What timber did you use for the major project? (1 Viewer)

ITimber

HSC
hello,

Just interested to know what timber people used or are going to use for there major project?

thanks

mannie06

HSC
heya...im making a games table its small but very tricky n difficult hopeing to get good marks lol.. im using dillania some malasian hardwood... some peices look so awsum sorta like tiger grain... wanted to use river red gum which would have looked specatacular...

Edalis

HSC
hey
i just finished my project which was a treasure chest made out of jarrah. it was a really good timber to use but hard to come by.

christop thommo

HSC
hey all, i made a grandfather clock. i used Australian cedar!
its really good to wotk with and is pretty economical. the only problem is its heaps soft and easy to bump.
it got marked today, :)

leigh90

HSC
I used Red Mahogany which i picked up from an auction in the form of weatherboards. I love the deep red colour which you can only get from really old mahogany trees (now red mahogany is generally pink).
The wood however was a pain i recieved over 70 splinters some were only like half a mm but they all add up! lol The wood is seriously hard and nails fully bent not due to human error either, they were pre-drilled...

Edalis

HSC
Jarrah was hard to come by because it is a south west aust wood where as i live on th east coast so that is y it was hard to come by for me

leesee

HSC
hey i built a 7'x3'6" pool table that converts into a dining table and i used jarrah and then jarrah and beech veneer for the dining top and i will agree that jarrah is a hard timber to get a hold of along the east coast i cleaned out like 3 different timber places of wat they had so yea, then i had to use jarrah and beech veneer aswell and i cleaned out like 5 different bunnings stores along the east coast and i had to oreder some more in from adelaide like 4 days before the actual project was due i was cutting it fine, but i finished on time so it was all good.

SweetSeasons

HSC
Edalis said:
Jarrah was hard to come by because it is a south west aust wood where as i live on th east coast so that is y it was hard to come by for me

u just go to a timber factory/joinery n get it.. it's easy to do.. unless u got all ur timber from bunnings or something... sorry but yeah

Edalis

HSC
jarrah is pretty rare where i live, only a couple ppl had it and not the sizes that i needed.

listo

HSC
N/A
Jarrah - whatever!
Now, I don't want to deal your local suppliers out of business BUT if you need any type of timber, a good place to start is Trend Timber in Windsor in north-west Sydney. No I don't have shares in the business but they have have helped me many times. They have helped heaps of woodwork students over the years. It's not a bad company to study for the prelim course industry study too.

joeyn22

HSC
listo said:
Jarrah - whatever!
Now, I don't want to deal your local suppliers out of business BUT if you need any type of timber, a good place to start is Trend Timber in Windsor in north-west Sydney. No I don't have shares in the business but they have have helped me many times. They have helped heaps of woodwork students over the years. It's not a bad company to study for the prelim course industry study too.
Rate that store 10/10

Celica76

HSC
I'm making an electric guitar and am using alder, flamed maple and rose wood,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)