best japanese dictionaries and locations (1 Viewer)

totallybord

HSC
hey,
what are the best dictionaries that contain like all the words and like in hiragana/kanji and good examples and usages and specifically saying that this verb can be used only this way and stuff like that?
and where to find that special dictionary?
thank you :D

X

xeuyrawp

You can't go past a Kodansha furigana dictionary. Furigana, just so you know, is writing the hiragana above the kanji, so you're not going to get lost in too much kanji. I believe they're a very popular brand for English speakers learning Japanese.

The downside is 1. expense, I think mine was $90, although I could be wrong. 2. size, it's more than a kilo and is about 15x20 cm, so might weigh down your bag. 3. It's both Japanese-English and English-Japanese. Definitely useful, though, just leave it at home until you have exams.

I used a Random House dictionary (smaller, lighter, cheaper) to bring to class, and the Furigana in exams.

Last edited by a moderator:

nandayo

ismist
HSC
What's this about someone saying dictionaries can't be used in Japanese HSC exams from 2007 onward?

P

pLuvia

totallybord said:
hey,
what are the best dictionaries that contain like all the words and like in hiragana/kanji and good examples and usages and specifically saying that this verb can be used only this way and stuff like that?
and where to find that special dictionary?
thank you :D
Best one would be Kodansha's fuirgana (as Pwar mentioned) it is BOS approved so you can use it in exams.

nandayo said:
What's this about someone saying dictionaries can't be used in Japanese HSC exams from 2007 onward?
Apparantly this is the new syllabus put in place

wenruoshi

HSC
really??? are you serious?
i was gonna ask if we can bring more than one dictionary((it's a silly question anyway...))
cuz i only have English to Japanese dictionary now....
need to get another one....Japanese to English

totallybord

HSC
so where to get kodansha at best price?
oh and is there a list of bos approved dictionaries?
thanks

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Abbeys in the city.

$89.95 with a 10% Student Discount (Just show school ID or bus pass)

P

pLuvia

totallybord said:
so where to get kodansha at best price?
oh and is there a list of bos approved dictionaries?
thanks
You could ask your teacher to order it in bulk, or just a single which is like $90 or $80 forgot which price

yupgisonyun

HSC
i'm pretty sure dictionaries are disallowed from 2007 HSC onwards... so I don't think there is a need for one... the vocabs you come across will be the ones in the syllabus and anything else you don't know they should tell you the definition... it might not be wise to rely on dictionaries...

kkewi90

MUAHAHHAHAA~~
HSC
does that means we cant use our dictionaries for our hsc!??! i thought we could use it T_T" our school ordered the kondansha one for us and we got them for $70

totallybord

HSC
does anyone no the best library for japanese textbooks/ resources?
bankstown has isshoni 1-3 kits...
anyone no where to get the mirai and other books besides wakkatta and excel?
thanksssss

HSC
My teacher told me they were scrapping the old syllabus from the end of 2007, so this year is the last year of the old syllabus. I think that maybe the use of dictonaries in the HSC ends at the end of 2007 and begins in 2008.

Akeru

Rain maker
HSC
bishoujosamurai said:
My teacher told me they were scrapping the old syllabus from the end of 2007, so this year is the last year of the old syllabus. I think that maybe the use of dictonaries in the HSC ends at the end of 2007 and begins in 2008.
Yeah, i think so too.
My sensei didnt say anything along the lines of "you're not allowed to use ur dictionary in the exam", so that means i can.

super-shinobi

HSC
Akeru said:
Yeah, i think so too.
My sensei didnt say anything along the lines of "you're not allowed to use ur dictionary in the exam", so that means i can.
Noo, are you quite certain? That means I cant use a dictionary in my Jap HSC exams?? X_x I bought a Kodansha Furigana Dictionary recently ><"

MangoAvocado

HSC
totallybord said:
does anyone no the best library for japanese textbooks/ resources?
bankstown has isshoni 1-3 kits...
anyone no where to get the mirai and other books besides wakkatta and excel?
thanksssss
I'm not quite sure where else to get textbooks but Sydney Uni's Curriculum Library (bottom level of Fisher Library) has Mirai, Wakatta and Hai books amongst other useful textbooks such as Koukou seikatsu. Pay the $50 registration fee for non Sydney Uni students to get a year's access, or find someone who goes to Usyd and make them borrow it for you.

Check out the catalogue to see if they're available first. http://opac.library.usyd.edu.au/

You'll have to see if you're lucky though, since us education students tend to hog the textbooks for making lesson plans and exams come assessment season :)

P

pLuvia

You won't even have time to use the dictionary in the ext speaking because you are so pushed for time, you can't even waste one second lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)