China Exchange (1 Viewer)

Matty023

HSC
So is anyone else here going on exchange to China? Or has ever been?
And does anyone know any good resources to learn Mandarin, hopefully not too expensive.

Matty ^_^

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i'm planning to go exchange at Hong Kong University in semester 1, 2008, but that's still some time away.

outside of university studies, TAFE runs three levels of Chinese. It's quite a difficult language to grasp by self-study.

phrred

HSC
Im thinking of deferring for a year or semester to go teach English in China so I can be exposed to the language coz im studying it atm. Its hard to learn when you're in Australia where you only speak it in the classroom and always use English writing

So-net

HSC
回覆: Re: China Exchange

Frigid said:
i'm planning to go exchange at Hong Kong University in semester 1, 2008, but that's still some time away.

outside of university studies, TAFE runs three levels of Chinese. It's quite a difficult language to grasp by self-study.
University of Hong Kong is a great university I've been there before :) :) ....Pure English teaching don't have to afraid of the language problem..If you wish to study language, they provide mandarin course as well.. but if you are doing business/commerce course I would suggest that Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a great choice as well ....( but heard from the student from there heaps of works to do)

Last edited:

dreamer7

HSC
I'm seriously considering spending a year in China when i complete my HSC. I'm learning Chinese atm and I want to become really fluent.

If I spend a year in China after the HSC, will my university admission be hindered or become better? (this is assuming I get a good UAI- will they say 'sorry, you did your HSC two years ago, the newer students get preference' ?)

Haku

i am going 1st semester 2008, possibly for a yr.
i applied to mainland china cause i reckon its a better experience, as hk is purely english and more englandish.

but find the rite subjects to replace the ones here is a real pain, as their website is of no help, and i am currently stuck on what to do/.

but from what i read on the site, it does teach courses in english if requested, and apparently flexible in awarding credits and all that.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Matty023 said:
And does anyone know any good resources to learn Mandarin, hopefully not too expensive.

Matty ^_^

Have you looked into your local TAFE?
they do mandarin beginners, intermed. and advan type level courses... over a couple of months.. but you'd have to wait till august.. [2nd semester..]
If you do it through that way, it's quite cheap.. [$180??] for the semester, and you get a certificate of attainment for it...

i did it back in year 10.. but wasnt particularly dedicated to it.. [had a tonne of other thigns to concentrate on.. and it was on a weeknight..]

otherwise you could lookinto private tutors or intensive language programs.. [once again, they're quite expensive..]

and perhaps if you do start to learn it.. you could pair up with a mando speaker.. u help them with their eng and they help u with mando.. ie practice talking..[u see quite a few little ads on signposts.. 'english speaker wanted to converse with chinese, mando speaking man'..haha..]

but yeah... with TAFE you really need to be dedicated and practice...

Haku

do you know when and where you can submit the application for tafe 2nd semester?

also do they provide like weekend or nite classes as i got uni during the day.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
nosadness said:
do you know when and where you can submit the application for tafe 2nd semester?

also do they provide like weekend or nite classes as i got uni during the day.

ummmm not entirely sure.. i was overseas when i had to put in my applications so they sent me out a proxy form which someone else handed in for me.. so im not quite sure of the normal procedure...
but like i said, 2nd smeester begins in august so u have plenty of time..
just google TAFE and itll come up
:)
and yeah.. the classes i wentto were at night [they cater esp for UNi students and working adults..]
but i know someone else who went to weekend classes for the course.. [so i guess it just really depends on the campus..]

goodluck :)
classes for me had been twice a week every alternate week, and then every other week was just once a week...
and was from.. 6-9ish...

phrred

HSC
does anyone know where i can find the courses taught in english at beida, tsinghua and fudan?

Haku

yea i am having trouble finding courses tought there.

btw beida is only for postgrad studies, if ur undergrad u cant go there.

velox, whats the courses like at usyd?
is it like short 6 lesson courses for studies of interest?

EDIT: BTW, all courses on offer can be choosen to be taught in english, so just find the name of the courses and apply for exchange, corrently i werent able to find any courses.

phrred

HSC
nosadness said:
yea i am having trouble finding courses tought there.

btw beida is only for postgrad studies, if ur undergrad u cant go there.

velox, whats the courses like at usyd?
is it like short 6 lesson courses for studies of interest?

EDIT: BTW, all courses on offer can be choosen to be taught in english, so just find the name of the courses and apply for exchange, corrently i werent able to find any courses.
UNSW changed their exchange rules with bei da and now they accept people from all disciplines and UG + PGs

all courses can be chosen to be taught in English in China? r u sure? it sounds too good to be true. I dont think many lecturers can speak English in China

Haku

phrred said:
UNSW changed their exchange rules with bei da and now they accept people from all disciplines and UG + PGs

all courses can be chosen to be taught in English in China? r u sure? it sounds too good to be true. I dont think many lecturers can speak English in China
hm where did u get that info? cause in the latest exchange prospectus they list beida as only for postgrad. btw do u know whether qinghua or beida is better for commerce?

yea it is true u can choose ur courses to be taught in english. To study in china u need a language profeciency of 6, which is the lowest level, so that means all u need is to utter a few words. no way would u pass any normal subjects taught in chinese with that level of profeciency, other countries which requrie language profeciencies need a lvl 1, which is the higher, eg germany and japan.

and yea, HK uni is a great place to study commerce, apprently its the best comm uni in asia

Haku

slively03 said:
What's the point in going to a different country if you expect it to be exactly the same as Australia?

Also, what do you think of the city university of Hong Kong?

then whats the point of going to exchange at all to america or uk or anywhere where they teach in english.

jeez its not about the teachings, its about the cultural exchange.

phrred

HSC
nosadness said:
hm where did u get that info? cause in the latest exchange prospectus they list beida as only for postgrad. btw do u know whether qinghua or beida is better for commerce?

yea it is true u can choose ur courses to be taught in english. To study in china u need a language profeciency of 6, which is the lowest level, so that means all u need is to utter a few words. no way would u pass any normal subjects taught in chinese with that level of profeciency, other countries which requrie language profeciencies need a lvl 1, which is the higher, eg germany and japan.

and yea, HK uni is a great place to study commerce, apprently its the best comm uni in asia
the guy in the office told me and its updated on the exchange website
not sure about which 1 has better comm

Haku

I got all my forms done and handed into, no just wait to be accepted (which i hope would be fast and pain free).

Anywayz whos going china next year first semester??????

I heard from the exchange advisor i am the only one, pls tell me this is not the case...

phrred

HSC
nosadness said:
I got all my forms done and handed into, no just wait to be accepted (which i hope would be fast and pain free).

Anywayz whos going china next year first semester??????

I heard from the exchange advisor i am the only one, pls tell me this is not the case...
Do you go to new south

im planning to go 2nd semester 08

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)