Residential Colleges in Uni of Queensland (1 Viewer)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
hi guys
i was just wondering if anyone could tell me about the women's colleges and the both-sex residential colleges in University of Queensland
i'm trying to decide between st. johns. international house, union college and emmanuel and duchesne, but i'd appreciate info and what your thoughts are on the other collges
thanks alot :)

blackbunny

HSC
Im not sure about women colleges but about others I would prefer st. johns. International house should have a lot of asian people. Union is not bad but to me johns looks more comfortable and more pretty. Emmanuel is also good but for 1st year students there are shared bathrooms and toilets 1 per 6 students.

Last edited:

martin

Mathemagician
HSC
alright,
I'm in my second year at International House (IH) so there will inevitably be bias but here are my opinions

st. johns - used to be all guys (I think) so will have less girls than other colleges. Fairly traditional, take rugby very seriously. I think there would be fairly hardcore initiation stuff (they make the guys swim in the lake - not very healthy).

union college - People I know at union say that its easy not to get to know people. They give you less catered meals than other colleges and people often take their food back to their room to eat. Not religiously affiliated and very good security (feels a bit like a prison). Have a reputation for drinking, as do most of the colleges.

emmanuel - I don't really know emmanuel. High fences, maybe a bit snobby?

duchesne - Seems alright. Don't know much about them. All girls.

international house - IMO the best of the colleges. Small enough that you get to know everyone. Much nicer towers instead of the prisonlike corridors of the other towers. Big rooms (relatively) with balconies in some. Very little in the way of initiation or seperation between years. Is about 50% asian and they probably do keep to themselves to some extent. But its great to meet people from all over the world. Some of my friends are German, Canadian, English, Singaporean, Mexican - all over the world.

of colleges you didn't mention.

Grace - Don't go there. Everyone who goes there hates it. You aren't allowed boys after 10, no alcohol and so on...

Cromwell - Pretty good. They have hardcore initiation stuff - you have to wear a hat all O-week and are given a fresher name that replaces your own. But most Crommy people really enjoy themselves.

Womens - Don't really know them. It'd probably be alright.

anyway ask questions if you have any

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
ok, you've seriously talked me out of st johns :p do you think they'll make the girls swim across the lake too? :rolleyes:

i went to union college in the last week of term 2, and it wasn't really pretty or anything... and yes, i saw the bars. on of the gates slammed on me, and they're so heavy!

lol, maybe you are A TAD bit biased on international house BUT my friend's brother (who is also from alstonville, coincidentally) tell me to go to international house because he said it was the best :p but i'm also asian and i don't want people assuming i'm one of those people who like to keep to themselves :D

LMAO, you have to wear a hat in cromwell for a week?
are you serious?

thanks for the other info though. i've narrowed it down to st johns (blackbunny says it's good, so i'll have to take her word for it :D) and international house.
is IH hard to get into?

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
blackbunny said:
what do you know about kings and stleos colledges
uh,,, they're colleges for guys? :D
that's about all i know, i don't know if martin knows about it... maybe he'll talk you into going into IH as well :D

blackbunny

HSC
Crikket said:
(blackbunny says it's good, so i'll have to take her word for it :D) and international house.
is IH hard to get into?
Im a HE :(

martin

Mathemagician
HSC
who is your friend's brother Crikket? If he's from alstonville, knows about IH and is male my guesses are:
- me (presumably its not me)
- Blake Daley
- Niall Boyd
- Ian Parrington
- someone else from before I went there.

more biased opinions, this time on guys colleges

Kings - Very traditional, blokey and rich. They all look after each other as 'Kingsmen' and you'll probably find it easy to pick up random Grace and Women's chicks because of your reputation. Kings is where some guy was buggered with a broomstick a few years ago. However there is also respect for musical and dramatic talent as it can help them win the coveted (by them) Inter College Cup. Has a full size billiards table, beach volleyball court, $30000 rowing boat etc

St Leo's - All the bad parts of Kings with none of the good.

As for getting into the different colleges

IH is easy (apply in time and you'll get in unless you're racist)

Kings, Emmanuel are hard (need to be academically or sport talented ie OP of 4 which is UAI of about 92 I'd say)

Not sure about others

blackbunny

HSC
martin said:
IH is easy (apply in time and you'll get in unless you're racist)
First of all why do u think that im racist? I just think its hard to live with people who speak different language and have different traditions.
Whats your opinion?
By the way I would like to have friends from different contries.
How many australian students and european students live in IH?

martin said:
(they make the guys swim in the lake - not very healthy)
MAKE?! guys swim in the lake? What will happen if they refuse?

