London/Australia (1 Viewer)

U.K or Australian Universities

• Total voters

Pommy babe

Perfect Member
HSC
If you had the choice where to study would you study in the U.K. or australia?

Pommy Babe

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Uk, depending on which university.

juzmister

HSC
People from London will generally say Australia, and people from Australia will generally say London; People like a change of environment...

sunnybuns

HSC
I had to make that choice..and I chose Australia because its cheaper, better living environment and much better weather. Where I live now, it rains all the time..why go somewhere else that has crap weather when I can go to a place that has 300 days of sunshine a year

mcs

HSC
Both.... Im going to do 1 semester maybe 2 in the UK and the rest in Oz. both have their pros and cons but its good to see the world, but Oz does have lots of advantages that the UK doesnt have. And the weather is so so so much better all year round almost!

groovejet

HSC
N/A
For me, there are greater and better opportunities for me in London and London is a great city to live in. People really love their music, big global music events and if you are living there and earning some money, you can easily take a trip to Paris, or anywhere else in Europe. I would love to work and stay in London

In terms of schools, CSM London - RCA London or Uni. of Brighton.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
LONDON! The city is amazing, and I'd love to study/work/live there for a few years.

Pommy babe

Perfect Member
HSC
mcs said:
Both.... Im going to do 1 semester maybe 2 in the UK and the rest in Oz. both have their pros and cons but its good to see the world, but Oz does have lots of advantages that the UK doesnt have. And the weather is so so so much better all year round almost!
What advantages does in your opinion Oz have over the UK?
This isn't a trick question or anything or me getting my on the offensive for the uk, it's just my family and I are emigrating later this year I have a predicted UAI of 95 - 97 (which I think is good - i'm not really clued up on everything over there as I have studies and uk applications happening here at the same time) and I dont know where to go, should i go with my family to aus or should i stay in the u.k. at the uni of york which maynot be as prestigious as USyd/ ANU/UNSW/UQ. :confused:

Any help much appreciated
Thanks

Pommy Babe :wave:

juzmister

HSC
I have been living in London as an Aussie for around 4 years now. It was a great experience, but I still view Sydney as my home. I could have gone to almost any Univeristy in the world, but decided on Australia. You may want to be at Home...Apply to Australia, try it out for a year, and if you hate it you could easily transfer back to the UK.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Pommy babe said:
This isn't a trick question or anything or me getting my on the offensive for the uk, it's just my family and I are emigrating later this year I have a predicted UAI of 95 - 97 (which I think is good - i'm not really clued up on everything over there as I have studies and uk applications happening here at the same time) and I dont know where to go, should i go with my family to aus or should i stay in the u.k. at the uni of york which maynot be as prestigious as USyd/ ANU/UNSW/UQ. :confused:

Thanks

In my perspective, life is nothing without experiences. I would definitely move to Australia and give it a go. Like juzmister said, if you hate it you can always move back.

mcs

HSC
Pommy babe said:

Thanks

1st things 1st UAI of 95-97 is very good. Will get you into most courses available at most universities. I saw you are looking at doing a Finance/Commerce sort of course then that will get you in at most big unis.... definetly to ANU where I go and UQ and Probably go pretty close at UNSW and USyd- though they usually have higher UAI requirements not because they are necessarily better (Though many will argue they are) but because they are more 'popular' unis to go to as such.

Lol as for advantages of Oz over the UK, I can only talk of a limited exposure as Ive only been travelling there a few times, but have probably in total spent 4 or 5 months in the UK I would guess. But there are a few in my opinion:

1. As i said weather is so much better! Especially if you live in NSW. It does get cold in winter, but not quite as cold as the UK- might get snow once or twice in a year in most of the state. Does get very warm in Summer though up to 38-40 degrees celsius on the hottest days esp further north eg Brisbane and QLD. Autumn and Spring are very nice times of the year, nice mild temperatures but warm enough esp in spring to go swimming at our awesome beaches (Now that is one thing that there is definetly no comparison our beaches are the best in the world imo)

2. Cost of living is far lower..... the UK is very expensive in comparison to Oz for living costs with almost everything being comparatively much cheaper here. Means University costs are also much cheaper overall then the UK (Not so sure about fees as such as not really up on UK fees- a good advantage here is you can put your fees as such on hold- eg you dont have to pay upfront fees as such but pay them when you earn over x amount of dollars later in life- again im not sure whether the UK has anything like this.)Overall living at Uni is definetly cheaper here then in the UK as the cost of living is comparatively lower.

