Thread: Study Chinese

HSC
    N/A

Study Chinese

This is Ken, I am thinking of starting my Chinese seriously by going to China, can anybody give me some suggestions or comments on universities and schools in China..

many thanks

HSC
    N/A

Re: Study Chinese

Hey Ken,

Learning Chinese has lots of career prospects. There are several Chinese learning schools in Beijing and Kunming in China with lots of study abroad programs. You may follow my signature also.

HSC
    N/A

Hey ale45,

Thank you for your information...

Minds Abroad looks good. They have a good website. The program they present is convincing with quality teaching staff, reasonable price and attractive travel activities.

I am going to shoot them an email and ask for more details.

Thank you again...

HSC
    N/A

My friend just completed a gap year where she spent 9 months in Taiwan learning Chinese Mandarin. That is 9 months spent very well. She has excellent chinese now and can read and write hold conversation.

I have been learning Chinese via CDs for a couple of years now and my ability is nothing compared to her standard.

HSC

You haven't specified in your profile whether you have done or are still doing your HSC, and when. If you're still at uni, you can do an exchange program to China - I'd recommend Beijing over any other city because they speak Putonghua there (i.e. Mandarin, the national language) rather than one of the myriad dialects they have in China.

HSC
    N/A

Yeh Beijin is good. I would also recommend Shanghai.
    Most a major cities speak mandarin. The stranger dialects are found in rural country sides and more remote and less deveoped places.

Having said that, most cities have their own accent. The Beijin accent is very strong and easily identifiable

HSC
    N/A

So many career opportunities open up to you when you learn chinese or japanese. You've got your work cut out for you, but so is your future. Best of luck to you.

HSC

I get a feeling that this thread is A ONE BIG ADVERTISEMENT

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mr_robato View Post
    I get a feeling that this thread is A ONE BIG ADVERTISEMENT

If it is, it is one big ''Rubbish"" Advertisement, because I still do not know what it is advertising yet

Someone might need to go back to marketing school.
    :wave: Blog just updated - Speed Reeding
    My Blog : http://www.university-life-success.com/
    Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/louy.kent

Cadet
    HSC

Going on exchange or to a uni in China is going to be the cheapest/most recognised option. I had a friend go on exchange through Macquarie Uni to the Beijing Language and Culture University - www.blcu.edu.cn .
    It's a government university, not a company, and is a top teaching institution for Chinese language. But it has crazy bureaucracy! He had some interesting experiences getting admitted....it's not exactly organised....

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by louy View Post
    Yeh Beijin is good. I would also recommend Shanghai.
    Most a major cities speak mandarin. The stranger dialects are found in rural country sides and more remote and less deveoped places.

Having said that, most cities have their own accent. The Beijin accent is very strong and easily identifiable
    Alot of ppl in shanghai speaks shanghai dialect.!

HSC

yes

HSC

I am actually Chinese
    I recommend Peking Uni and Qinghua Uni which are the best unis in China .
    I don't think studying in Taiwan is a wise choice (no offence), even though they are both speaking Putonghua but it's like to study english you should go to London where speaks pure English rather than cardiff .Good luck!

HSC

Truth be told, learning Chinese is useless. Unless you are Chinese or you know people in China who are affluent or at least influential there is no use. My dad for example (who is Shanghainese) got scammed by Shanghai people who he knew after investing a few million in a supermarket chain... The only way to guarantee success is to know people in the Party and then you need not do anything. My dad's cousin for example does nothing and has a coal and steel empire for nothing but being in the Party and knowing others there. Sad China's corruption is just shit, of course there are some exceptions, but the majority of people I know who are very successful accord more to contacts in the Party or people who can help them. Also, a lot of people can tell if your local or not in China so... More scamming to them. Gay Chinese scammers.

If you want to learn Chinese though, just go to somewhere more relaxed i.e. Malaysia, HK or Taiwan. Or you can always go to Tsinghua... or Omegle

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Deathless View Post
    Truth be told, learning Chinese is useless. Unless you are Chinese or you know people in China who are affluent or at least influential there is no use. My dad for example (who is Shanghainese) got scammed by Shanghai people who he knew after investing a few million in a supermarket chain... The only way to guarantee success is to know people in the Party and then you need not do anything. My dad's cousin for example does nothing and has a coal and steel empire for nothing but being in the Party and knowing others there. Sad China's corruption is just shit, of course there are some exceptions, but the majority of people I know who are very successful accord more to contacts in the Party or people who can help them. Also, a lot of people can tell if your local or not in China so... More scamming to them. Gay Chinese scammers.

If you want to learn Chinese though, just go to somewhere more relaxed i.e. Malaysia, HK or Taiwan. Or you can always go to Tsinghua... or Omegle
    unsw

HSC

i'm not an expert on this, but my sister is, and in the business world, being able to speak another language is always a bonus. there's a huge fuss about china especially now, so why not jump on the bandwagon? even if you don't actually use it, i can tell you that it can be a great hook on your CV.

in any case, not only is bilinguality a good skill, overseas studies are always a great opportunity for more than just language improvement. good luck!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Deathless View Post
    That's why you avoid being scammed in the first place, to make big bucks. China's market is huge.

Hating HSC English? You're not the only one.

Bored of Studies Groups - I hate HSC English

Chuck Norris doesn't have to do med interviews to get into Med. He just comes into the interview room and they're like "OMG CHUK NORIS PLS DONT KIL ME u dont hav 2 do da interveiwz kk? thx babe"

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by katastrophe View Post
    i'm not an expert on this, but my sister is, and in the business world, being able to speak another language is always a bonus. there's a huge fuss about china especially now, so why not jump on the bandwagon? even if you don't actually use it, i can tell you that it can be a great hook on your CV.

in any case, not only is bilinguality a good skill, overseas studies are always a great opportunity for more than just language improvement. good luck!
    There was a bandwagon for Japanese back in the 80s too lol

Thread Information