studying in USA (1 Viewer)

W.M. smokey

HSC
well... im going to migrate to San Francisco next year and i would be grateful if anyone could give me some info about what it would be like to sudy in the USA
(im in year 10 by the way)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
when are you leaving?

you do know the school year is different right? it runs from September to late May/early June the next year.

so if you're going in January, then you're arrive in the middle of the school year and have to probably start in the middle of their year ten.

gracie007

HSC
unless u have a shitload of money, its probably a bad idea.

SamFisher3

HSC
N/A
i noe a friend who got a basketball scholarship and went to the university of something or other. said she's having the time of her life. personally i would love to live in the us

dora_18

HSC
SamFisher3 said:
i noe a friend who got a basketball scholarship and went to the university of something or other. said she's having the time of her life. personally i would love to live in the us
same, especially in NY.
I would do anything to move over there and do high school there, lol...better than this! Or in europe..not just anywhere though, ive lived in poland...thats nothing special ..id like to go to france though.

James747

HSC
W.M. smokey said:
well... im going to migrate to San Francisco next year and i would be grateful if anyone could give me some info about what it would be like to sudy in the USA
I guess it really depends on what school your going to, as would if u went anywhere else. If its one of those prestigous private schools, well then definitely it would be good. But if its one of those shifty local schools in those out reaching suburbs, perhaps it might be better off finishing senior high school at Kingsgrove High School then leave ;)

Nivek

HSC
gracie007 said:
Yea...it kinda true - according to some material i'd read (dunt ask me when and wat), the average expenditure the US is much greater than in Aus.

W.M. smokey said:
no idea wats it like to study in USA but i got a imagination that it is of bullying, drug and those American football kinda place (from hollywood movies):hammer:

If you want my most personal advise - don't go....we'll miss ya!

Last edited:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
gracie007 said:
This sounds like a family decision, not an individual one. What parents in their right mind agree to send their tenth-grade kid off to complete high school on the other side of the world? I take it their whole family is moving, possibly because of work.

A similar scare recently happened to me. A couple of months ago, my dad was expecting to accept a job offer that would have us living in New York, New York. He actually declined it, because me and my two sisters didn't want to study over there. Their whole system is kind of fucked up, I reckon. Basically, every state's system is different. I did a lot of research on the NY schooling, and I didn't like the sound of it. It actually kind of confused me, because I couldn't find any information on transfer students and every subject had a certain time period that you needed to have studied it (English - 4 years, PE - 2 years, 1 science subject - 3 years etc) and it just did not appeal to me at all. I like the NSW system, where Math and Science are not compulsory and you're given more freedom to study the subjects you're interested in and actually want to do.

I know the SATs are way, way, WAY easier than the HSC though, so that'll be a relief to you. You'll be able to apply to a whole range of universities it would otherwise be difficult to get into if you were completing high school in Australia.

STaLLiNG STooGe

Need I say more?
HSC
dora_18 said:
same, especially in NY.
I would do anything to move over there and do high school there, lol...better than this! Or in europe..not just anywhere though, ive lived in poland...thats nothing special ..id like to go to france though.
LOL high 5 for new york!! i know exactly how u feel... if not NY, then london. if not london, LA =)

Jachie

HSC
Speaking of London, I'd actually really like to go to university there... *sighs dramatically and gets ready to start saving her pennies*

STaLLiNG STooGe

Need I say more?
HSC
Jachie said:
Speaking of London, I'd actually really like to go to university there... *sighs dramatically and gets ready to start saving her pennies*
totally agree with you. aside from oxford or cambridge, i haven't really heard of a whole lot of other good unis there.

Jachie

HSC
STaLLiNG STooGe said:
totally agree with you. aside from oxford or cambridge, i haven't really heard of a whole lot of other good unis there.
It depends on what you want to study, really. Obviously Oxford and Cambridge are the big names, but there are plenty of other well-respected schools there. Kings is supposed to be excellent for law, for example. Currently, I'm really intrigued by two totally different courses at different schools - London South Bank University for Writing For Media Arts, and University Of Westminster for Criminal Justice.

STaLLiNG STooGe

Need I say more?
HSC
Jachie said:
It depends on what you want to study, really. Obviously Oxford and Cambridge are the big names, but there are plenty of other well-respected schools there. Kings is supposed to be excellent for law, for example. Currently, I'm really intrigued by two totally different courses at different schools - London South Bank University for Writing For Media Arts, and University Of Westminster for Criminal Justice.
yep i havent lookd too much into it yet. i dont even know wat i wanna do but a uni in and around london would b my aim. my frend that lives there though, he says the unis there r a haven for sex and drugs. i dunno i think he maybe a little biased. it can't be all like that...

Jachie

HSC
And that's a bad thing? :p

LOL I'm kidding. But yeah, I went to London a couple of months ago and I have fallen in love with it ever since. Right now, I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather study. I could either live there after university for a couple of years and delay my travelling dreams for another three or four years, or I could kill two birds with one stone. So yeah, like I said, I'm only in Year 10 and I've started saving up! Thank god for a well-paying job...

STaLLiNG STooGe

Need I say more?
HSC
Jachie said:
And that's a bad thing? :p

LOL I'm kidding. But yeah, I went to London a couple of months ago and I have fallen in love with it ever since. Right now, I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather study. I could either live there after university for a couple of years and delay my travelling dreams for another three or four years, or I could kill two birds with one stone. So yeah, like I said, I'm only in Year 10 and I've started saving up! Thank god for a well-paying job...
i am so0o0o0o0ooo jealous!! i've been dying to go to london. one day, hopefully, i'll move there. if not that, america. just out of aus lol not that there's anythin wrong with aus, just need to get out there. 99% of all english people i talk to nowadays all say england's crap but wateva... i'll have 2 see for myself.

Jachie

HSC
I'm sure it would be crap if you'd be living there your whole life. All the grey skies and rain... But I didn't even mind that part. Everything about it just fascinated me. It really suits me, if that makes sense. I'd love to live there for a few years, and to study over there would be even better.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)