Residential Colleges at Uni of Adelaide (1 Viewer)

sambo_rambo

HSC
Hi
I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the residential colleges near Adelaide Uni are like? Also, will i feel left out if i'm under 18 for quite a lot of first-year?
Thanks,
Sam

Spon888

HSC
So to restart this thread, does anyone have any interesting information/opinions about the Residential Colleges in Adelaide. Also, what about the Student Accomodation, esp at "The Village"?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Village is a bit expensive.. and about 30 min walk to uni.. there is a free bus tho..and is near chinatown (read:street)

the colleges are all good.. just find one that suits u... esp during interview times

nic56

Sheep Station (farm 4city ppl) 50 km NW of Wentwor
HSC
The best residential college depends who you talk to.. If you talk to someone who comes from st marks then that is better than Aquinas... but if u talk to someone from Aquinas then that is better than St marks.
Most places in residential colleges have been filled but you can be placed on a waiting list.. here are the websites of the more common residental colleges in adelaide
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/Aquinas/
http://www.stmarkscollege.com.au/
http://www.stannscollege.edu.au/
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/lincoln/
I have been accepted in Aquinas for next year.. I am so excited. My brother is at St marks.. earlier in the year i toured St annes and didnt think alot of it... the hallways were small and very cramped and dark. Though it may appeal to some because most rooms have ensuit showers.. It is truely up to the individual were you go.

Spon888

HSC
nic56 said:
I have been accepted in Aquinas for next year.. I am so excited. My brother is at St marks.. earlier in the year i toured St annes and didnt think alot of it... the hallways were small and very cramped and dark. Though it may appeal to some because most rooms have ensuit showers.. It is truely up to the individual were you go.
Thanks for the information. Can you take tours of the Colleges by visiting them, or is it strictly during any open days they have? I'm going down there for an interview, but thats later this month, and if the Colleges let me, I'll try to get a tour of them. (I think December is a bit late though) but my first preference is for the student accomodation at The Village (which I've already applied for) so hopefully I get accepted somewhere.

But I really want to inspect the Colleges before I apply. Do you think thats a good idea?

ps Congrats on the offer for Aquinas. I guess I'm starting this a bit too late if you've already been offered a place, and I'm still applying.

nic56

HSC
You should still be able to tour the colleges. The most student at residential colleges have gone home and the rooms will be empty. it is worth ringing which college you are interested in and finding out.
I would reccommend a college over the village. There is alot more social events and sporting events conducted within the college and between all the colleges in adelaide. The colleges are only 10 minutes walk to uni SA city west and east campuses and the university of adelaide.
were are your from?? what do you plan to study next year??

Spon888

HSC
Thanks for the Info again. I'll be going to Adelaide in 2 weeks, so I'll be able to do all the applications then, and hopefully I'll get a feedback from a few friends of mine who are down there now for a Medicine Interview. I'm from Sydney, and hopefully planning to study BDS (Dental Surgery) next year - thats what the interview is for.

With Colleges, is it a lot stricter in terms of the way its run - especially Curfews if I'm correct? I wouldn't mind trying it out for a year, but the reason I'm more inclined to "The Village" is because you get more freedom, the complex is only 3 years old, and I've heard College food is pretty much like camp food :p

Spon888

HSC
When you were accepted for Aquinas for next year, was there an interview process or did they just call you up and say you got it (based on an application form)? Also, have you toured the Colleges and did you apply to the other 3 as well? I was wondering if you got offers for the other Colleges.

And what are you going to be studying next year? Are you from Sydney too?

nic56

HSC
Spon888 said:
When you were accepted for Aquinas for next year, was there an interview process or did they just call you up and say you got it (based on an application form)? Also, have you toured the Colleges and did you apply to the other 3 as well? I was wondering if you got offers for the other Colleges.

And what are you going to be studying next year? Are you from Sydney too?
I hope to study Occupational Therapy and if i dont get the marks to get into that i want to study nursing. I am not from sydney.. I live on a sheep station north of wentworth.. wentworth is situated in Far western NSW (13hrs from sydney and 8hrs from melbourne) ... I live about 2 hours south of broken hill.. I live about 5hrs from adelaide.. which is my closest capital city. thats why i have chosen to study in adelaide next year.
Yeh i had to have an interview to get into Aquinas... It was a phone interview as i wasnt able to make it to adelaide to have a face to face interview..
I also applied for St marks and was accepted but I knocked the offer back.. I didnt apply for any other colleges.
I think the interview is an important part of the application process. As fare as i know all colleges in adelaide have an interview process..

Spon888

HSC
Is Occupational Therapy harder to get into than Nursing? Out of curiousity, what does it involve?

