Griffith University - calling all students (1 Viewer)

magician

HSC
Hello, just wondering if there is anyone out there who is going to Griffith?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
It's one of my preferences, but I'm an '05'er.

magician

HSC
Hello fellow prospective student, it appears that there must not be many people on BOS looking at going the Griffith. *cries* Out of interest, what are you thinking about doing?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Bachelor of Photonics and Nanoscience. :D

And you?

magician

HSC
B Music. Although I eventually intend to do Psychology either at UQ (preferred option) or Griffith.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I'm aiming for B Biotech at UQ. I should get in, but it can't hurt to have a backup.

You interested in psychology research or clinical psychology?

magician

HSC
Not really that sure. Research psychology would be interesting. Good luck with getting into B Biotech- I think that would be an interesting course :)

magician

HSC
Whoo, another BoS member at Griffith!! Good luck with finding accomodation too. Hey, have you tried to use the Griffith Portal at all? I can't make it let me use it! Mabye I have to wait until orientation week.

scruffy012

HSC
yeah u should be able to use it now as the usernames and passwords have been sent on the 29th Jan, working out how to do yr timetable is hard though, but manageable. good luck if ya havent done it yet and im at Nathan Camus prob see ya around.

scruffy

graphix

HSC
Another newbie uni student here, will be doing a B Multimedia at GC campus starting this semester...found the Grififth Portal to sign up to courses pretty easy personally (I am reasonably skilled with computers though), but I can see how it could possibly be a bit hard for the average computer user. Luckily they do have on-campus support though for anyone facing any troubles.

What got me most was from the time of receiving your enrolment package to actually confirming your enrolment at the uni and booking the courses your undertaking for your program, there is no personal contact at all...all of it was done online. I thought I would of had to go in to the campus and do all that. But I've only been to the campus once so far, and that was just a stroll to the admin building to get my student card and hand in a credit transfer application form (completed a Diploma of Multimedia at TAFE last year, already got the result in the transcript area in my griffith portal. Got 40cp transfer credit in total...a 1.5 year course for that! oh well 1 semester less at uni is better than nothing I guess, helps later on when I have to start paying my HECS fees [by not having to enrol in as much courses] and I have something extra to put down in the resume).

Just roaming around and reading on here, I seemed to notice that Griffith does seem to have a lack of people on here doesn't it :/

Anyway to any older uni students here from Griffith (in regards to having xp in uni, not age-wise ;) ) how is O-week at Griffith in your experience? It starts next week so I'm starting to look forward to it, hopefully it should be good.

Last edited:

Bec1234

HSC
I've just finished my 3rd year at griffith, Nathan campus (I was trying to find this page for a friend in grade 12 and wandered into the forums). O week is ok, there's always a big party on one of the campuses, this year it's back at Nathan. If you're underage it's not as fun, but if you're 18 it's fine.

There's a lot of freebies floating around, make sure you scab as much as you can from the market stalls...

If you want more info ask away...accommodation may be hard to find this late, though there are a lot of student complexes around that are great to live in (I've been in one the past 3 years, am hopefully moving out soon). Don't go on campus if you're at Nathan, unless you really want the on campus thing. It's much easier to live in one of the complexes scattered around (Uni Park, Griffith Glen etc), and much nicer.

The timetabling and enrolling thing is a bit tougher this semester, because we used to not have online sign ups for tutorials, but they've added that to all courses this year so you have to plan your timetable before you enrol which is a pain.

Oh and check the second hand bookshop before buying your textbooks, and the posters around uni as well, unless you're doing a biology course (and Im sure there are others that are hard to find books for), there are lots of people selling second hand ones. If you need to get 'Chemistry' by Brown, then make sure you go to the bookstore (above the food store, in the SRC room), because there's always copies of that available.

Last edited:

Skitter

HSC
N/A
Hey Bec1234,

I'm an asian guy from an asian country and I'm thinking of applying of Griffith Uni.
I know that it aint exactly the most prestigious uni in Oz but the idea of studying in the Gold Coast is simply too tempting.

I'm just wondering, can you fill me in on how you find Griffith as a University? Is it worth going there? What's the atmosphere like? How recognised/employable is a degree from Griffith? What's the workload like? Is there time to balance school and a part-time job? And also, how is the international community at Griffith? Is there a considerable number of Asians there?

BTW, if I do go to Griffith, I'm considering doing International Business.

Thanks.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Skitter said:
Hey Bec1234,

I'm an asian guy from an asian country and I'm thinking of applying of Griffith Uni.
I know that it aint exactly the most prestigious uni in Oz but the idea of studying in the Gold Coast is simply too tempting.

I'm just wondering, can you fill me in on how you find Griffith as a University? Is it worth going there? What's the atmosphere like? How recognised/employable is a degree from Griffith? What's the workload like? Is there time to balance school and a part-time job? And also, how is the international community at Griffith? Is there a considerable number of Asians there?

BTW, if I do go to Griffith, I'm considering doing International Business.

Thanks.
Don't know much about Griffith, but Uni's outside major cities (mainly Sydney and Melbourne) are usually lots of fun ;) esspecially if you live on campus. I'm at CSU in NSW and I know a few people who've come over from asian countries to study here, a fair few from Japan to do nursing, and a couple from all over the place to do business. Because it's in the country, there isn't much asians, but unlike places such as USYD you don't go to the 'asian groups' or like UNSW were it's pretty much just an international campus, you get along with everyone, and living aon campus forces you to talk to everyone, at least everyone in your dorm. If o-week is anything like CSU, after the first week, it doesn't matter what background you have, you'll have stacks of mates ;)

Good luck though mate, and PM/email bec if she doesn't answer ;)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
How does QU, QUT and Griffith compare in regards to social life, academics etc? I'm moving to Brisbane next year and want to continue my nursing degree. Cheers!

plangent

HSC
To revive this thread, ;)

I am a final year LLB student at GUGC. I fled the UQ Law School because it sucks various parts of goats in terms of its teaching quality and materials.

I left for the reasons listed in the UQLS report criticising the UQ Law School:
http://www.uqls.com/?action=view_content&content_id=145

I'm as happy as a pig in mud. This is definitely the place to undertake an LLB in Queensland. UQ will recover in the next CENTURY OR SO. Until then its reputation is going down, baby.

YAY!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)