American university (1 Viewer)

Mikkx

HSC
hi, i'm from Australia and i'm currently in year 10 this year.

i want to go to America for university, and i was wondering how i'm able to do that.

do i have to take any extra exams , and in general what would i need to do to get in?

thanks !!

kuytbird

HSC
Yes! I might be trying to do the same thing, though im going to try to apply for a sports scholarship (saves money)

And yes, there definitely are application tests.

4theHSC

HSC
Mikkx said:

i want to go to America for university, and i was wondering how i'm able to do that.

do i have to take any extra exams , and in general what would i need to do to get in?

thanks !!
Well yeah you prolli have to do a seperate test to get into an international university, its called the IB I think... and its totally seperate from the HSC, few schools in NSW use the IB as it is more widely recognisable (HSC is within Australia). So if you want to study overseas I recommend you looking into schools that prepare you for that exam.

:wave:

p900

HSC
N/A
You must take the SAT or the ACT. If you want to be admitted to the Ivies or top unis like chicago, duke, MIT and CIT you must be good at everything you do. You need to score highly on the SAT and have lots of EC activities.

X

xeuyrawp

Mikkx said:

thanks !!
Why do you want to do it, out of curiosity?

Mikkx

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Why do you want to do it, out of curiosity?
its jst that i don't want to spend my whole education life in australia and i want to go somewhere else .

i was thinking of somewhere in europe , but i have some relatives that live in america :)

thanks for you help guys ! i`ll look into it a bit more ; meanwhile ,feel free to give more help !

arjungamer123

HSC
SAT, SAT subject tests or ACT.

Also you don't need to take the IB. IB is just an international equivalent competitor of the HSC. Though it is much, much harder.

HSC
yeah im planning on going to america as well. either MIT, berkeley or stanford.. but i dont think im gonna get in... im not THAT smart.

u gotta do SATs or IB.. preferably SAT. im in yr 11 this yr. just talk to ur careers advisor at school and they'll give u a whole bunch of detail.

i was also planning on going to england.. but probably stick with america for now.

i get what u mean by u dont wana spend ur whole education life here.

also... it costs HEAPS of money to study in america. around US$50 000 a year for living costs and tuition fees. excluding visas, application fees and airfares etc just to get to america and start up costs.

think about going to uni here and work over there later? otherwise.. good luck!

HSC
also if you want to get into MIT, stanford, berkeley...

you kinda have to do ALL 3 SCIENCES. and a few years of foreign language (some - stanford 3-4 yrs of frgn. language)

Ezzdawg

HSC
Useful tip: subject choices for those who are still in yr 10-11

if you plan on going to america..stay away from commerce subjects ie. Business studies, economics, legal etc...because they are USELESS in helping you getting into america unis, not only because things are different there, they do not recognise commerce based subjects as uni preparation subjects and they are regarded as lower quality or less vigorous than Maths and sciences

If you are serious about going to america,

do the maths..2U, 3U or even 4U if ur keen
and all three sciences are very...i mean VERY helpful in helping you getting into america unis.

another good thing to do is a foreign language, French and Spanish would be good..

that is all.

arjungamer123

HSC
Whoever said that you have to do SAT or IB is dead wrong.

For 99% of schools you must submit either SATs or ACT(a competitor standardised test)

And trust me on this one guys; Harvard and MIT are out of most Australians' reach. Trust me on this one. Americans have a hard enough time getting in to MIT. It's not like USYD where you can still go if you get the required UAI for lower-UAI requiring course. Absolutely not.

I don't want to be a buzzkill. Just understand that out government trains us in such a way as to prevent us from going overseas. In america, they look at ALL of your grades, even from Year 9; while over here, teachers keep telling you, "Don't worry, your not in Yr 12 yet".

Ezzdawg

HSC
Whoever said that you have to do SAT or IB is dead wrong.

For 99% of schools you must submit either SATs or ACT(a competitor standardised test)

And trust me on this one guys; Harvard and MIT are out of most Australians' reach. Trust me on this one. Americans have a hard enough time getting in to MIT. It's not like USYD where you can still go if you get the required UAI for lower-UAI requiring course. Absolutely not.

