Is it really worth it? (1 Viewer)

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
A Semester overseas.... lots of wasted money... lots of people you want to round up and shoot due to obvious racial handicap.... is there really much benefit to the whole exchange program.... I think the whole experience would just leave me moody... Pros/Cons plz.

Peartie

HSC
well i just did one and i liked it - sure you lose money but its still a fun time to be had - and you dont care as much about marks (well at least i didnt because it was just a P/F in australia no matter what i got here)

and it also lets you actually experience other people and places etc....

elena24

HSC
well no offence, but a quote like that says it all....("everyone is so backwards"...!!)

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
If you think it's not worth it, why the hell are you considering it anyways?

Don't go, it'll waste your time and money.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
if i had the money and i knew it would be a waste of money id do it just for the experience. kudos to Peartie

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
Australia is superior to everywhere else.... Do not stay overseas for too long, that is my advice to you my friends.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
1 semester is a shit long. i was over seas of 3 months and i was dying to get back

Peartie

HSC
i just did a 6 month stint at a uni in germany, in transit atm... - wanted to extend it but unfortunatley degree / funds wouldnt allow it :(

elena24

HSC
oh wow really..how did you like it? what city in germany, and did you have difficulty with language barriers or did u know german?

Schoey93

HSC
A Semester overseas.... lots of wasted money... lots of people you want to round up and shoot due to obvious racial handicap.... is there really much benefit to the whole exchange program.... I think the whole experience would just leave me moody... Pros/Cons plz.

TBH, I'm going to be very very blunt here. The reason you don't value student exchange programs is, because, it comes across in your written expression that you're a very close-minded person. Hahaha. :) I'm guessing you're one of the types who cleans their house obsessively and is TERRIFIED of plane travel?

• Pros:
  • you WILL (note the use of 'will', not 'might'.) learn German/any language only if you have an open mind... close-minded adults don't learn languages very well, 'cos they can't "turn their mind to a sponge".
  • I speak three languages, so I would know lol... it sucks not to be able to communicate with two thirds of the word (English is in fact the THIRD most spoken language in the world today):
  • Mandarin Chinese > Spanish incl. second language speakers > English.
  • If you don't learn NOW, before you're sixty-five...well shhhucks to be u is all I can say. :devil:
  • ANYHOW, don't take my advice TOOO seriously. I'm organising to do a student exhange through HIGH SCHOOL. And you flecking whinge about how it's so hard @ Uni. Sorry, but I find that kinda VERY offensive.
  • How dare you. Honestly ... like... the whole point of an exchange is to broaden your horizons, see and experience a culture you have not yet done, and so on. It's not about being "naturally pissed off" or whateva was said @ helpless locals.
Cons

• I don't think a person like you, would clearly doesn't see the value OF exhange needs help and should really realise that she's not well-equipped for exchange.
  • Nothing against YOU as a person...just sick to death of people whinging instead of doing their own research.
  • ::LINKS::

Student Exchange Australia

student exchnage - Google Search

- james. :)

Last edited:
HSC
^ Pros and Cons of OP, rather than of Student Exchange

Peartie

HSC
oh wow really..how did you like it? what city in germany, and did you have difficulty with language barriers or did u know german?
yes indeed i loved it :) It was great fun, great time, great learning experience.

I was in Giessen - near Frankfurt....

no difficulty really - i knew some german and also did an intensive course before uni started which was worth it :D

Olly-Polly

HSC
I went on Exchange to America (i was in high school still am.. did year 10 over there) but i thought it was AMAZING a really great experience.. i loved it. the only bad part is coming back and catching up on everything and stuff. I went threw an exchange program called WEP.. its like situtated in Melb but its great. If you get the chance to go.. GO.

legendfunk

HSC
I was going to do exchange in high school but wasn't old/rich enough... It's much better to do it in uni cause it looks better on your CV.

I'm the explorer kinda person so I definitely wanna do it, and besides you make heaps of friends from another sitde of the world while learning more, having fun and exploring:wave:.

I wouldn't recommend going to the UK or USA though because you're not learning another language (hence, not opening yourself to anyone) and the USA is a dead boring place imo (except NYC. If you're thinkig I'm crazy by saying it's dead boring, consider that I've been to Detriot, Miami, Washington DC and Los Angeles... no atmosphere :sleep:)

spence

HSC
I was going to do exchange in high school but wasn't old/rich enough... It's much better to do it in uni cause it looks better on your CV.

I'm the explorer kinda person so I definitely wanna do it, and besides you make heaps of friends from another sitde of the world while learning more, having fun and exploring:wave:.

I wouldn't recommend going to the UK or USA though because you're not learning another language (hence, not opening yourself to anyone) and the USA is a dead boring place imo (except NYC. If you're thinkig I'm crazy by saying it's dead boring, consider that I've been to Detriot, Miami, Washington DC and Los Angeles... no atmosphere :sleep:)
I think you're crazy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)