And I have a question about the facilities of the Colleges - When they say they have a "Gym", does that mean a reasonably sized one? I found a picture on the internet of the biggest college in Monash University - its gym consisted of a treadmill, a small multi-resistance workout machine, and cycling machine. I thought that was pretty small for a college with around 200 people.

nic56

HSC
The gym at Aquinas is very basic.. The one at St marks is fairly good.. It has only been in for two years. The gyms have more than you described for monash.
Yes occupational therapy is harder than nursing depending on which university you go to.. Nursing at university of adelaide requires an interview for entry so it may be harder to get into than occupational therapy, but nursing at uni sa had a really low entry in 2005 and is pretty easy to get in. Nursing at uni sa requires a UAI of only 54 and university of adelaide is 75 (and interview)... or about that..
Occupational therapy required a UAI of 91.30 last year, because i come from a rural area there is a bonus scheme that we automatically recieve... it is a complicated system but sometimes we can end up with up to ten bonus points on top of our UAI.
Occupational therapists assist individuals, groups or communities to maximise strengthsand build skills to participate effectively in everyday activities. Occupational therapists provide a range of services which include promotive, preventative, restorative, rehabilitative, educative, supportive and social change approaches.​

Spon888

HSC
From the information given on the website, St Marks definetly looks like the 5star Luxury relative to the other Colleges - 5 tennis courts! and as you said, a new and decent Gym...but I guess you pay for what you get. Is your brother enjoying it at that College? Do you know if he wants to switch Colleges perhaps?

So you're definetly going to UAdel next year? Because I've realised I won't know if I get in until UAC/SATAC/other institutions releases offers, and the Colleges all have acceptance deadlines before that, so I'll probably have to accept and pay a "pull-out" fee...well I guess I'll take it as it comes.

nic56

HSC
Spon888 said:
From the information given on the website, St Marks definetly looks like the 5star Luxury relative to the other Colleges - 5 tennis courts! and as you said, a new and decent Gym...but I guess you pay for what you get. Is your brother enjoying it at that College? Do you know if he wants to switch Colleges perhaps?

So you're definetly going to UAdel next year? Because I've realised I won't know if I get in until UAC/SATAC/other institutions releases offers, and the Colleges all have acceptance deadlines before that, so I'll probably have to accept and pay a "pull-out" fee...well I guess I'll take it as it comes.

I believe Aquinas and St marks are the same when it comes to luxury. Aquinas doesnt have a very good website but has the same facilities as St marks. Yeh my brother is enjoying college....has been there two years and is going back for his third next year...St marks is a bit more expensive than aquinas... maybe about $60 a week more than the other colleges.. The fees other than the application fee is refundable if you dont take up an offer through SATAC. The deadline is generally before the uni offers comes out but you can be put on a waiting list... which would be all that good...

My first and third prefence is at Uni SA and all my other preferences are at uni adelaide. I have applied for VTAC and UAC but i wuld rather go to adelaide. My second choice after adelaide is Wagga but that is further from home. I am more likely to go to adelaide, as i have accomadation and will get the marks to get into nursing at one of the three uni's in adelaide if i dont get the marks for Occupational therapy.

Last edited:

Spon888

HSC
I've gathered a bit of information from various sources about the Colleges, and this is what they had to say:

Lincoln: Theres a lot of med/dent students who go there, so that would be good for me or even any HealthScience students. However theres a pecking order, where the older students take the bigger rooms and the freshmans are left with the smaller rooms - and theres a male and female bathroom for a floor of 10 people - sounds cramped :p and theres also a lot of International Students

Aquinas: Supposedly when a friend went there for their interview, no one bothered to clean up the rooms they had to stay in. Plus, they found the mattresses provided were all soiled, and they couldn't find any non-soiled mattresses, so they ended up sleeping on the floor because it was so bad - doesn't look too good :S

StAnns: Nice place, except the Dean makes you participate in a lot of the College Activities, which can be a bad thing if you either want to study/do other things.

StMarks: Supposedly a lot of students who come from Rural backgrounds, and the College is really into its sports. But I probably won't apply here because its relatively $$$

Anyway you can tour all of the Colleges there, so I can probably make a final decision there. But that Aquinas thing sounded surprising!

Keen

MD
HSC
I go to Lincoln (starting my 4th year). It's great, we think it's the best.
About the bathroom problem, there's now a male and female bathroom on that floor. Pretty good facilities, there's a decent gym (a lot of machines, bench press, free weights etc, a basic version of the uni gym, adequate for even body builders).

Aquinas can get a bit noisy and there's a lot of partying over there, so you may have to watch it if you're really into your study.

St Marks is St Marks.

St Ann's and St Marks are both pretty into their sport, and college spirit etc.

Not that big of a problem if you're under 18, you may not be able to drink 'officially' at some college events, but lets just say I stopped clubbing when I turned 18 in Adelaide. So fake ID's (or in my case real IDs stupid bouncers) can work if you're so inclined.

Keen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)