UNSW or Macq (1 Viewer)

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
hi everyone, i've decided to study actuarial studies next year but i'am unsure whether to study it at macq or UNSW. I know Macq has a higher reputation in the industry but i like UNSW better (as a university). I've also heard some people say that it is somewhat easier to obtain credits+ from UNSW than from Macq, but is there any truth in that? Because isn't the course watched by outside institutions ( IAA i think).

could you guys help me out in making up my mind as to what uni to attend next year.

btw my 2005 UAI is 97.15, so i think i can make the cut-off for either course.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Go to both unis when you get a chance, have a walk and talk around at open days, see what you like, then try and make up your mind.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
well i've been to both unis and i tend to like UNSW better, but Macq is like 10mins from my house. I just cant make up my mind

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Both uni is great for Actuarial studies. If you prefer the UNSW campus, then come to UNSW. It was one of the reason I picked UNSW 2 years ago. :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Ditto. I spent one day at UNSW and changed my preferences. Being close to Macquarie is a big plus, but if the travel time for UNSW is not outrageous, and you like the UNSW campus better, then theres no reason why you can't make up your mind.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
hello2005 said:
10 mins from your house? Go to Mac.
yeh exactly...do not underestimate the convenience of proximity...

Also, Mq is the place to be for actuarial, however, if you just want to see what actuarial is like, then UNSW is the place to be, coz u can drop into BCom(Finance) or similar...

Last year i really loved the UNSW campus...but now i go to MQ i realise that MQ has more than u think...beyond the dreary buildings (the only real criticism of the campus) the lake and grass area is really reallly nice...and vast...its a fun place to be.

Affinity

HSC
Maq has weekly internet based (compulsory) homework

HSC
N/A
In regards to picking what Uni you want to go to, I'd take in the atmosphere as well. In Mac's defence, whilst our buildings may not be hugely flashy, we have a lovely food court and beautiful grounds. We also have our own carpark and the ability to make up our own timetables - on-campus times are generally low at MQ.

UNSW is a lot prettier. I've been there many times, and I'll freely say that it's pretty. But for a partially-claustrophobic person like myself, I find it a bit daunting. But hey - it's prettier.

Go with your gut instinct. If I ask you "which Uni do you want to go to?", what is the first name that pops into your head?

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i was in the same position last year contemplating to go unsw or macq

ended up choosing macq coz its like 5 mins away... and i dont regret it

serously if u live that close to mq and ur seroius about actuarial - macq is the place

even tho i have to admit i don't like our campus as much as their one... but its still good enuff =]

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Haha Harvard...

Anyways, Macq uni in a way is considered to be one of the best for Actuarial studies, perhaps in some lengths better than UNSW. However, once again location proximity is important; though in the end its up to you, travelling to unsw for most, may be troublesome, esp if you do not live near railway stations, but Travel10 cards make it slightly easier. :)

click here

to see my profile
HSC
Great advice from everybody. Just go with your gut instinct.

My brother graduated from Acturial studies at MAC this year. Overall, I think through observation, the subject is pretty hard and a lot of people drop out. I think that MAC has a better reputation than UNSW in terms of acturary and finance etc. I find the uni quite peaceful and quiet compared to UNSW even though the buildings are ugly. But thats just my opinion.

Anyways good luck on your choice!

CrashOveride

HSC
click here said:
Great advice from everybody. Just go with your gut instinct.

My brother graduated from Acturial studies at MAC this year. Overall, I think through observation, the subject is pretty hard and a lot of people drop out. I think that MAC has a better reputation than UNSW in terms of acturary and finance etc. I find the uni quite peaceful and quiet compared to UNSW even though the buildings are ugly. But thats just my opinion.

Anyways good luck on your choice!
Where did your brother secure graduate work ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)