How would you rank these colleges from 1 (best) to 7 (worst):
cromwell
kings
emmanuel
IH
stjohns
union
leos

Also in male colleges are there any homos? Caz I dont want to go where homosexuality happens.

blackbunny

HSC
Also is it possible for students from other unis to get a place in uq colleges?

martin

Mathemagician
HSC
First of all why do u think that im racist?
I don't. That was a joke, obviously they wouldn't let a neo-Nazi go to international house but I'm sure you'd get in.

At IH its about 50% international students. Of these maybe 3/4 would be asian (China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Japan...). The others are North American, European, couple of South American, 1 or 2 African. So even if you didn't want to speak to Asians (but why go to IH then?) there would still be over 100 white Australians.

MAKE?! guys swim in the lake? What will happen if they refuse?
Initiation during OWeek is something that I don't really understand because there isn't much of it at IH but at many colleges it is very serious. The idea is that if all the 2nd and 3rd years treat the 1st years ('freshers') like shit it creates a very tight knit group. All of you have been through the same stuff so feel a bond. Its the same sort of stuff they do in the army. Here's some of the things I've seen or heard of being done:

- Locking people in their room with a carton of beer and not letting them come out until they drink it.
- When a second or third year want something done they just yell out "FRESHER VOLUNTEER" and hundreds of first years come running to do their bidding.
- Making Crommy kids wear these big pink straw hats for the whole week and they get in trouble if they're not wearing them.

As for what happens if you don't do these things I'm not sure. I think its mainly peer pressure that makes you do them.

How would you rank these colleges from 1 (best) to 7 (worst):
Well here's my rank of places I'd like to live in from best to worst:
IH
Cromwell
Emmanuel
Union (Feels like a prison
StJohns (commonly known as Jabbers)
Kings (Why would you live in an all guys college?)
Leos

Also in male colleges are there any homos? Caz I dont want to go where homosexuality happens.
I don't think that they're very tolerant places. So probably not openly.

blackbunny

HSC
martin said:
Why would you live in an all guys college?
I really would not like to live in the male colleges. Reason is I want to apply to 2 unis UQ and QUT. If I will enter to QUT I think UQ colleges will reject me. Im not sure but I think I will have a small choice of UQ colleges due to this reason. Do you know if man can live in UQ colleges while studing in a different unis? Do you know colleges around QUT?

P.S. Thank you for your info about colleges.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
martin said:
who is your friend's brother Crikket? If he's from alstonville, knows about IH and is male my guesses are:
- me (presumably its not me)
- Blake Daley
- Niall Boyd
- Ian Parrington
- someone else from before I went there.
yup, blake daley, though i only spoke to him for 5 mins. most of it was his sister megan's influencing :D She's trying to convince me to apply there, saying that she'll get her brother's "contacts" so that i can get in easily :p

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
blackbunny said:
I really would not like to live in the male colleges. Reason is I want to apply to 2 unis UQ and QUT. If I will enter to QUT I think UQ colleges will reject me. Im not sure but I think I will have a small choice of UQ colleges due to this reason. Do you know if man can live in UQ colleges while studing in a different unis? Do you know colleges around QUT?

P.S. Thank you for your info about colleges.
they give first preference to UQ students
and there's no residential colleges at QUT so the best thing you could do is apply for a college and hope for the best :p and check out some off-campus accomodation around both QUT and UQ just in case

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
sorry about posting 5 at a time, but i keep missing info then when i reread stuff i have something to say :)
why are st johns known as jabbers? do they have lots of gay people or that's just wat they're known as?
personally, i think living with gay people would be fun!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i would really NOT like to go to an all women's college
but i wouldn't mind going to an all mens :p
jk jk
single sex would be good in some ways, (ie you don't get distracted as much).

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Whats the accommodation like at Ipswich? Was the social life out there? Is QUT better in regards to social life?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Oh, and can you go to QUT and till stay at International House?

How much does International House cost? For 4 and 8 dorms? Cheers!

Last edited:

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
wow, its been a while since i've posted here

first of all...don't go to ipswich!!! apparently there's nothing to do there, my friend lives there but she comes up to brisbane all the time, thus more expenditure thus less money for alcohol. its really not worth it, you're better of commuting from brisbane to ipswich every day, or better yet, not going to ipswich at all.

secondly, i've been accepted into International House (...yeah, i forgot to put my st johns application in in time...but IH is still really awesome! ) and there are heaps of people staying at International House and going to QUT. its a really awesome place, you get to know everyone so well. i don;t know about the price, but i think i had to pay about $7000 for first semester (including student club fees and such) and another $6000 this semester. its not too bad considering you get social life, food and accomodation as well as no travelling expenses!
the only thing i'd comment on would be the lack of inter college activities - we don't do nearly enough of going out with other colleges. we have heaps of intercollege stuff, but i wish we had more...
any more questions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)