Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Massachusetts Institute of Technology

xeuyrawp

Re: Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Quote Originally Posted by wendybird View Post
    - Heard recently from a very reputable source that MIT has an unofficial policy of accepting only 1 australian a year.

Good luck people.

FYI these are last year's statistics:

- Harvard accepted 4
    - Yale accepted 6
    - MIT (1)

and MIT has consistently kept their aussie admissions numbers at 1.
    ... wtf? Sorry, but I have to call bullshit on all of that unless you provide a decent source (I'll apologise then).

Around those numbers probably naturally occur, but I doubt they're intentional. I personally know five Aussies who got into Yale in the same year, and only in two different departments.

As I said elsewhere, you need to remember the (relatively) tiny acceptance amount for these famous unis. Really, the low acceptance of Aussies is statistical problem.

xeuyrawp

Quote Originally Posted by wendybird View Post
    (bunch of BS with no sources)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaryuex
    Sorry, but I have to call bullshit on all of that unless you provide a decent source (I'll apologise then).
    Not sure how that was unclear??? Citing some vague people really isn't a decent source.

Quote Originally Posted by wendybird
    I trust those sources, but I did say "about" those figures. Perhaps one or two more, but no more than that.
    Yeah well tbh I don't trust you.

HSC

You also have to remember that very very few Australians even apply for undergraduate degrees at the ivy league. You would expect that the students who would consider applying would be students who would do a proper academic degree like Arts or Science if they were to stay in Australia, since that is what they would be doing at the ivy league. And just looking at how many students actually choose science or arts in Australia compared to all the other double degrees and technical / vocational / professional degrees shows that there probably isn't really that much interest in the ivy league. I'm sure that if many more who had a chance applied, the acceptance rates for Australians would go up quite a lot.

The other thing is that entrance to good universities in USA has much less to do with your results in highschool exams and tests, and much more to do with a series of tests, called the SAT, which is a little like the GAT in Australia. American students spend a very long time preparing for the SAT, and so Australian students can be at a disadvantage here, since they aren't surrounded by the same motivational SAT preparation culture.

HSC

Beside MIT is very hard to get in.. you gotta be very targetted. and will need a full power pack startegic learning..

Cadet
    HSC

My friend is thinking of studying graduate chem engineering at MIT (she's crazy and willing to pay the entire whatever-thousand-dollars as an international student). Do graduate students need to take SAT? And does she need to study undergrad engineering chem?

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ming mong View Post
    My friend is thinking of studying graduate chem engineering at MIT (she's crazy and willing to pay the entire whatever-thousand-dollars as an international student). Do graduate students need to take SAT? And does she need to study undergrad engineering chem?
    ummm no chem engineering background and doing a postgrad at MIT? shes gonna have a bad time.

grads dont need SATs that's only for undergrads. I don't think there's a separate fee for domestic/international for MIT since its a private uni.

Cadet
    HSC

haha lol. why is she going to have a bad time?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ming mong View Post
    haha lol. why is she going to have a bad time?
    Well how can you expect someone to even remotely understand what they are doing in post-graduate Chemical Engineering if they lack the fundamentals in Chemical Engineering?
    Flop21 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information