Elite universities... :s (1 Viewer)

qscefbthm

HSC
N/A
Hiya,
I would really love to go to Oxford or Harvard or Sciences Po in Paris, and i know its probably just an impossible dream lol, but i was wondering, i know there is almost always gruelling interview process etc. to get into these unversities as foreign undergrad students, but i was wondering, what sorta of UAI would you need to even be considered. We are talking about the most elite universities of the world, but would only the peeps who got 100UAI need apply? Thx

adnan91

HSC
for bachelor of science at cambridge. u need four A's in a levels so i would say uai 99+. I know i guy who came top 10 in the world in physics and chemistry in his A levels, he applied for cambridge for med and they rejected him

arjungamer123

HSC
for bachelor of science at cambridge. u need four A's in a levels so i would say uai 99+. I know i guy who came top 10 in the world in physics and chemistry in his A levels, he applied for cambridge for med and they rejected him
That guy must have screwed up his interview then. If he didn;t there would no reason as to why he couldn't get in.

lifequest

HSC
That guy must have screwed up his interview then. If he didn;t there would no reason as to why he couldn't get in.
Aye. He probably did screw up his interviews.

A friend of mine is in MIT for engineering. 99.90ENTER.
Very good with the interview though.

They'll look for every single positive quality.
Leadership, community service, humour, confidence etc. etc.

I once dreamed of going to those Unis. I find it time consuming unless if you already know you're 99.9+ material (and the school captain of a private school helps!).

biik

HSC
N/A
what sorta of UAI would you need to even be considered.
To be eligible to apply to Oxford:
" * ACT Year 12 Certificate
* Higher school certificate (HSC) from New South Wales
* Northern Territory Certificate of Education (NTCE)
* South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE)
* Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE)
* Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
* Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE)
with a position of 98.5 to 99.5 in the University Admissions Index University Admissions Index (UAI) or Tertiary Entrance Rank (TER).
OR
* Senior Certificate from Queensland
with an overall position in band 1."

Check out International Qualifications - University of Oxford

Most subjects have additional tests:
ELAT, HAT, TSA, LNAT, STEP for English, History, PPE / E&M , Law, Maths respectively.

Last edited:

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
top 10 in the world ?

biik

HSC
N/A
They'll look for every single positive quality.
Leadership, community service, humour, confidence etc. etc.
These are completely irrelevant to the admissions process at both Oxford and Cambridge.
Only academic potential matters. Nothing else matters.

SoAmazing

HSC
I got into harvard and my TER is as illustrated in my signature. In the interview they were actually very interested in my extra-curricula involvement so you may want to join a couple of clubs and societies at school. It is best you be in only 1 or 2 clubs but be really involved in them than to sign up for ten and never even participate. and you need to start to look for two teachers who can be your academic references. you may also want to think about the financial cost of studying in one of these universities. I got in but in the end had to give up my position because i simply cannot afford it. They have financial assistance but this can only partially cover tuition fees, there is the huge factor of living and accomodation to consider. Im actually working part time for the next couple years and saving up so that i can reapply when i finish my degree here. hopefully by then i can afford it, (or maybe if im lucky i can get a scholarship but those are very scarce in terms of supporting international students like ourselves)

Last edited:

jenecis

HSC
I got into harvard and my TER is as illustrated in my signature. In the interview they were actually very interested in my extra-curricula involvement so you may want to join a couple of clubs and societies at school. It is best you be in only 1 or 2 clubs but be really involved in them than to sign up for ten and never even participate. and you need to start to look for two teachers who can be your academic references. you may also want to think about the financial cost of studying in one of these universities. I got in but in the end had to give up my position because i simply cannot afford it. They have financial assistance but this can only partially cover tuition fees, there is the huge factor of living and accomodation to consider. Im actually working part time for the next couple years and saving up so that i can reapply when i finish my degree here. hopefully by then i can afford it, (or maybe if im lucky i can get a scholarship but those are very scarce in terms of supporting international students like ourselves)
Are you sure that you've gotten into Harvard for Fall '09 (I'm just assuming this because your HSC is 2008)??

Decision emails for Fall '09 entries are sent out on April 1 2009.

SoAmazing

HSC
You can apply for early offer and outline that a decision to study in the US must be made before the end of january in correspondence to the offers made here in Aus.

jenecis

HSC
You can apply for early offer and outline that a decision to study in the US must be made before the end of january in correspondence to the offers made here in Aus.
Oh really? Is this only for international students, because Harvard eliminated its Early Decision program around 2 years ago.

SoAmazing

HSC
nah its not the early offer program. its for international students like you said. if your interested you should call the admission office. you just need to make it clear that you need a decision before their actual release because your offer in aus will lapse

jenecis

HSC
nah its not the early offer program. its for international students like you said. if your interested you should call the admission office. you just need to make it clear that you need a decision before their actual release because your offer in aus will lapse
Thanks for clearing that up. Wow, congrats on getting into Harvard btw. How much would it have cost you if you accepted the offer? My American cousin said their financial aid is pretty generous.

SoAmazing

HSC
Thanks for clearing that up. Wow, congrats on getting into Harvard btw. How much would it have cost you if you accepted the offer? My American cousin said their financial aid is pretty generous.
Financial aid is quite generous but it is also based partly on your parents income. it would cost approx 60k a year to study at harvard.

pearling

HSC
N/A
Sorry for bumping this up after a few months. I was wondering isnt Harvard fully needblind to intl students and they meet full demonstrated need of accepted students regardless of nationality? I just wanted to clarify this since whenever harvard/yale/princeton does their info night they always stress that an ivy league edu is affordable since they're need blind and meet full aid. Also harvard now requires student from a family earning <US$60000 to contribute nothing to a Harvard education.

HSC
N/A
If your an exceptional sports person in baseball or basketball and you play for major australian national teams and your able to then get signed up by american domestic teams mostly the junior teams pre-professional teams the contracts include education at harvard and the likes for free.

I know a person from our school that got into the chicago cubs(?) junior team and he got a schol for harvard.

Just stick to uni here lol why bother

HSC
N/A
Yeah of course they're better but unless you intend to move over there and live and use that degree, an american degree vs usyd/umelb/anu is going to be pretty similiar here in terms of getting jobs i would think... more important would be grades/interview skills etc

your going to be making a net loss if you come back here to use the degree because 60k x 4 years (undergrad only btw US system requires mba [Bcom here] MD JD etc for professional degrees) all that would cost way too much in return for the woeful salaries paid here compared to abroad.

GL though i envy you.

EDIT: just as an example: physio in the States is 4 years under grad + 3 years for DPT with intensive exams and interviews in the end there isn't much of a gain when you can work there with Usyd's 4 year degree with registration exams taken over there. But physio might not be your thing just example of how you can just use what you do here over there in less time and cost.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)