Media degrees: Mac VS. UNSW (1 Viewer)

emperorofblues

HSC
I'm aware that Communication and Media degrees are better at UTS, but I was wondering which media degrees are better out of Macquarie or UNSW.

At UNSW, it's split into B Journalism & Communication, B Screen and Sound and B Media Production. All three are new degrees this year But im concerned with the amount of practical skills offered, as I'm not after a theory-based degree.

At Macquarie, I'm looking at B Creative Arts (international), B Media, B International Communication, B Arts in Media and Cultural Studies.

I'm pretty much looking for practical skills, plus, flexibility (I'm still not certain on whether to concentrate on Journalism or filmaking) and industry connections.

With less than 26 hours left, any help - any at all would be greatly appreciated.

X

xeuyrawp

emperorofblues said:
I'm not after a theory-based degree.
University is about theory. If you're interested in doing exclusively practical elements in media, don't go to a uni; go to a college.

If you're intent on 'going to uni', however, there's no reason to say why you also can't do practical courses eg at a college on the side.

That would be my piece of advice.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
emperorofblues said:
I'm aware that Communication and Media degrees are better at UTS, but I was wondering which media degrees are better out of Macquarie or UNSW.

At UNSW, it's split into B Journalism & Communication, B Screen and Sound and B Media Production. All three are new degrees this year But im concerned with the amount of practical skills offered, as I'm not after a theory-based degree.

At Macquarie, I'm looking at B Creative Arts (international), B Media, B International Communication, B Arts in Media and Cultural Studies.

I'm pretty much looking for practical skills, plus, flexibility (I'm still not certain on whether to concentrate on Journalism or filmaking) and industry connections.

With less than 26 hours left, any help - any at all would be greatly appreciated.
Depending on your expertise you may find the MQ degrees somewhat underwhelming in terms of practical skills taught in the respective units, but that doesn't mean you can't go above and beyond the material and get support from the tutors/lecturers as well.

If you're looking to get into Journalism, CSU then UTS is probably your best bet, as for film, go to AFTRS if you're looking for a purely practical experience.

PIFKIE

HSC

I'm in year 11 this year and am also interested in BA with a major in Media at Macquarie after the HSC, however as far as I know there is NO BMedia anymore at Macquarie. Or am I wrong?

You can only study a BA with a Major in Media at MQ.

steeez

HSC
i got into maq but for some reason didnt get into unsw even though i had 5 bonus points and missed out by only two. im hoping i get into unsw in second round, maq just sounds like a glorified arts degree..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
i got into maq but for some reason didnt get into unsw even though i had 5 bonus points and missed out by only two. im hoping i get into unsw in second round, maq just sounds like a glorified arts degree..
In the best universities in the world, you actually complete an arts degree as your undergrad

I'm in year 11 this year and am also interested in BA with a major in Media at Macquarie after the HSC, however as far as I know there is NO BMedia anymore at Macquarie. Or am I wrong?

You can only study a BA with a Major in Media at MQ.
Its essentially the same thing, just making it clear what it really is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)