Brown University & Other Ivy Leagues (1 Viewer)

EmmaLee93

HSC
Hello,

Has anyone gone through the admissions process for Brown University?
Just wanted a bit of information about it.

Also, what are the equivalent Australian Universities to those of the Ivy League in America?

lychnobity

HSC
Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Hello,
Also, what are the equivalent Australian Universities to those of the Ivy League in America?
Australian National University
University of Sydney
University of New South Wales
University of Melbourne
Monash University
University of Western Australia
University of Queensland
University of South Australia

Ben1220

HSC
Australian National University
University of Sydney
University of New South Wales
University of Melbourne
Monash University
University of Western Australia
University of Queensland
University of South Australia
well yes, the go8 or the sandstone universities in Australia are seen as the ivy league of Australia, but they aren't as highly ranked as the actual ivy leauge. You just can't quite get the same thing in Australia. Melbourne, Sydney, NSW and ANU are usually fairly highly rated on international rankings though. The problem with rankings are that they can be subjective. For example Melbourne Uni ranges from around 20 in the world for some and around 80 for others, but in all ranking systems, the ivy league are higher than anything in Australia, generally making up most of the positions in the top 10 unis in the world.

Also, I know that some prestigious universities in USA have student blogs, many of which would probably give personal experiences of what the admissions procedures entail. I'm not sure exactly which Unis do this, but I'm sure you can find out if you take a look around.

merillem

HSC
Melbourne, Sydney, NSW and ANU are usually fairly highly rated on international rankings though. The problem with rankings are that they can be subjective. For example Melbourne Uni ranges from around 20 in the world for some and around 80 for others, but in all ranking systems, the ivy league are higher than anything in Australia, generally making up most of the positions in the top 10 unis in the world.
Jiao Tong is generally considered the most rigourous of the world rankings, but there's plenty of debate about how these rankings are determined.

Academic Ranking of World Universities

lychnobity

HSC
Jiao Tong is generally considered the most rigourous of the world rankings, but there's plenty of debate about how these rankings are determined.

Academic Ranking of World Universities
I was surprised to see Brown at number 71 on that list. ANU also unexpectedly topped all other Australian unis to come in at 31st, with the next Australian uni (USyd) in at number 97. Holy crap.

X

xeuyrawp

Remember that the Ivy League is a sporting union... :S

(Will be applying to three of them for next year anyway)

blackrider89

HSC
I was surprised to see Brown at number 71 on that list. ANU also unexpectedly topped all other Australian unis to come in at 31st, with the next Australian uni (USyd) in at number 97. Holy crap.
Why "holy crap"? Or u assume that the ranking of the THES to be more rigorous? SHJT's ranking has a favor (maybe bias(es)) on American Universities (sounds reasonable) so we can assume that Brown Uni was not treated badly. And as one said above, SHJT is often considered the most rigorous and well-cited one (we can't demand it to be perfect for sure).

Wait 4 the THES and SHJT'2009 ones anyway.

Ivy league's similar 2 our G8 in some aspects. The most obvious one is that the members are all good Universities but not necessarily the best ones. One should remember this.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Remember that the Ivy League is a sporting union... :S

(Will be applying to three of them for next year anyway)
Yes etc but the universities within this Ivy League are generally considered to be some of the best in the world .. At everything ... including life... =\

edit: i know you know but for everyone else. <3

X

xeuyrawp

Yes etc but the universities within this Ivy League are generally considered to be some of the best in the world .. At everything ... including life... =\
Yeah well people need to be reminded... :p

It's like someone who posted in the General University forum 'What happens when a Go8 uni is ranked lower?' <- like wtf?

edit: i know you know but for everyone else
There's Mastercard?

<3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)