Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adfa

Adfa

just wondering if anyone is going to ADFA..did u just recieve a massive load of paper work? Also for those who are going army do u have to fill out the security pack? have a good one people

Cadet
    HSC
    Yeah, im going in next year as well, Army GSO. I havent got the paper work yet, I just signed the acceptance letter a couple of days ago.
    Vampires are make-belief, just like elves, goblins and eskimos

HSC
    N/A
    one of my friends tried out for adfa... i don't know if they got accepted though...

B Education (Primary) @ ACU, Strathfield 2005-2008

HSC
    I'm planning to go to ADFA - navy. I haven't followed it up yet, although I have a year to do it
    When we reach the city.

HSC
    i think komaticom from this forum wanted to go there...talk to him about it

Ancient Member
    HSC
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by inasero
    Its my back up choice if I don't get into the course I want to do. If I do go there I hope to do an arts degree. I want to join the Army as an Infantry Officer.

HSC
    I was considering the Bachelor of Business, but you couldnt major in any specific areas, a reason why i decided not to apply. Another factor influencing my decision was the return of service was 5 years, total 9 years. It would be good if people doing engineering or aviation though, but like i said, the no majors was the most main reason i didnt apply.

Taz
    Yup i'm headin off to ADFA - Thursday is the day... can't wait!!! I'm goin in army gso 2... all the paperwork is done... just a medical n a bit more paperwork to do at the induction n we're all set.
    Yr 12 - 2003 (Adv Eng, Gen Maths, Legal, IPT, Econ)

HSC
    N/A
    huh? ok people...fill me in, what the hell is ADFA?

HSC
    iknow a few of people from my school who are going to adfa
    ========================================

Bachelor of Science (Advanced) at University of Sydney

========================================

Cadet
    HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkl3z
    huh? ok people...fill me in, what the hell is ADFA?
    ADFA is the Australian Defence Force Academy. Basically we join up as officer cadets, do a uni degree and military training at the same time, graduate and move into the defence force doing our choosen occupation. oh... we get paid

Leaving tommorrow, woohoo

HSC

Talking

Im hopefully going 2 ADFA in 2006, BTech(aviation), im going thru all my testing and things now, i have the last assesment day before OSB, still wondering what happens there, other than interviews, like questions asked etc, if anyone wants to help me it'd b really appreciated

Cadet
    HSC
    Im at the Academy right now so ill try to answer your questions. The last asses day is basically a interview with a psych, a senior recruiter and a medical. OTher than that you do nothing all day. They may have changed the process though now. Questions asked will be specific to your job and test your understanding of what you are getting yourself into

HSC
    Ah, ADFA. I wanted to go there for ages. Applied (for education award/ 2006 entry). JOES day. Passed. Medical. Asthma. No. Appealed. Asthma worse than originally thought. No ADFA for me. Ah well.
    >>>an eccentric, provocative, shy, forthright, lovable, problem-prone, innocent, UTTERLY SILENT bunny<<<

BSpPath at UQ
    Graduating: 2010

HSC
    How bad does your asthma have to be for them to say no?

HSC
    It depends. They don't like you to have had an asthma attack in the last 2 years at least (I havent), or be on regular medication (im not). Thats a definite no. If you tell them you have asthma they'll probably tell you to go get this test thingy done, if you pass it they'll have a look at you, if you dont... I didnt. But yeah, they're pretty harsh on that kind of thing.
    >>>an eccentric, provocative, shy, forthright, lovable, problem-prone, innocent, UTTERLY SILENT bunny<<<

BSpPath at UQ
    Graduating: 2010

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Quote Originally Posted by inasero
    Wow. Named by a moderator. I feel so special.

a_person86, I agree that the ROSO kind of sucks. Nine years in the loop whether you like it or not. Also the degrees there are pretty lite. B Arts, B Science, Business for Army. Technical Aviation for RAAF. It's a waste of UAI points if you went well in the HSC then chose to spend the next 9 years of your life with only one degree under your helmet.

Gooba, I think now the last assessment day (before you're enlisted) is the second fitness test (the first is the practice test at one of ADFA's indoor basketball courts). I didn't make it to that part so I might be wrong.

starbaa, if you're a teen you can appeal for a waver if you fall short of the minimum medical requirements.

