only thing we ( or should i say I) did for the whole course ( yr 11 + 12).

yoda109

High Monk
HSC
I like Multimedia. It's good fun.

We don't learn a lot from the teacher but he's good at providing us with resources to learn from, if that makes sense. I'm not surprised that other people have found their teachers to be incompetent, I've had shit IT/computing teachers before.

The Multimedia aspect of the course should be simple for anyone able to use these forums. It's quite similar to the things you learn in the Multimedia option topic of IPT.

If you're interested in a career in the industry, the major project can be an excellent addition to a portfolio.
It is actually pretty career orientated, like other category B courses. You do things like an Industry Study, where you're supposed to research a business that does the sort of work that your option topic covers. It's useful as a way of gauging whether you'd want to work in the area.

It's worth noting that the focus is very much on industry, and that does cover a lot of dry, relatively boring crap. If you do business studies or economics, you're already ahead. (I don't do either, but others in my class do).

The HSC exam is 60% Industry and 40% option Topic. The exam itself is 40% of the HSC mark; 60% being your major project.

The project will be due (probably, YMMV) just before your trial exams. Ours were due a few weeks before HSC marking so that we could finish them and focus on studying for other subjects. This does allow you to stress a little less, having finished the bulk of the work for a subject gives you more time for the others.

The major project was the most fun, naturally. It's worth noting at the start that as far as marks go, it's a roughly even split on documentation (your record of how you built the project) and practical (the actual project). Even though lots of people seem to spend 90% of their time on the practical aspect, almost half the marks come from your documentation.

It is an easy subject as long as you can learn the basic theory and think on your feet in an exam and be able to bullshit reasonable responses (particularly in the industry section). Judging by the recent exams, 35% to 40% of the exam will be questions requiring about 1 page as an answer. This counts as a long response in IT, although it's nothing compared to other subjects.

You only have to look at the syllabus (compared to say... Physics) to understand that it's not a particularly well organised or structured course, one of the Board's least favourite children.

Finally, it scales shit. The top of the state got a scaling contribution of 39.7/50 in 2004 and 42.7 in 2005, if memory serves me right. It's moving in the right direction, at least. Personally I think Multimedia suffers in this respect from being grouped in with other options. (Just from my own experience, the top students in IT at school are all from the Multimedia option and not Timber and Furniture)
Having said that, unless you need to get a UAI of 99, a scaling contribution of 40 would be fine. Of course, that's if you're at the top of the state. According to my friend SAM, a band 6 (90) in IT contributes 33/50 and an 80 contributes 23.

IT:Multimedia is a great subject if you're interested in it and don't mind how it scales. :jedi:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
okaaay !! .. ii will do this subject !! .. but can people tell me some ways that ii can do this subject when like .. nobody else has chosen it ? .. the thing with working with the graphics class ii will ask about and try persuade .. but if that does not work are there any other ways ii can do this subject ? .. II WANT THIS ! LOL .. ahah .. and ii will fight until ii get it ! =]

n@ttyb

HSC
agentcheeseball said:
You started your major project in year 11?
no i meant that we actually did nothing at all in year 11.... we could have started the major proj, if it wernt for lack of interest. ( played games).

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
Yes, we played games constantly too.

@ yoda109 : Business Studies def. helps. Some of the multimedia exam, I only knew about because I do business [and because I don't study multimedia], and others that do both subjects like me found this as well.

The syllabus, and the course in general, is really badly organised. Compared to all my other subjects, multimedia is the one where the scaling and syllabus are dodgy, to say the least. The combination of the bad teachers and incoherant syllabus turned me off multimedia, round about the start of this year, and now I frankly don't care anymore. It was a good subject until I realised how badly organised everything is.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
.. .. it scales that badd ?! .. omgg .. everybody has kept telling me that scaling doesnt matter .. but that is REALLY bad scalingg .. =/ aww mann .. no theres like that bad stuff bout multi ><" is it hard to get a band 6 in this subject ? ii mean it would help if scaling was pretty good because ii do want to get a UAI which is as high as ii can get .. =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)