3. Life is generally more relaxed.... well thats my opinion anyway. There are less people by far (Sydney is only 4 million people and the biggest city by far) whereas London is what 8 million or something. Its just a different sort of lifestyle all together to anywhere else in the world that is very hard to explain....we like to laugh at ourselves and take life a bit less seriously then people in other parts of the world. It is hard to explain what I mean but it is definetly different. I find aussies too are more friendly then Pommies as we call you people overall (Although I have met many a nice person in the UK that is for sure) there is no as such almost 'class system' here I dont feel and thus most people see everyone else as equal as such.

4. our sporting teams are so much better :) :) :) (Just had to throw that in after the Ashes)

Im sure people have much better reasons then I have but I speak of what I believe makes Australia great.
Lol i really am just a biast aussie that loves my country but there is just so much here to offer.In the end though you have to do what you want to do lol... if you want a new exciting life in a new country move to Australia with your family you will never look back I am sure of that. But if you love your life in the UK so much that you cant take the step forward then stay there as Im sure life over there is in many ways just as awesome! As Juzmister says though you should try it out as in the worse case scenario that you hate it here you would be able to transfer back to the UK without a problem.

Matt

ScottyTee

HSC
Pommy babe said:

Thanks

Hi as a guy who has moved here from the UK (9 Months ago) I would advice just to stay in school over there and complete your A Levels. Its too great a change to start to try to adopt and understand the Australian education system and then having to try your best to top all subjects etc.... Im not here to moan about Australian education system just what I have experienced.. the HSC is very much a group thing and also depends a lot on ranking... its not as individual as you want and brings the people in your class into factor whereas in the UK you are just working for your mark and no one else matters. As well as getting new teachers who will have to write about you on your uni applications who know nothing about you. I didnt know this when I moved here, but now I am just getting my HSC complete along side with my SATs (so that I qualify for USA Uni) and then either studying in the UK or USA.

Just my 0.02

Last edited:

groovejet

HSC
N/A
I think it would be best to complete your qualifications in the UK so you know that if you have done really well in the UK, you grades are similar here in Australia. Many of the univerisities take in International students and they recognise the degrees you have, you just have to check. Before you decide which university you would like to study at, go and check the uni's themselves. Don't limit yourself just yet.

juzmister

HSC
ScottyTee said:
Hi as a guy who has moved here from the UK (9 Months ago) I would advice just to stay in school over there and complete your A Levels. Its too great a change to start to try to adopt and understand the Australian education system and then having to try your best to top all subjects etc.... Im not here to moan about Australian education system just what I have experienced.. the HSC is very much a group thing and also depends a lot on ranking... its not as individual as you want and brings the people in your class into factor whereas in the UK you are just working for your mark and no one else matters. As well as getting new teachers who will have to write about you on your uni applications who know nothing about you. I didnt know this when I moved here, but now I am just getting my HSC complete along side with my SATs (so that I qualify for USA Uni) and then either studying in the UK or USA.

Just my 0.02
I was pretty similar, except I had to do the SATs for Australia...I didn't go to an English school over here. SATs were such a bitch....

juzmister

HSC
Jachie said:
Speaking of SATs....for those who did them, how much time does studying & preparing for it take up? I'm thinking of doing them next year, but if it requires too much time and effort then I won't bother. I mean, you can do it through TAFE after the HSC if you want to, can't you?
I did some classes and read a couple books, vocab was really important. You should do a practice test on www.collegeboard.com and see where you are score wise. It's not like the HSC where you can study up the majority of the material...It's a reasoning test, but the Uni's in Australia do not use it correctly. If you were to apply to the states it usually counts for 10-30% of your admission.

Leo.T

HSC
I COMPLETELY AGREE! =] i would love to go to the uk and study for a levels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)