I don't want to be a buzzkill. Just understand that out government trains us in such a way as to prevent us from going overseas. In america, they look at ALL of your grades, even from Year 9; while over here, teachers keep telling you, "Don't worry, your not in Yr 12 yet".

The dude is dead right.

Some schools ask for your reports from yr9 allllll the way to yr12..

bloody ridiculous!

arjungamer123

HSC
No they want to see consistency. They want to see that you can stay consisten for 4 gruelling years of American college.

Luckily though; if you apply to a uni, you CAN get you principal to write a letter explaining the Aussie system. But that's at the Principals's discretion.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
So pretty much you can't get into a good American university unless you rock at maths and science??
That's is so shit! I'm not even doing Maths and Sci in my TCE and i was like the third smartest person in my grade this year! And surely there are people who have brains that are either (forgot the word, so I'm just going to say maths-minded) or like, humanities minded, and its a genetic thing? As in, most people who are going on to became influential sociologists and poets aren't going to be also amazing Mathematicians.

arjungamer123

HSC
So pretty much you can't get into a good American university unless you rock at maths and science??
That's is so shit! I'm not even doing Maths and Sci in my TCE and i was like the third smartest person in my grade this year! And surely there are people who have brains that are either (forgot the word, so I'm just going to say maths-minded) or like, humanities minded, and its a genetic thing? As in, most people who are going on to became influential sociologists and poets aren't going to be also amazing Mathematicians.
I don't recall saying that you needed to have technical skills to get in to uni over there.

You have misquoted me somewhere. You could not be more wrong.

And datchik was wrong. You don't have to do all 3 sciences. It's just that Americans do not regard "Business Studies" and such as real, rigorous courses.

Last edited:

umaycallmealex

HSC
Hey there, I'm applying to American universities for 2009, and I'm at the end of the enormous process which has taken half my holidays.
Just wanted to butt in to clarify some stuff; thought it might be helpful since I've spent months reading up on this stuff and when I started trying I had absolutely no clue what to do.

First you ought to know that at the biggest colleges - and the more generous smaller ones - admission is needs-blind, and all demonstrated need is provided. That is, they'll let you in regardless of if you can pay, and then they'll give you all the money you need to make it possible for you to study there. For these nice ones, it's INTERNATIONAL needs-blind too. Princeton, for example, pay on average 70% of each student's tuition and board. Princeton Harvard Yale Georgetown are among the best; Berkeley I've heard is good too.

You don't have to do the IB at all. Get good marks at school and submit your HSC/VCE/whatever you're doing.
On top of that you need to sit two exams - in Sydney they're run at Macquarie University on Saturday mornings monthly throughout each year.
The SAT I is a reasoning test, which goes on for quite a while; theoretically you don't need to study for it - it's said to test natural ability through easy maths/reading/writing - but it's good to do a little preparation.
The SAT II is comprised of subject tests, not unlike your school exams, and most top colleges demand you do three of them. The syllabi are often a little different to what you get here (I had to go learn pretty much a whole new Phys course the other week), but it's not too hard.
Other than that, you need teacher references and a rocking CV.
Extracurriculars are very impressive, but they don't want some cynical resume-obsessed dilettante - show you're passionate about a couple things and be deeply involved in them. Being a part-time member of eight clubs won't make you look appealing.
The colleges then often organise interview with alumni - who are lovely and not at all scary - and then you fill in your applications for financial aid.
Come late March, offers are sent to you along with how much money they'll offer, and you make your decision by May.
Then term starts in September/October.

Don't let yourself get talked out of it if it's what you want to do: it's potentially a life-changing opportunity, and the education there is world class.

If ya wanna talk to someone who actually knows their isht (ie not me), get in touch with education USA via the US embassy. They have tons of advisors and resources and things.

Good luck with it!

arjungamer123

HSC
You're pretty much spot on mate.

But berkeley is a public university of Cal.

They don't offer international need-blind clearance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)