CQ University (Central Queensland University) (1 Viewer)

7friday

HSC
Is anyone planning to go to this uni? Or a campus in Sydney/Melbourne for this university?

I'm hoping to get into the Medical Songraphy course here, but I don't know anything about the Sydney Campus (the one I'm aiming for)

Does anyone know anyone who's studying at the uni? What's the campus like, is the library nice? Lecturers? Any nice societies or clubs to join?

apshah

HSC
Finally someone that knows about this course (and uni)!

It seems that there is no information about the campus anywhere, apart from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHNV3aIlBn4

Its looks like decent campus conveniently located in the city, and given that they are the only uni that offers the linked degree, I've listed the sonography course as a 3rd preference. Also apparently the course only started last year and they have a full floor recently made only for sonography @ Sydney (which means relatively new equipment etc.)!

GL in getting in, and if you do find any other info let me know :)

miss giggles

HSC
I'm really interested in doing sonography there as well, however I'm really worried about how successful I will be after I graduate in finding work because so far no one in Sydney has graduated from this sonography course yet as it was only introduced last year, so we currently we have no info on the success rate of this course. Also I was wondering if any of you know if the professional development year we must complete in order to become an accredited sonographer is included in the 4 year program

7friday

HSC
oh thank goodness i'm not the only person who wants to do the course xD

i think the accreditation is included in the course, i can't imagine that it wouldn't be.. but I would have to check up on that.

I think that it wouldn't be too difficult to get employed, apparently there are not enough sonographers around, and that was part of the reason that they started course at the university.

miss giggles

HSC
I actually spoke to someone who is currently doing this course at the Sydney campuses of cqu, she was in the same school as I was last year. She told me does love the course and really enjoys it and also she said the 4th year is actually postgraduate and you actually do paid work during 4 th year and attend uni only a bit , however I'm not sure of this as it sounds too good to be true. However the only thing is, is that most of the lectures are online as the lecturer is actually located overseas in QLD.

7friday

HSC
most of the lectures are online..?? Hmm that kind of sucks.
Does that mean that the sonography students aren't on campus for most of the week? and can watch the lectures from home?
I think there would be a lot of clinical practice, I read somewhere that it was something like 64 weeks?! But being paid during fourth year!? that sounds insanely awesome but yeah a little bit far fetched. The fourth year is definitely a post-grad though.
By the way, I called the uni earlier (because they don't send out any info like all the other main universities in Sydney) and the ATAR cut off has gone up to about 84, and they are taking 50 students this year instead of 30 =)

miss giggles

HSC
Wow it's awsome that they are taking 50 people this year and not 30, better chance of us actually getting in.
BTW, let me know if you get into the course as UAC preferences come out today and I'll let you know if I get in, it'll be awsum if we both get into it

7friday

HSC
I didn't get in, did you? the atar was way higher than expected.. =O
What are you planning on doing instead?

(sorry i replied really late ><)

miss giggles

HSC
I practically just got in thankfully but likewise when I was do shocked when I saw the star cutoff.
I was really hoping you made it as I then I would have semi-known someone lol. Anyways I wish u the best for future in any career you choose to pursue and remember there are always alternative pathways into getting into what you want, speak to the uni and see if maybe you can do maybe a year of health science and then probably transfer into sonography :D

apshah

HSC
Bit late but I just got in as well, I think I was the cut-off person (93.85!!)

So there is someone you "semi-know" after all :)
Unlucky 7friday

miss giggles

HSC
Hi apshah congrats on making it did u enrol in the classes yet and if you did are you having problems viewing your schedule as :)

apshah

HSC
Yes I have there was no problem in actually enrolling in Term 1 2013 classes (there are instructions etc)

The unofficial timetables are not out until 4 weeks before 25th Feb and the official ones will be out 2 weeks before. Until then if you go onto the moodle site there is a welcome pack and lots of information which is helpful.
Good luck and see you soon :)

miss giggles

HSC
The unofficial timetables are not out until 4 weeks before 25th Feb and the official ones will be out 2 weeks before.
Oh ok that actually explains why I couldn't access a timetable.
Good luck to you as well, I'm really looking forward to beginning the course and meeting everyone. :)

7friday

HSC
woah congrats!!!
I got into radiography at newcastle so I'm still happy =]

7friday

HSC
woah congrats!!!
I got into radiography at newcastle so I'm still happy =]

mydearfriend

HSC
Wow!!!! Congrats I'm so happy for you!!!
Hi, I've just been reading this thread and also got into sonography at CQ uni in Sydney. I've just been researching the university and found it is more directed towards international students and others have called it a "cash cow" university by trying to rake in full paying international students. I really want to do sonography, but not sure if I should do it undergrad at this uni or postgraduate later on at another university. I know that the course is fully accredited by the ASAR, but the reviews on the uni still worry me a bit. A problem with a post grad degree is that it is hard to find a hospital that will sponsor you to do your training hours (I'm from Adelaide where the city is quite small, and still deciding whether Sydney is worth the move!) Do you know whether CQ uni will find places to do our training hours or would we still have to organise it ourselves like with a post grad degree? I've emailed the uni already, but had no reply.

Any information would be much appreciated :) :) and congrats to you all for getting into your courses!

miss giggles

HSC
Hi, I've just been reading this thread and also got into sonography at CQ uni in Sydney. I've just been researching the university and found it is more directed towards international students and others have called it a "cash cow" university by trying to rake in full paying international students. I really want to do sonography, but not sure if I should do it undergrad at this uni or postgraduate later on at another university. I know that the course is fully accredited by the ASAR, but the reviews on the uni still worry me a bit. A problem with a post grad degree is that it is hard to find a hospital that will sponsor you to do your training hours (I'm from Adelaide where the city is quite small, and still deciding whether Sydney is worth the move!) Do you know whether CQ uni will find places to do our training hours or would we still have to organise it ourselves like with a post grad degree? I've emailed the uni already, but had no reply.

Any information would be much appreciated :) :) and congrats to you all for getting into your courses!
Hey, congrats for getting in!!! It is true what you're saying, in that CQU Sydney has around half it's students studying there as international students. However the the reason for that I think is because its much easier to get into CQU sydney compared to the more "prestigious" universities in NSW. However saying that I really believe do believe that the sonography course there is good, I mean I've researched alot and also asked other sonographers about it and they thought it was s really good program especially due to the current demand for sonographers in Australia. However in regards to if the uni helps find u the training hours during postgrad year I have honestly no idea. But I know they give a lot of clinical placements and they try their best to do them near where you reside.
Sorry I couldn't answer ur question properly but if you do find out please let me know

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)