ADFA... oh well. If anyone has any recruitment questions (esp ones concerning the OSB situational essay or JOES/Assessment Day interview questions), I'll be around.
    Last edited by Komaticom; 12 Apr 2005 at 11:33 PM.
    Man, it's been a good few years since I logged onto here...

Cadet
    HSC
    Having or have had Asthma is not going to look good to recruiter no matter how long ago or severe it was. People in my year who havent had asthma for years have had sudden bouts of it occouring whilst in training. However if u want to be here you might as well give it a go.

On ROSOS, if you come to ADFA you have two years to decided whether you want to stay in or not. After Grad Parade on your second year your ROSO kicks in. That being said you can leave before your ROSO expires, it just costs a lot of money.

I had a fitness test on my OSB and after being accepted into ADFA I had another one in Nov sometime.

Cadet
    HSC
    Direct Entry Offocer into the Army spend 18 months at RMC-D. ADFA guys only spend 12months there, we miss Third Class

Cadet
    HSC

Re: anyone going to ADFA

Is anyone applying for the ADFA education award for this year

HSC

Sure thing. My ADFA OSB (Officer Selection Board) for General Service Officer enlistment has been scheduled for the 19-22nd April. *Very excited!*

The ADFA Education Award scheme is partiularly helpful if you are considering joining the defence force via this avenue and want a taste of what the procedural steps in enlisting involve. The catch is that application for the award must begin during the year in which you are in year 11 so as the selection occurs in your last HSC year of school.

OTRS (Officer Tertiary Recruitment Scheme) also seems like a fairly sensible option for those interested in joining the ADF with a university degree. This option combats some of the issues raised earlier about ADFA not offering a double degree as it allows you (UAI permitting) to attend the university and partake in the course of your choice whilst funding your studies (HECs, Medical and Accomodation subsidies) after a year of proving consistent work. The only difference is that your enlistment is considered as a reserves alternative rather than regular Army - (if that were your service of interest).

Warranted that your health and fitness is up to parr, entry isn't all that hard and so long as you are an eager and committed candidate, the odds are always favourable.

Is anybody else applying for the 2006 ADFA Education Award?

Kind regards,

Melissa
    Last edited by melissa.coade; 29 Mar 2006 at 2:18 PM.

^wooz*y^
    HSC

I applied, but the recruitor told me i wouldnt get past the first interview because i really didn't want to go to ADFA. Im going to do a partial Medical Graduate Scheme entry haha i enter a FLTLT. But im joining the reserves first while im at uni i enter as an (AC:|).

HSC

Question Re: anyone going to ADFA

DFR advised against your continued application?! Kind of defeats the job description of 'recruiter' ey? It does take some motivation but there surely isn't any harm in giving it a go, esp re: education award.

I notice you're a part of the ADFC. Are you going to apply for a career in the army, or do you mean RAFF reserves? What rank insignia denotes FLT LT?

Kind regards,
    Last edited by melissa.coade; 30 Mar 2006 at 12:46 PM.

^wooz*y^
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by melissa.coade
    DFR advised against your continued application?! Kind of defeats the job description of 'recruiter' ey? It does take some motivation but there surely isn't any harm in giving it a go, esp re: education award.

I notice you're a part of the ADFC. Are you going to apply for a career in the army, or do you mean RAAF reserves? What rank insignia denotes FLT LT?

Kind regards,
    Yes, DFR's advised me not to do the ADFA education award they said i wouldnt get past the first interview because i really dont want to go to ADFA and because i wanted to do medicine.

FLTLT (RAAF) insignia is the same as the one in the ADFC Rank poster except the RAAF ones have "AUSTRALIA" instead of"AAFC"
    Cadet ranks: http://www.cadetnet.gov.au/data/port...9178353592.pdf

Cadet
    HSC

I know this isnt a reunion place but HI MELLISSA, I was at OSB the same time as you! I thought I would take a look at what people have to say about ADFA on this forum.

I found out about ADFA trough an add in the paper for the education award. Because I was interested in this award, I wanted to find out about ADFA, and yeah ever since then I have wanted to go to ADFA. I have recently been told that I am successful and guaranteed entry into ADFA subject to getting the UAI and passing fitness assessments etc. I want to do Civil Engineering there, UAI of 85 and I think I should be able to manage that.

I am yet to find out about how I went with regards to the education award. Either way, I think getting in is an achievement in itself. Anyway for those of you considering ADFA, it offers a fantastic start in life. Good luck.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information